Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on January 18, 2009, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: StoneWall on January 15, 2009, 08:43:06 AM
I recall some problem between Balla and Ballintubber a few years ago about underage players. Some lads playing for Ballintubber when they were in the parish of Balla. I think it involved some players and officials being suspended.

Also there was some issue about Alan and Gary Dillon and that they should have been playing for Breaffy based on where they lived?

The silence on this from the Ballintubber corner speaks volume's  ;)

No Offence Stonewall,
I neither represent the views of the club or can answer for the club.
Public forums are not the time or the place. Thats why I cant speculate.  ;)

moysider

Quote from: MacDanger on January 18, 2009, 05:59:47 PM
Beaten by the sheepstealers by a point - 1-6 to 1-7.

Anybody at this yesterday? Its the first FBD Mayo/Ros fixture I ve missed down the years. But I just did nt have the stomach for it this year.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on January 19, 2009, 12:00:28 PM
Quote from: MacDanger on January 18, 2009, 05:59:47 PM
Beaten by the sheepstealers by a point - 1-6 to 1-7.

Anybody at this yesterday? Its the first FBD Mayo/Ros fixture I ve missed down the years. But I just did nt have the stomach for it this year.

Willie Joe has a match report here...
http://mayogaablog.com/

mannix

DID ANYONE HERE IF HEANEY AND NALLEN ARE GONE? Watched some video of 1996 at the weekend, talk about a sickener.

kevmy

Quote from: mannix on January 19, 2009, 12:40:40 PM
DID ANYONE HERE IF HEANEY AND NALLEN ARE GONE? Watched some video of 1996 at the weekend, talk about a sickener.

As of about a month ago Nallen hadn't made up his mind one way or the other.

No offence to either himself or Heaney but I don't think this present team will grow much with them playing. Maybe there as a sub/ squad player but if the young lads don't step up this year (looking mainly at Higgins and Howley) then this Mayo team will not come to anything. Leaders are needed in the backline and Gardiner apart no senior player has a nailed down spot there.

SidelineKick

Lads anyone able to confirm the venue for Derry match on the 1st Feb?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

RedandGreenSniper

James Stephens Park in Ballina, McHale Park redevelopment not complete yet
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SidelineKick

:D typical! Booked hotel in Castlebar yesterday! Ah well, would 3/4 of an hour take me to Ballina from there?

Reported.

RedandGreenSniper

Easily. It's a half hour drive with normal traffic, maybe allow a bit more time for match traffic. Big crowd coming down for it?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SidelineKick

Ah good stuff.  I would doubt it to be honest  :-\ we don't travel well.  Derry have one of the worst supports in the country, but who knows with a bit of optimism this year a few extra heads might come to see if theres anything to be optimistic about!

Reported.

dodo

Let's hope we play with a bit more organisation and heart than we did in Celtic park in summer 2007. With a good Mayo crowd travelling that day it was a real let down, Derry winning without having to extend themselves. To have won would have capped off a great weekend in the Maiden city.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: dodo on January 19, 2009, 08:01:52 PM
Let's hope we play with a bit more organisation and heart than we did in Celtic park in summer 2007. With a good Mayo crowd travelling that day it was a real let down, Derry winning without having to extend themselves. To have won would have capped off a great weekend in the Maiden city.
Well Dodo, good to see you back on the board, the bad weather must be affecting your business! We had a few nice that day in the Maiden city, the bogside inn if memory serves me correct.

dodo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 20, 2009, 12:42:02 PM
Quote from: dodo on January 19, 2009, 08:01:52 PM
Well Dodo, good to see you back on the board, the bad weather must be affecting your business! We had a few nice that day in the Maiden city, the bogside inn if memory serves me correct.

The drink hasn't dulled your recollection yet ! We had a nice few to be sure, was half buckled leaving that Bogside Inn, had to keep it going after getting the spuds in. Here's hoping for better things in 2009. Did you bump in to any ex acquaintances of yours afterwards ???  ;)

StoneWall

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 19, 2009, 09:41:02 AM
Quote from: StoneWall on January 18, 2009, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: StoneWall on January 15, 2009, 08:43:06 AM
I recall some problem between Balla and Ballintubber a few years ago about underage players. Some lads playing for Ballintubber when they were in the parish of Balla. I think it involved some players and officials being suspended.

Also there was some issue about Alan and Gary Dillon and that they should have been playing for Breaffy based on where they lived?

The silence on this from the Ballintubber corner speaks volume's  ;)

No Offence Stonewall,
I neither represent the views of the club or can answer for the club.
Public forums are not the time or the place. Thats why I cant speculate.  ;)

No wonder Balllintubber are so successful at underage if this is the policy they apply! From what I've heard it seems Balla, Breaffy, Mayo Gaels and Westport have had issues with Ballintubber and players at underage!

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 19, 2009, 05:51:49 PM
James Stephens Park in Ballina, McHale Park redevelopment not complete yet

Had a gawk at McHale Park the other day and I would be surprised if there s any games there this Spring. The place is a building site and I could nt imagine health and safety allow it. There also appears to be a large yellow crane on playing area which would create a bit of a problem to all but the hardest Northern men. It would  be a poor setting for a match of any importance anyway - the decision to host county finals there last Autumn beggared belief. Playing at other venues will improve our chances of winning our home league games, as McHale Park has been far too impersonal in recent years imo.
On another note it was noticeable how Tyrone fielded so many heavy hitters v Monaghan last Sunday while we still have to put out a meaningful team. I realise there are mitigating circumstances for this. But surely if so many lads are playing for colleges the team should be backboned by likes of Heaney, Nallen, Aiden Higgins. Or are these lads coming back/asked back? The FBD is useless to us as it stands or with our present approach to it. Johnno obviously detests it. The sponsors must be thrilled. I m sure they ve better things they could do with their spare money then sponsor a competition that a high profile manager and TD ridicules. Anybody like to speculate on a starting XV against Derry? Not who you would like to see play but who are likely to feature and where.