Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on July 29, 2009, 12:43:11 PM
just as well you got your apology in before the ballina mafia put a hit out on you

I'd agree with him

Farrandeelin

Yeah, I couldn't believe the heading in ths sports pages of the Western yesterday when I opened it. The thing is, there's people who know nothing about football who 'buy in' to the hype that has come around and it is really annoying.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2009, 02:17:51 PM
Yeah, I couldn't believe the heading in ths sports pages of the Western yesterday when I opened it. The thing is, there's people who know nothing about football who 'buy in' to the hype that has come around and it is really annoying.

That article by Hennigan is a joke! Have they no cop on at all and keep a lid on things never mind banging on about an all-ireland final and us only in the quarters yet

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2009, 02:17:51 PM
thats the championship .
if these people didnt 'nuy in'  thered be the 1000 or so in croke park that turned up to watch derry.
rember how bleak things seemed that day
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

In fairness to the locals they do stir up interest. And they do a 'good cop/bad cop' take on things. One piece builds expectations up and another - like McStays column [ which I find little wrong with] dampens things down a bit. Most papers run with this formula. So what? There selling a product. I d say Mayo football season is a big seller for them.

If, if the performance of our county team is affected by stuff written in papers and by the people that read this and are informed by hype [ I m hearing gospel already from men that have nt been at a county game since 96/97 ], there s no hope for us. Johnno s forté, as has always been advanced, is supposedly that of a man that can focus a team on the big picture. This is his time. He s brought this team into open country this year. The field is open if we re good enough to make a semi or a final. He s done this before. f**k the hype. Cant believe we re still talking about this kind of shite 20 years later. We re either good enough or not. Hype is no excuse if we come up short.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2009, 02:23:08 AM
He s done this before. f**k the hype. Cant believe we re still talking about this kind of shite 20 years later. We re either good enough or not. Hype is no excuse if we come up short.

I wouldnt wholly agree there. Hype can be a factor in a teams performance.

Look at Dublin in recent years: Every tabloid and broad sheet having pages and pages dedicated to them. Turning average players into heros and them believing their own hype. It has a negative effect on Dublins performance.

England in any world cup or big tournaments: again tabloids have a part to play in hyping players up causing a pressure cooker, where they always crack.

Mayo in the latter stages of the All Ireland series: Local paper, Mad Whest hype machine, again creating pressure and harping on about the famine since '50 and '51. All to ill effect.

Its easy say, f**k the hype but its not that easy in practice. County players should try and avoid it at all costs... Jack O Connor used to take the phones off the players the day before the match. Also Donaghy I remember reading about Donaghy in The Keys to the Kingdom (I think it was that book but it could have been an article).

I found the quote;

"I don't pay much attention to the stuff that's written about me. I've been staying away from the papers. My mother, Deirdre, has been collecting them for me, though, and I might have a look at them when the championship is over.

Media coverage is part and parcel of the game and I have no problem with that. But it would be very easy to believe in all the hype. If you did that, you'd be setting yourself up for a big fall, he says."

Kieran Donaghy - 2006

Farrandeelin

Sure MWR are in on the hype now. The 'Sam Maguire my heart's on fire' song was played last night! :-\

Tubberman

QuoteSure MWR are in on the hype now. The 'Sam Maguire my heart's on fire' song was played last night!

LOL - ah you have to laugh  :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

Quote from: Tubberman on July 30, 2009, 12:45:44 PM
QuoteSure MWR are in on the hype now. The 'Sam Maguire my heart's on fire' song was played last night!

LOL - ah you have to laugh  :D

What song is this - any links for it?

I love the cringe factor in GAA songs, anyone remember Doc's in 1989? :D

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 30, 2009, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2009, 02:23:08 AM
He s done this before. f**k the hype. Cant believe we re still talking about this kind of shite 20 years later. We re either good enough or not. Hype is no excuse if we come up short.

I wouldnt wholly agree there. Hype can be a factor in a teams performance.

Look at Dublin in recent years: Every tabloid and broad sheet having pages and pages dedicated to them. Turning average players into heros and them believing their own hype. It has a negative effect on Dublins performance.

England in any world cup or big tournaments: again tabloids have a part to play in hyping players up causing a pressure cooker, where they always crack.

Mayo in the latter stages of the All Ireland series: Local paper, Mad Whest hype machine, again creating pressure and harping on about the famine since '50 and '51. All to ill effect.

Its easy say, f**k the hype but its not that easy in practice. County players should try and avoid it at all costs... Jack O Connor used to take the phones off the players the day before the match. Also Donaghy I remember reading about Donaghy in The Keys to the Kingdom (I think it was that book but it could have been an article).

I found the quote;

"I don't pay much attention to the stuff that's written about me. I've been staying away from the papers. My mother, Deirdre, has been collecting them for me, though, and I might have a look at them when the championship is over.

Media coverage is part and parcel of the game and I have no problem with that. But it would be very easy to believe in all the hype. If you did that, you'd be setting yourself up for a big fall, he says."

Kieran Donaghy - 2006

Exactly what I was trying to say. If a team believes the hype then there s no hope. Dublin and England may be daft enough to buy into the shite but thats tough. Or maybe they have nt been good enough. There s hype and hysteria in Italy and Brazil as well - but they still win. There s probably more talk about football in Kerry than anywhere else, yet they rise above it. Donaghy s quote informative. I would expect Mayo players to be similarly mature. Have we doubts about some of them?

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2009, 12:48:51 PM
Exactly what I was trying to say. If a team believes the hype then there s no hope. Dublin and England may be daft enough to buy into the shite but thats tough. Or maybe they have nt been good enough. There s hype and hysteria in Italy and Brazil as well - but they still win. There s probably more talk about football in Kerry than anywhere else, yet they rise above it. Donaghy s quote informative. I would expect Mayo players to be similarly mature. Have we doubts about some of them?

Id have my doubts about a few but there isnt much point in going there!

The hype pressure cooker in Mayo is based around articles and Mad Whest belting on about the long wait since '51.
Even that piece on Mayo football on RTE radio the last day was a prime example of it.

It starts:
"Every year since 1951 Mayo fans have been left holding their faces in their hands as the countys best have failed to cross the winning line yet again..."

"3 generations of Mayo have suffered and mourned in this valley of tears, but yet the dreams begin anew each year..."
http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-270609-41m50s-doconone.mp3

FFS... that kind of shite, loser talk is all part of the hype and build up we have seen in the build us. Its no good for anyone.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 30, 2009, 01:50:23 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2009, 12:48:51 PM

Id have my doubts about a few but there isnt much point in going there!

The hype pressure cooker in Mayo is based around articles and Mad Whest belting on about the long wait since '51.
Even that piece on Mayo football on RTE radio the last day was a prime example of it.

It starts:
"Every year since 1951 Mayo fans have been left holding their faces in their hands as the countys best have failed to cross the winning line yet again..."

"3 generations of Mayo have suffered and mourned in this valley of tears, but yet the dreams begin anew each year..."
http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-270609-41m50s-doconone.mp3

FFS... that kind of shite, loser talk is all part of the hype and build up we have seen in the build us. Its no good for anyone.

True. True, but its not going to go away any time soon. Everybody knows its there so it has to be dealt with by management and players. Johnno famously said that he d have loved to have been in charge in the run -up to 06 final. Now is the time for him to do his stuff. As I said he s done all this before.

Farrandeelin

I never left anywhere with my head in my hands. I only use a couple of expletives at certain players, refs, management on the journey home.

rosnarun

truce is well over let the executions begin
will jom last the night.
Ill hold off in case ii say some I regret but fuuck
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2