Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Maigh Eo v Doire thread on the main board Moysider. I had a stab at what I feel the team that should be tried should be. And you're right about McHale Park, I reckon it could be tight for the summer!

On the club scene I see Maughan reckons Crossmolina are only the seventh or eighth best team in the county! The mind games have begun!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5786&Itemid=39
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 21, 2009, 12:18:50 AM
Maigh Eo v Doire thread on the main board Moysider. I had a stab at what I feel the team that should be tried should be. And you're right about McHale Park, I reckon it could be tight for the summer!

On the club scene I see Maughan reckons Crossmolina are only the seventh or eighth best team in the county! The mind games have begun!

John Maughan talking about delegation?  :D

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on January 20, 2009, 07:56:20 PM
No wonder Balllintubber are so successful at underage if this is the policy they apply! From what I've heard it seems Balla, Breaffy, Mayo Gaels and Westport have had issues with Ballintubber and players at underage!

Your talking to a lot of people so! They dont have a leg to stand on dont worry, but they may envy our under-age success.

The trick is, (and you can tell them) we do our talking... on the pitch  ;)  :D

What club are you from anyway StoneWall?

MacDanger

I'd have to disagree with Maughan there, I would rate Ballina above Crossmolina!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

stephenite

Ballina decimated with lads going abroad for the year apparently

moysider

Quote from: MacDanger on January 21, 2009, 11:24:00 PM

I'd have to disagree with Maughan there, I would rate Ballina above Crossmolina!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

AS a Ballina man I would nt. We were poor last year and there is going to be a massive exodus of players abroad this Summer - likes of Hughesy, Winny and more. Add in the lads that will spend most of the Spring and early Summer with the County and it ll probably mean a dodgy enough year for us.
Cross on the other hand may well be the team to beat. Ballagh' s defeat to Eastern Harps could take the wind from their sails a bit. They seem to lose impetus in the Autumn each year. They tied up completely v Charlestown in the County final second half and a bit more composure from Ctown would have got them home. In the case of McDonald he ll still be the best player in the county this year. As Deel Rover has intimated Johnno s decision to rid him has probably done Cross a favour and even extended his career. Likes of Nallens, Keane, Peadar will go on for years. Young Cafferkey is also a big boost. I m going with Cross.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider link=topic=13.msg458965#msg458965
In the case of McDonald he ll still be the best player in the county this year. As Deel Rover has intimated Johnno s decision to rid him has probably done Cross a favour and even extended his career.

Im especially annoyed about this one.
Has anyone else noticed that Nallen and Heaney are being given loads of time this year to make up their minds as to whither or not they are rejoining the panel?? They are getting a nice long break.

Yet last year McDonald was not given the same time and respect?
What is so different?

JOM looks like a walking contradiction and a hypocrite. McDonald was treated very badly last year and this proves it.

Zulu

I agree MacD was treated poorly, at least from what I know about it, but JOM may have had problems with him and felt he couldn't work with him or and I think this is the real reason, he felt Mayo played too much ball through MacD and that given his age, JOM wanted to start moulding a new Mayo team that he believes can win titles in a year or two. There was no point in persisting with a player who wasn't part of the final plan and who wouldn't be the difference between winning the AI last year or not.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Zulu on January 22, 2009, 09:17:10 AM
I agree MacD was treated poorly, at least from what I know about it, but JOM may have had problems with him and felt he couldn't work with him or and I think this is the real reason, he felt Mayo played too much ball through MacD and that given his age, JOM wanted to start moulding a new Mayo team that he believes can win titles in a year or two. There was no point in persisting with a player who wasn't part of the final plan and who wouldn't be the difference between winning the AI last year or not.

JOM in my eyes fell at the hurdle, especially when he turns around this year and contradicts himself.

McD is probably hard to handle, what with always wanting the No. 11 shirt and the roaming he did, but Man Management is key. We are better with him than without.

Zulu

Maybe today, and that's a big maybe IMO, but a manager has to be realistic when picking his panel, for example maybe JOM feels that Mayo won't win an AI with or without MD so he is looking to build a forward line and a style of play that will challenge for an AI in 2 years time. When you play MD you have to play through him, because he is so good but if you do that then you aren't developing any other style of play, furthermore some young player is sitting on the bench missing out on valuable playing time.

IMO JOM is saying MD isn't part of my long term plans so I'm going to work with the players who are and I'm going to try and find the right balance with these guys. Nallen and Heaney are different because they are defenders and are willing (I'd say) to be bit part players if that is what JOM wants.

Although MD is one of my favourite footballers, I think JOM is right to drop him off the panel, wrong the way he did it, but right to do it. Mayo won't win an AI in the next year or two with MD but they might get the right balance to win one in the next 3 to 4 years without him.

the Deel Rover

Time for mayo to move on without Mc D however it suits us down to the ground in Cross.I'm delighted that Maughan is back with  cross he wouldn't take the job if he didn't think we would be there or thereabouts the likes of Jimmy , Mc D , Joe Keane keep them selves in great shape throw in the likes of Henry Mc Loughlin, Young Cafferkey, Mark Leonard to name a few we still have a strong outfit . Write us off at your peril  ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 22, 2009, 10:11:26 AM
Time for mayo to move on without Mc D however it suits us down to the ground in Cross.I'm delighted that Maughan is back with  cross he wouldn't take the job if he didn't think we would be there or thereabouts the likes of Jimmy , Mc D , Joe Keane keep them selves in great shape throw in the likes of Henry Mc Loughlin, Young Cafferkey, Mark Leonard to name a few we still have a strong outfit . Write us off at your peril  ;) :D

The only person who has written ye off is Maughan! The rest of us know how dangerous ye are
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

QuoteMayo won't win an AI in the next year or two with MD but they might get the right balance to win one in the next 3 to 4 years without him.
is that a joke?
your giving JOM 6 years to bring a team who reached an AIF to bring them that again ??
who are you his election agent?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zulu

I said Mayo won't win an AI in the next year or two, an opinion most people would agree with I'd imagine, but the foundations can be put in place for success subsequently by giving younger lads their head, it doesn't mean that JOM will necessarily be manger when it success happens. It is clear you have a problem with JOM, fair enough, that is your opinion but criticism is only justified if based on some reasonable foundation. For starters who would you suggest replaces JOM, no point in calling for his head if there isn't anyone better to replace him? Secondly, on what basis are you saying that JOM has failed over the past 2 years? And what in your opinion would be a successful 2009?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Zulu on January 23, 2009, 08:03:15 AM
I said Mayo won't win an AI in the next year or two, an opinion most people would agree with I'd imagine, but the foundations can be put in place for success subsequently by giving younger lads their head, it doesn't mean that JOM will necessarily be manger when it success happens. It is clear you have a problem with JOM, fair enough, that is your opinion but criticism is only justified if based on some reasonable foundation. For starters who would you suggest replaces JOM, no point in calling for his head if there isn't anyone better to replace him? Secondly, on what basis are you saying that JOM has failed over the past 2 years? And what in your opinion would be a successful 2009?

Zulu I fought tooth and nail with ros over his criticisms of JOM but now im losing patience fast.
I am hearing fairly negative things about the Mayo camp from people more in the know than myself.

Without spilling rumours the only thing I can say is that if anything he has brought us backwards.
Since he took over the only teams we have beaten in the championship is Sligo and Cavan.
He also retired, too early, one of the greatest players ever to play the game.
It looks to me like his heart is not in it.

Lets be clear, this year we are in big trouble.