Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I see on the u-21 thread, the McHale Park reopening may be later than initially planned. What if it isn't ready for the championship? Will Mayo be nomadic for a few years I wonder?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 08, 2009, 10:32:51 PM
Cheers red and green sniper.

I think Swinford play Holy Cross, Strabane in the AI semi final this week of that competition then. The first time Holy Cross have reached this stage.

Swinford beat Holy Cross to reach the All Ireland final today on a 3-10 to 0-9 score.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 12, 2009, 01:00:29 PM
I see on the u-21 thread, the McHale Park reopening may be later than initially planned. What if it isn't ready for the championship? Will Mayo be nomadic for a few years I wonder?
not at all with feeney hired especially for the job im sure it'll be finished bang on time. even now hes insists it all   'running to schedule', rumours of thee dublin game being set for castleebar were Just a Cryto-fascist conspiracy
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

It seems like it's going to be in Ballina now. Unless the redevelopment of McHale Park is put into automode for the next 9 days.

the Deel Rover

glad its in Ballina the longer castlebar is closed the better as far as i'm concerned  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 13, 2009, 09:53:42 AM
glad its in Ballina the longer castlebar is closed the better as far as i'm concerned  ;)

You're not the only one who has those sentiments. It's an unusual combination though of a Crossmolina man and a Knockmore man agreeing about pitches. I'm sure the Ballina men are the same!

moysider

Yeah. It ll be great to see the Dubs back the Park again. I remember Mullins and Co there years ago. We would nt want to lose another match there though.

Farrandeelin

So Division 1 status secured again. It's time for this thread to get a going over again I'd imagine!

I think the stand when complete will be magnificent though. It puts the rest of the ground to shame I think! What do the rest of ye make of it? PS, is it €16m that has to be paid for the whole thing or did I hear wrong?? Will it be all ready in time for the championship game against Ros/Leitrim?

AbbeySider

Mortimer ruled out for six weeks

14 April 2009

Mayo have been rocked by the news that Conor Mortimer will miss the Connacht SFC opener against New York at Gaelic Park on May 10 through injury.

The star forward broke two bones in his right hand during last Sunday's drawn NFL clash with Tyrone in Castlebar, and will be sidelined for at least six weeks. However, given the fact that he doesn't require surgery, he should be back in plenty of time for a likely provincial semi-final showdown with Roscommon or Leitrim on June 20.

Despite suffering the injury after 15 minutes, the Shrule-Glencorrib clubman played on for the rest of the game, and it was only after he had x-rays on Sunday evening that the full extent of the damage was revealed.

"I think I may have picked up the injury pushing myself off the ground and putting pressure on the hand," he said.

"I knew there was something broken but I played on and went for an x-ray after the game.

"I will be out for six weeks I would estimate, but I will still be able to participate in some training, although not the ball work obviously. It's an unfortunate blow because I felt we played well on Sunday."

Terrible news for Mortimor and Mayo. He wasnt playing his best in recent times but this blow will be a big set back for him

Tubberman

Looks like Pearce plans on playing for Mayo again at some stage in the future - whether that's next year or 10 years could depend on if he's offered a contract at the end of the season. 

Hanley considering his options
15 April 2009

Brisbane Lions player Pearce Hanley has vowed to return home to Mayo if he isn't offered a new contract at the end of the AFL season in September.

The teenager has his heart set on a long career in the AFL, but admits he isn't taking anything for granted.

"I want to spend many years playing in the AFL before finishing my career in Gaelic football," he said.

"I won't hear about a new contract until the end of the season but I have considered my options if it's not good news. I could go back to the GAA, but I'm not really thinking about that now.

"I just want to play as many senior games for the Lions as I can."

Lions recruiting manager Graeme Allen believes Hanley could make the same impact in the AFL as fellow Irishman Martin Clarke.

"We're very pleased with Pearse. He's shown us he's as talented as Marty Clarke," Allen said.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Apparently the senior championship squad of 30 has been announced to the panel. I haven't seen/heard anything officially, does anyone know the 30, or the lads that haven't made it?

RedandGreenSniper

Haven't heard but I reckon Colm Boyle and Mikey Sweeney are under pressure. So too Mickey Mullins.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Yeah, Mullins has made very few appearances. Boyle made a couple earlier in the league but didn't really impress - still looks to be too lightweight for senior inter-county.

Sweeney had a couple of good performances, or at least showed potential so he has a decent chance of making the squad. Interestingly, for the U-21s it's been Douglas and Doherty rather than Sweeney that have been racking up the big scores.
There has been very little of Barry Regan seen (mainly due to injury I think) - he could also be under pressure.

I might have missed a few from this, but it's a possible 30:

Goalkeepers: Clarke, K O'Malley

Defence: L O'Malley, Cafferkey, McLoughlin, A Higgins, Vaughan, Gardiner, Nallen, Heaney, Howley, Cunniffe, K Higgins, Gardiner

Midfield: Parsons, S O'Shea, McGarrity, Harte

Forwards: A Moran, T Mort, BJP, Dillon, B Moran, Ronaldson, A O'Shea, A O'Malley, C Mort, B Kelly, B Regan, M Sweeney

RedandGreenSniper

Barry Regan isn't in the panel. Robert Hennelly is but whether he keeps three keepers in remains to be seen. You're also missing Kieran Conroy there Tubberman and you've Gardiner in twice - Conroy'll be under pressure. Aidan Kilcoyne as well. I reckon Boyle, Mullins and then two from Sweeney, B Kelly, R Hennelly and possibly even Kilcoyne.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year