Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildanach

anyword on mcdonalds recovery and the oneill and brady injuries from the weekend. Big game v fermanagh in 2 weeks. A win there and in one of our home games would assure us of divison 1 next year i think
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Redgreenery

It said in one of the papers that D Brady has a bad calf injury and could be out for a few weeks while with K O Neill they are not certain weather or not he'll be back yet and his problem is with his hamstring, fingers crossed on both of them anyway!

Tubberman

Quotewith K O Neill they are not certain weather or not he'll be back yet

What, at all!!??  ;)

Brady didn't mention the injury on Sunday Sport (big report on it from Ballina Stephenites), so hopefully it's not going to keep him out for too long. He's had no long run without injury for the last couple of years, so it's very worrying that midfield seemed to fall apart without him on Sunday.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 27, 2007, 11:24:05 AM
Anyway has anyone been checking out the mchalepark.com board?
It looks good but im not so sure if there is room for another GAA board.

Like so far Mayo Gaa have this one (Mayo threads at least)
MayoFans board
Hogan Stand
and now McHale Park board.

Something gotta give. Mayo people have been very quiet as of late on this board and on this topic in particular.

Hae checked it out, while it looks OK I'd have a major gripe with the way it is laid out. Little sub folders dedicated to everything to do with Mayo GAA is a no no in my view, just too much clicking in and out of them, pain in the hole.

Why not just have Mayo GAA and maybe a club scene, one for non-GAA related stuff and leave it at that

AbbeySider

gaa.ie

Mort points toward Mayo May day

Tuesday, February 27

Mayo have a new manager, selectors and a different training regime, but the yearly targets remain the same, according to Conor Mortimer.

Last year the bleach-haired diminutive corner forward was top scorer in the championship (1-32) as Mayo took the Connacht title, came from behind to beat Dublin in the game of the year (quarter-final) but ultimately were felled cruelly by Kerry in the All-Ireland SFC final.

Since, Mickey Moran and John Morrison have departed and been replaced by John O'Mahony, the man who led Galway to All-Ireland success. Kieran Gallagher, Tommy Lyons, and Martin Carney have come on board as selectors and an analyst respectively.

The Sam Maguire final defeat last autumn has been exorcised by the panel and a marker was set down early on with the National League first round victory over the Kingdom.

"We have a new manager on board and selectors and everything changes. The training regime, the times you're training and the way you're training all change," said 25-year-old Mortimer.

"We don't look to the past. I think it stays on everyone's minds outside the panel about what happened last year and in 2004, and further back (All-Ireland final defeats to Meath and Kerry respectively in 1996 and 1997). It's not really on the minds of the players on the panel.

"We did it last year as well (beat Kerry in the first round of the league). It's good to start with a big game," added the DCU student.

"We have a tendency to start well in the league and as the league phases out to the semi-finals and finals so have Mayo. Hopefully this year will be different and we can get to the latter stages of the league, which I think we are well capable of doing."

Though O'Mahony and his backroom have not yet outlined their goals for the year to the squad, Mortimer believes everything is geared towards one game - Galway versus Mayo in the Connacht Championship on 20 May.

"We're all gunning towards May - Galway in May at Pearse Stadium. Whether it be league games, challenge games or training it's all geared towards Galway in May," said the Shrule-Glencorrib clubman.

"When you play Galway you never know which way it's going to go no matter how well prepared you are it's always going to be close. I think confidence is fairly good. We wouldn't be downhearted about last year at this stage of the year.

"It hasn't been set out for us as such (targets for the year). It's more a case of take it each game as it comes. But for us players I think we expect to stay in Division 1.

"I think ultimately you have to start looking at your province. People will say we're probably the best team in the province at the moment but when it comes to championship there are four or five teams that on any given day can win games - it's the same in every province.

"If we can win Connacht then we can start planning every game after that because it's only three games and you're in an All-Ireland final again.

"It's a long way off and don't get me wrong it's hard to get to back to back All-Ireland finals. But, I think we're well good enough to do so if, when it comes to it, we can get everything right training wise, physically and mentally."

Redgreenery

Some good words there by C Mort and it is nice to hear they are totally preparing for the championship, or the first game (Galway game) in the championship!! :)

From the Bunker

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 28, 2007, 02:17:21 PM
gaa.ie

"If we can win Connacht then we can start planning every game after that because it's only three games and you're in an All-Ireland final again.

Mort must be expecting another draw this year in the Quarters or semi final if Mayo win a Connacht title.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Redgreenery on February 28, 2007, 04:45:39 PM
Some good words there by C Mort and it is nice to hear they are totally preparing for the championship, or the first game (Galway game) in the championship!! :)
Why does it always seem to be the same players who talk to the media? Wouldnt it be great to hear from someone different from time to time. In fairness its the same old stuff that gets trotted out every year. Maybe it would be better that some players did more of the talking on the field and less in the media!

AbbeySider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 28, 2007, 05:48:12 PM
Why does it always seem to be the same players who talk to the media? Wouldnt it be great to hear from someone different from time to time.

Exactly... it always seems like D Brady and C Mort are the only ones giving the interviews. You never hear much from the other players.
JOM has similar things to say:

'Galway date is D-day' - O'Mahony
Mayo manager John O'Mahony
28 February 2007

Mid-May and not late February is when teams reach the business end of the year, Mayo team-manager John O'Mahony has re-iterated.

O'Mahony says he would like to see Mayo fans taking a balanced view of his team's outings, considering that there will be ups and downs over the course of the year.

"There's a lot of talk about how we will do this year," O'Mahony explained.

"A lot of it is wild talk to a certain extent. I think it's important to realise that nowadays you don't get anything soft in Connacht.
"The big, big day for us is May 20th (against Galway). It's important that we keep an even keel on it.

"I don't want people to go into depression when we lose just as I don't want people to get too excited when we beat the likes of a Kerry team still recovering from the All-Ireland celebrations."

westmayo

Toady is the first of march according to the county board the league will start up again in the county on Patricks weekend. But as far as I know no fixture list has been circulated for the first round never mind the season, it's only two weeks away now. (If it has, I offer my apologies now). But I suppose this is what we expect from a county board that saw the completion of the 2006 league in 2007.

mannix

If Mayo do win connaught how many games would they have prior to a final?.                                                                          As bad as last years final was I still think that team with a bit of tweaking are capable of landing Sam if had kerry in any other game than the final, tyrone and kerry would go through a fire to win, Mayo show this quality only in every few games, the quality is there for sure, its the attitude that has been the problem.
Any one else agree or disagree?
Any word on ciaran mac and his back injury? He is a the best player in ireland to watch, some others are great but he does real tricks, and I hope he gets his due in celtic cross terms.

RedandGreenSniper

There are league fixtures on the Mayogaa.com website

I don't think they've been circulated to clubs but they are under fixtures on that website. It just says the round number and not the date but the first five rounds are for these dates
March 17
March 25
April 8
April 22
April 28
You can just correspond these dates with the rounds listed after each game. I think.

But they should have been made more clear cut long before now
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

westmayo

Cheers for that sniper, I put together there the first weekends league action for Divisions 1 and 2, What do ye reckon

Division 1A
Cross v Louisburgh
Ballintubber v Tourmack
Westport v Belmullet
Kiltane v Ballinrobe
Davits v Moy Davitts

Division 1B
Castlebar v Knockmore
Claremorris v Ballagh'
Charlestown v Breaffy
Burrishoole v Kilmeena
Ballina v Shrule

Divison 2A
Swinford v Balla
Aghamore v Eastern Gaels
Ballina B v Bonniconlan
Carrowmore v Garrymore
The Neale v Kilcomman

Divison 2B
Hollymount v Cross B
Kiltimagh v Ballyhaunis
Islandeady v Parke
Killala v Moygownagh
Kilmaine v Mayo Gales

muscles magoo

Quote from: westmayo on March 01, 2007, 01:36:52 PM
Toady is the first of march according to the county board the league will start up again in the county on Patricks weekend. But as far as I know no fixture list has been circulated for the first round never mind the season, it's only two weeks away now. (If it has, I offer my apologies now). But I suppose this is what we expect from a county board that saw the completion of the 2006 league in 2007.

Fact.

I see James Horan had a swipe at the CB on this very issue in this weeks Western People. Fair play to him but I'd say his sister didn't thank him for it seeing as she is the County Board PRO....

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muscles magoo on March 01, 2007, 03:01:25 PM
Quote from: westmayo on March 01, 2007, 01:36:52 PM

Fact.

I see James Horan had a swipe at the CB on this very issue in this weeks Western People. Fair play to him but I'd say his sister didn't thank him for it seeing as she is the County Board PRO....

She's his cousin rather than his sister
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year