Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on August 27, 2009, 10:26:33 AM
Dempsey took no shit as a player

Really?
Dempsey was a decent player but I didnt know he had a hard man reputation?
I dont want to insult anyone but I had a conversation lately about the three players that hit the ground and stayed down in that melee in '96. I think you know where im going with this...  ;)

and he has applied that trait well to management and deals with problems quickly as best he can. I agree with that the cracks were there to be seen in the Galway match regarding our defence and midfield. I'm just wondering where are the players going to come from?
I would agree there as he seems to learn quickly from his mistakes and changes tactics quickly

Keith Higgins was the only player not to be from a senior team. I hope that the management take a look at the inter and junior scene around the county,the standard of football might not be of the same quality but there are often individuals who stand out and would be worth taking a look at.

I dont think that Intermediate teams are being over looked at all.
Off the top of my head you have Billy Joe (Belmullet), Austy (whom I hear will be back with Louisburg soon), Alan Dillon (who made it when we were still Intermediate), David Heaney (Swinford)...

the Deel Rover

since ye lads are on about senior intermediate and junior club players playing intercounty football  found it interesting that of the cork team that started on sunday only 6 of them played senior club football (thats according to the sunday independent )
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 27, 2009, 11:15:59 AM
since ye lads are on about senior intermediate and junior club players playing intercounty football  found it interesting that of the cork team that started on sunday only 6 of them played senior club football (thats according to the sunday independent )

Really. Anybody know how many senior clubs in Cork?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2009, 01:46:58 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 27, 2009, 11:15:59 AM

Really. Anybody know how many senior clubs in Cork?

yeah thought it was unusual myself nearly sure it said one of the midfielders could be o'connor plays junior football ( i will try and locate the piece and paste it moysider) Don't know how many senior clubs they have but i'm nearly sure i read that they have the highest number of senior clubs in the country but i could be wrong  on that
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo4Sam

Dempsey was well able to look after himself, never one to shy away. He played on a knockmore team renowned for its toughness, rambo, stan, peter B, even the smaller lads like joe davis cld all take care of themselves. Defo not a coward. Not sure if he lied in '96 but i'd doubt it. He's a good manager, sees things early & acts. Picks big men as well, you'd see no conoreen & have a massive full back line
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

If Dempsey lied down in 1996 I'm sure it was because he was after getting clocked in the chin by one of our dear friends from Meath and it wasn't by choice. Very true abbeysider, just hope they don't have the blinkers on regarding players in the junior and intermediate championships. Anybody remember the 6 forwards who played against Fermanagh in Sligo when we lost in the qualifiers a few years back in the pissings of rain?? Think all 6 were from intermediate clubs if memory serves me correctly? 2 Morts, Sheridan.....

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on August 27, 2009, 03:18:24 PM
If Dempsey lied down in 1996 I'm sure it was because he was after getting clocked in the chin by one of our dear friends from Meath and it wasn't by choice. Very true abbeysider, just hope they don't have the blinkers on regarding players in the junior and intermediate championships. Anybody remember the 6 forwards who played against Fermanagh in Sligo when we lost in the qualifiers a few years back in the pissings of rain?? Think all 6 were from intermediate clubs if memory serves me correctly? 2 Morts, Sheridan.....

Im not trying to get at the man at all. I was just recalling a conversation I had lately about the incident.
I thought he was a fine player and is an astute manager.

Here is my take on things...

[This is Rantish but here it goes]

I think the problem is worse than what we are indicating regarding players being picked.
Im sure there are a lot of players good enough down the divisions but the Mayo Senior set-up has taken a rather lazy attitude to whom and from where they are picking. I also think there are plenty of players in the county that are as good, if not better than whats there, and there isnt enough of guys getting a chance.

If JOM can only find the time to be at training once a week, if at all... then how is he supposed to be attending Senior, Intermetiate or Junior club games in search of players that are showing well?

Being a TD takes up all your time. He cant be attending many club games which is a worry.

The whole idea of JOM team building is a bit cod... how many players did he actually unearth on his own?
The young players he currently has on the panel; he has inherited from county U21 and Minor teams. He didnt have to look very far.

There are players out there that may have opted out of U21 or Minor for various reasons; due to college, work, injury or being abroad. Some of those players aged from 22 to 27 may never get their chance although they are proving it at club level. This is wrong.

Now, couple the above scenario with the following....

In Mayo in recent years, for some reason we seem to be giving the athletic type player more of a chance than someone that would be more talented.
I have harped on about this at length before, in fact I have been saying it for years. But there is a trend of guys that seem to train themselves onto the county panel (terrific athletes winning sprints and long runs but dont have as much talent/skill to cut it), and when in the white heat of championship they are found out. It happened this year and will happen again. They touched on a similar topic on the Sunday game a few months back and I think it is relevant in Mayo.

Finally (as well as the above), in the last decade (up until this year) Mayo have seemed to have constantly produced small forwards and small players in general.
As well as this we are seen as "nice" footballers and its sad to say; a bit of a soft touch.
I blame club referees in the county in the last decade for this.

Club referees seem to always favour the forwards and small players in a 50-50 tackle and have subsequently spoiled them.
It has been the case that small, light, fast forwards would run at defences and draw fouls (around the D) by diving about the place or going down too easy.
Its not the players fault the the referees blow for the foul as players will do anything to win/score. But this bad habit developed because of referees being soft on them.
These are the same forwards that you see week in week out in the local papers clocking up huge scores from frees at club level. A lot of the players that subsequently made county were not getting the frees when it came to Inter County.
Ill never forget Pat McEaney in Croke Park waving at Conor Mortimor to get up as played moved on.
The whole size profile of our players was very small compared to other counties. Not only are we small but we are not used to the rough and tumble and we are seen as soft. It needs to be addressed. The conditioning and size of Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and Meath seem to be on another level to us this year.

Mister_Mayor

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 27, 2009, 10:27:54 AM
Care to tell us ur club mister mayor?

No club now, living in exile for quite a while but still stay in touch with the scene, through the web and weekly phone calls home!

Farrandeelin

That's not too rantish at all Abbeysider. But we all know O'Mahony will not give up his Dáil seat just to manage Mayo, which I believe is wrong. He got the Mayo job BEFORE being elected to Dáil Éireann, a decision I couldn't understand given the terrible display against Galway the Sunday beforehand. I'm not going to rant on all night about this but...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mister_Mayor

Any truth to what I heard ...JOM has got a new two year deal?

ballinaman

In fairness to JOM, he is making the best of a bad situation. He combined the Dail with Mayo players based in Dublin training session on Tuesday nights in Lucan at the Garda grounds. Trainng sessions which had a fair whack of panel members, Conor Mort, Barry Moran, Cunniffe, Hennelly, Billy Joe, Austie, Ronaldson ect....Still, would be better if he was totally focused on the Mayo job!!

Farrandeelin

Well he got an extension to his current 3 year deal which was supposed to end this year by 2 years so that's it I think Mr Mayor.  He must make significant progress in the next 2 years (which won't happen imo) for him to be seen as a successful manager in many peoples eyes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Dempsey is wearing number 15 at the top of the picture slugging it out with Coyle, the bollocks. Dempsey can be accused of many things, but backing down is not one of them.

http://sportsfile.com/id/069353/
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 27, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
Dempsey is wearing number 15 at the top of the picture slugging it out with Coyle, the bollocks. Dempsey can be accused of many things, but backing down is not one of them.

Coyle and another at the same time.

It was Fat Larry who took a nap in the middle of the scrap.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2009, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 27, 2009, 10:21:55 PM

Coyle and another at the same time.

It was Fat Larry who took a nap in the middle of the scrap.

And Casey who looked around him, didn't like the heat of the kitchen, and hit the ground. Very funny if you're not from Mayo.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year