Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2009, 02:25:12 PM
I'd imagine dempsey has to be clear favourite to get the job after JOM. I can't see any other candidate from within the county. As for TJ, catch a grip. I'd say he doesn't even want the job. Where do these random thoughts come out of?

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2009, 02:35:02 PM
And how would a new manager get pearce hanley back? Thats hardly JOM'S fault, not that you'd let that get in the way of ur bias

Dont even entertain him!  ;)

rosnarun

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2009, 02:35:02 PM
And how would a new manager get pearce hanley back? Thats hardly JOM'S fault, not that you'd let that get in the way of ur bias
nothing to do with JOM but his contract is up have heard it it was being renewed. abit of encouragement could go a long way.
So what  do people suggest leave Omahoney there cause were doomed anyway? there are dozens of managers outhere worth trying and they couldn't do a whole lot worse than the current one
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

I just read over the thread now and it appears the 3 year time-frame Mayo4Sam had given O'Mahony initially has run out. Will he call for his head. It's on Page 2/3 in this thread. :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2009, 10:00:32 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 12, 2009, 09:43:21 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 12, 2009, 09:31:43 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 12, 2009, 06:24:41 AM
Yes - TJ's outstanding management record put's him streets ahead of any other possible candidates.

:D :D sorry ros couldn't help myself ;)

well used to it
its about getting the manager that fits . the right ointment for the right Cut . JOM may have been it for galway at the time but very wrong for this mayo team. like pat holme was the wrong man for mayo a few years back but is really turning in good  results for the u21's.
I think some one with the respect through out the county that TJ has would start off on at a huge advantage.

Have I been missing something with the U21 results?! Our U21 display v Down this year was pathetic. A traditional county shaking their jersey and we rolled as badly as we have at senior in the past. Dont let that U21 AI win against Cork disguise the faltering the other years. The fact is we ve only converted 1 from 4 Connachts into AIs. That is not good unless your happy with beating our neighbours.

I've argued with you before on this Moysider so I guess I'll have to do so again :P

We have done very well with this Under 21 team. True, when we got to the All-Ireland series we have only won one All-Ireland but bear in mind that it was our first All-Ireland at any level since 1985. Also none of these lads had ever won a Connacht minor title, with the exception of O'Shea, Freeman, Hennelly etc this year. So it is not as if we had teams who had won all before them. We had lads with ability, true, but to win four in a row deserves serious commendation. I know you have made the point about certain players not being picked and I'd have to agree with you on a lot of them. But what I really like about the teams Holmes and Connelly send out are how they get them playing fairly close to the peak of their powers nearly all the time. They weren't hectic when they started out in Leitrim in 2006 but they stuck at it and won narrow games against Tyrone and Cork to win an All-Ireland a lot of other Mayo teams of greater ability wouldn't have been able to do. We've seen character in our under 21 teams not often seen in other Mayo teams.

I'm not saying Holmes and Connelly should be the next Mayo management at senior level but they certainly bring something to the table, particularly Connelly. Perhaps part of an overall management team. Again that's not a discussion for now with O'Mahony waiting on but woudln't it be great if he brought Connelly on this year as an extra selector? Any thoughts?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2009, 12:32:09 PM
I just read over the thread now and it appears the 3 year time-frame Mayo4Sam had given O'Mahony initially has run out. Will he call for his head. It's on Page 2/3 in this thread. :)

Stabbed in the back by one of my own, to close to the town and ardagh i fear  ;)

I think JOM still has a work in progress, we have made improvement over the past 3 years, we have a good young team. I would be more than happy to keep him there for another 2 years.

It's ironic that the FF ones who claim that theres no alternative in government should be on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to football, i.e. anybody could do a better job/nobody could do worse
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Zulu

Quotesome one like mickey ned o sullivan

Jesus, the Limerick lads would pay for the taxi up to Mayo if they thought ye'd take him.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 14, 2009, 06:28:23 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2009, 12:32:09 PM

Stabbed in the back by one of my own, to close to the town and ardagh i fear  ;)

I think JOM still has a work in progress, we have made improvement over the past 3 years, we have a good young team. I would be more than happy to keep him there for another 2 years.

It's ironic that the FF ones who claim that theres no alternative in government should be on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to football, i.e. anybody could do a better job/nobody could do worse

It's not my fault the parish is so big! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 14, 2009, 03:29:45 PM
Yes - TJ's outstanding management record put's him streets ahead of any other possible candidates.

well used to it
its about getting the manager that fits . the right ointment for the right Cut . JOM may have been it for galway at the time but very wrong for this mayo team. like pat holme was the wrong man for mayo a few years back but is really turning in good  results for the u21's.
I think some one with the respect through out the county that TJ has would start off on at a huge advantage.

Have I been missing something with the U21 results?! Our U21 display v Down this year was pathetic. A traditional county shaking their jersey and we rolled as badly as we have at senior in the past. Dont let that U21 AI win against Cork disguise the faltering the other years. The fact is we ve only converted 1 from 4 Connachts into AIs. That is not good unless your happy with beating our neighbours.

I've argued with you before on this Moysider so I guess I'll have to do so again :P

We have done very well with this Under 21 team. True, when we got to the All-Ireland series we have only won one All-Ireland but bear in mind that it was our first All-Ireland at any level since 1985. Also none of these lads had ever won a Connacht minor title, with the exception of O'Shea, Freeman, Hennelly etc this year. So it is not as if we had teams who had won all before them. We had lads with ability, true, but to win four in a row deserves serious commendation. I know you have made the point about certain players not being picked and I'd have to agree with you on a lot of them. But what I really like about the teams Holmes and Connelly send out are how they get them playing fairly close to the peak of their powers nearly all the time. They weren't hectic when they started out in Leitrim in 2006 but they stuck at it and won narrow games against Tyrone and Cork to win an All-Ireland a lot of other Mayo teams of greater ability wouldn't have been able to do. We've seen character in our under 21 teams not often seen in other Mayo teams.

I'm not saying Holmes and Connelly should be the next Mayo management at senior level but they certainly bring something to the table, particularly Connelly. Perhaps part of an overall management team. Again that's not a discussion for now with O'Mahony waiting on but woudln't it be great if he brought Connelly on this year as an extra selector? Any thoughts?

I m not really aware of what Connelly brings to the table - steel, fire and brimstone? I dont really know.

I honestly think Johnno should bring in new faces and new voices - a different perspective.

I ll stick to my guns on the the U21 debate. I think we need to distinguish good management and good fortune. There was a certain amount of fortune in 06 on way to winning  that AI, as there was this year to beat Ros. What we have been failing to do at senior for  half a century is convert Connachts into AIs. This management seems to be the same failing to reach another final. You d think they would be able to repeat the trick if they knew how to do it. The laois and Down teams they lost to were very beatable.

While those lads had not won before and after them at minor I dont think anybody wants to go there.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on August 14, 2009, 10:01:05 PM

well used to it

I m not really aware of what Connelly brings to the table - steel, fire and brimstone? I dont really know.

I honestly think Johnno should bring in new faces and new voices - a different perspective.

I ll stick to my guns on the the U21 debate. I think we need to distinguish good management and good fortune. There was a certain amount of fortune in 06 on way to winning  that AI, as there was this year to beat Ros. What we have been failing to do at senior for  half a century is convert Connachts into AIs. This management seems to be the same failing to reach another final. You d think they would be able to repeat the trick if they knew how to do it. The laois and Down teams they lost to were very beatable.

While those lads had not won before and after them at minor I dont think anybody wants to go there.

I'm sure you and I have different opinions on how beneficial Connelly's attributes would be. I think he brings a badly needed determination and passion that we often lack. He was a great leader as a player, whilst of limited enough ability, and he'll bring that to the sideline too. Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher bring certain qualities to the table but I fear that they won't bring as much passion as Connelly might. But O'Mahony won't bring him in because he'd be too much of his own man . . .

I think there was luck against Tyrone in 2006 because they were the second best team. But, honestly, how often are Mayo the second best team and win? Very rarely. Luck played a part but they showed character too, something management have to take credit for. Roscommon, this year, was pure luck though. Jammy goal and a game we probably threw away prior to that.

I think too that the fact that the under 21s as minors had won feck all is very notable. Sure, we don't have to look at the cause of why they didn't, we could take all night about that. But we can look at the effect that has. They aren't used to winning and they've had less games at a higher level than lads who might win provincial titles. You can only see the benefit last year's minors had from playing so many games and how they improved as a team and individuals as they went along. Most of the players that holmes and connelly had at under 21 didn't have that luxury. It's a very salient point in my opinion.

stephenite

David Brady taking over from Kieran Gallagher as a selector with Mayo

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 15, 2009, 12:46:27 PM

well used to it

I'm sure you and I have different opinions on how beneficial Connelly's attributes would be. I think he brings a badly needed determination and passion that we often lack. He was a great leader as a player, whilst of limited enough ability, and he'll bring that to the sideline too. Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher bring certain qualities to the table but I fear that they won't bring as much passion as Connelly might. But O'Mahony won't bring him in because he'd be too much of his own man . . .

I think there was luck against Tyrone in 2006 because they were the second best team. But, honestly, how often are Mayo the second best team and win? Very rarely. Luck played a part but they showed character too, something management have to take credit for. Roscommon, this year, was pure luck though. Jammy goal and a game we probably threw away prior to that.

I think too that the fact that the under 21s as minors had won feck all is very notable. Sure, we don't have to look at the cause of why they didn't, we could take all night about that. But we can look at the effect that has. They aren't used to winning and they've had less games at a higher level than lads who might win provincial titles. You can only see the benefit last year's minors had from playing so many games and how they improved as a team and individuals as they went along. Most of the players that holmes and connelly had at under 21 didn't have that luxury. It's a very salient point in my opinion.

Our minors were very poor between Keane and Dempsey. Some of the current seniors cut their teeth in those years.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2009, 10:21:04 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 15, 2009, 12:46:27 PM

well used to it

Our minors were very poor between Keane and Dempsey. Some of the current seniors cut their teeth in those years.

I don't quite see what you're saying?? The minors were poor in those years, hence how the Under 21s achievements should be heightened . . .

Barney

Stephenite where is this Brady for Gallagher story coming from?

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on August 16, 2009, 09:21:08 AM

Swinford is my source on thie one.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2009, 09:50:09 AM
Quote from: Barney on August 16, 2009, 09:21:08 AM

Swinford is my source on thie one.

Oh you are actually serious? Jaysus I can't buy that one.