Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

OkeyDoke

You were very quick with that photo Barney
Barney aka Michael Donnelly perhaps  ;)

lynchbhoy

Delighted to see Mayo getting one of the best managers in the game.
He might ruffle a few feathers in the mayo camp though.

Hope he does well

would like to see mayo win Sam

OkeyDoke

Great news all round about the new management set-up. The only problem is that the supporters will now place intense pressure on both the players and the management, you can hear them saying 'sure if ye don't win it now, ye never will' . But i believe that this current crop of players are very close to the mark.
I feel they're as good as whats in the country at the mo, tactics was always the problem. We played too cavalier all year esp in the final. I know thats what made us good to watch but once we were in the final, we should have played 12 men behind the ball for the first 15-20 mins, i bet that what Tyrone or Armagh would have done. If JOM was in charge, thats what we prob would have done.
It's just that Beffer and MM were obsessed with this 'Brazil philosophy' which proved to be our downfall in the end.
Anyways, a new era has started and we need to row in behind the team and not put too much pressure on them. All the senior players incl DB will prob stay on, just to get the opportunity to play under JOM, and i'm sure he'll unearth a few more players.
Bulking up is very important for this year as we're just not physical enough at the mo.
Re positions, Trev Mort will be a massive addition, move Heaney to CHB, and LOM at full back, possibly P Navin in the other corner. Other players to get a look in should be maybe the Morans from Burrishoole. Midfield is set with DB being the impact sub there and the forwards just need to bulk up

OkeyDoke

Lynchboy, what do you mean by ruffle a few feathers ???

lynchbhoy

Quote from: OkeyDoke on November 21, 2006, 08:49:35 AM
Lynchboy, what do you mean by ruffle a few feathers ???

with no info to back this up, I dont think that Ciaran McDonald is the kind of player that O'Mahoney picks on his side.
Ciaran mc will have to alter his style of play to be more direct or will get dropped/walk out in a storm with blazing newspaper headlines etc
I cant see the lad sitting happily on the bench...

I could be wrong, but I just dont know if the two styles can be accomodated- and JOM is ruthless.

OkeyDoke

You could be right, but maybe thats what Mayo need - a ruthless manager who'll take no BS. For years the management having been walking on eggshells re CMc sometimes to the detriment of the team by feeling the need to play him at no.11. He's a fantastic player but in the modern game, he sometimes holds the ball up too much. I'm all for giving him an extended run in the full forward line during the league to see how he goes

ildanach

This is the management team we were looking for. JOM was very level headed in his interview yesterday and rubbished talk of all ireland in his first year. This is exactly the approach we need. Lets not forget we got hockeyed in the all ireland with this bunch of players last year. I do feel though that JOM is a shrewder manager than mm. With the inclusion of tommy Lyons I think DB will come out of retirement. I am glad to see Kieran Gallagher stay on,the players seemed to have a good relationship with him (the hill incident and the mm walk out- he was the players confident). Carney is also an invaluable addition, i feel this is the team we need to win sam. But it may not be this year maybe next...  The main thing is that this is a defining moment in mayo football
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

AbbeySider

...a ruthless manager...
...ruffle a few feathers...

One thing we can be guaranteed is that there will be a huge shake up and clear out in the current panel.
Im not talking about David Brady or Kevin O Neill; John O Mahoney has said in recent months that he thinks that these players still have a lot to offer. What will be cleared out is some of the 'panel players' that have been holding on for the past few years. We all know there are some very weak players on the bench, (without naming and shaming them), and they can wave good bye under JOM.

One thing JOM can already take credit for is that he is always up to date on the current club players doing well. He has always taken a keen interest in mayo club matters and will have his own ideas as to who should get a chance. And because of his involvement with Ballaghaderreen I can see him bring some of those players into the panel. And rightly so. They really stepped up to the mark in the first drawn game against Cross.

Having Martin Carney as an analyst is a master stroke. Nearly every Friday during the year I listened to himself and Ray - WorstPlayerEverToWinAnAllIreland - Silke on today FMs 'Last word in Sport'. What he has proved is that he is a master at weighing up the opposition and knowing other teams. This will prove vital to expose other teams like we were exposed in September, and provide grounds for a game plan which we lacked in the AIF.

As regards Kieran Gallagher; I have spoken to a few lads who trained under him and Eugene Ivers in the Mayo Minor set-up a few short years ago. They didnt really rate him as a tactician, but he often took training and ran them into the ground. They called him The Grinder. Not being too hard on the man, bit I have said it before that I think that the County Board have him in place to gain experience so he will be an option as a manager in the future. Its no harm and he obviously has a lot to offer if he is still there this year.

Tommy Lyons is the last piece of the jigsaw. A Mayo player remarked to me last week that he thought Lyons was defiantly going to be on JOMs management team so it was expected. No complaints there either, the man has a good of record as any.

I still think that we will go a long way under JOM. But im not sure do we have the caliber of players to cross that line and win an AIF. JOM wont leave a stone unturned so there is hope. But im not getting carried away this time.

highorlow

QuoteI still think that we will go a long way under JOM. But im not sure do we have the caliber of players to cross that line and win an AIF.

We have the players alright. Its playing the right players in the right place at the right time that counts. 2 AIF's in the last 3 years proves that we are right up there with the elite. We also have an u21 title in the bag and a clun All Ireland 2 years ago. IMO players in our County were never the problem.

Congrats to Johnno for getting the job on his terms. We wish him luck for the next 3 years. This gives us a fresh impetious and a huge boost to go on and win SAM next year, i have no doubt about it. We are a team still on an upward curve whereas some of the "Big3" are on the way down.

As one poster stated earlier if a JOM team went out and played Kerry in an AIF there would be 12 men behind the ball - that sums it up. Carney is also a major boost. He managed most of the older stalwarts on the panel at u21 level. Tommy Lyons is also a winner. This management team are winners, we will be drinking melted snow out of Sam next Christmass in Castlebar.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mayo4Sam

Lads delighted to see JOM in place (at last)
And yes the expectation will be thru the roof but i think we need to give this the full 3 years to come to fruitition.
As regards new players, I expect the 2 kilcullen to be on the panel and one of them and howley to be contesting for the No. 6 jersey
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

hows she cutting

good luck to JOM and Mayo

would be delighted to see them land Sam at last

Barney

QuoteOne thing we can be guaranteed is that there will be a huge shake up and clear out in the current panel.

I would be shocked if that is what happens in the short-term. JOM is noted as a great players man. He will not be a hatchet man. everyone will get a chance and then the hard decisions will be made on how they perform in training, and in the FBD.

An Gaeilgoir

I agree Barney, if there are two or three changes to the Mayo fifteen next year that will be about all. Regardless of pepole say the best 30 odd players in Mayo bar one or two are already in the panel.

AbbeySider

Well Barney and An Gaeilgoir we will agree to differ.  :P

In case im being mis-interpreted, I mean that a few of our 'panel players' will be given the heave-ho.
I dont think that there will be too many changes to the starting 15 but they could be moved around a bit,
but I dont think James Nallen will get a start in next years championship.

Anyway no offence to the players but to 'trim the fat' I think JOM will have little time for....
John Healy, Pat Kelly, Trevor Howley, James Gill, Stephen Carolan, C Lyons

The above will be making room for new blood in the panel; some of the aforementioned players in this topic.
JOM will also be looking for a full back (should he decide to play Heaney at centre back) or he will be looking for a centre back (should he decide to leave Heaney where he is) to replace Nallen.

Perhaps Stephen Drake or the David Kilcullen will be the young prodigy?