Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 12, 2009, 12:24:23 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 11, 2009, 09:59:58 PM
BTW Abbeysider, what club are you talking about that has to amalgamate at underage?

I think I got a bit confused there.  :-[
I was referring to Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin but now im unsure.
I know they were always known as Parke but at Bord Na nOg there were Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin.
Thats probably because of National Schools joining Parke GAA club officially? Rather than an actual club amalgamation as I was referring to. Apologies.  :)

I'll have to correct ya on that one - the area which comprised Parke, Turlough, Ross, Crimlin, Ballyvary and Keelogues always played GAA as Parke, even if it consists of two parishes (Parke and Keelogues, I think Crimlin is a half parish of Parke). However in the 1990's there was a move by Keelogues to form their own club  but the reality was they wouldn't have the numbers to compete. Anyway as a compromise they decided to call the club Parke/Keelogues and then the Crimlin lads said 'sure ya might as well throw us on the end too'. So the club's name was changed to PKC. But they now just refer to themselves as Parke seeing as PKC is a bit of a mouthful and most club members are a bit embarrassed by it. But it was just a change of name really, not an amalgamation of areas or national schools.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 12, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
I'll have to correct ya on that one - the area which comprised Parke, Turlough, Ross, Crimlin, Ballyvary and Keelogues always played GAA as Parke, even if it consists of two parishes (Parke and Keelogues, I think Crimlin is a half parish of Parke). However in the 1990's there was a move by Keelogues to form their own club  but the reality was they wouldn't have the numbers to compete. Anyway as a compromise they decided to call the club Parke/Keelogues and then the Crimlin lads said 'sure ya might as well throw us on the end too'. So the club's name was changed to PKC. But they now just refer to themselves as Parke seeing as PKC is a bit of a mouthful and most club members are a bit embarrassed by it. But it was just a change of name really, not an amalgamation of areas or national schools.

Noted...   ;)  ;D

Davitt Man

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on January 12, 2009, 02:04:44 PM
any word on club fixtures for the year?

League not starting until weekend of April 4th I think (Mayo are playing in National League every weekend of March)
Fixtures should be out very soon.

Farrandeelin

Have to agree with ya there Deel Rover about having games in Ballina. If the Showgrounds are open it'd be very handy to get to from my house. :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Leagues tarting weekend of April 4 and 5
Div 1A games
Shrule v Ballagh; Westport v Burris; Ballina v Breaffy; Ballinrobe v Charlestown; Cross v Moy Davitts; Knockmore have a bye.

First five round are due to be played on consecutive weekends.

C'ship draw likely to be made before end of month; first round on May 23/24 or May 30/31, second round July 4/5 and third round August 8/9.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 12, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 12, 2009, 12:24:23 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 11, 2009, 09:59:58 PM
BTW Abbeysider, what club are you talking about that has to amalgamate at underage?

I think I got a bit confused there.  :-[
I was referring to Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin but now im unsure.
I know they were always known as Parke but at Bord Na nOg there were Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin.
Thats probably because of National Schools joining Parke GAA club officially? Rather than an actual club amalgamation as I was referring to. Apologies.  :)

When we move back in a few years we will probably be living in Manulla, what club would the young fellow be playing with when he returns, my wife thinks it would be Balla?

dodo

Manulla is Balla parish alright. Currently languishing down the leagues, a big fall since contesting a county final in 1993 and winning a league.

AbbeySider

Quote from: dodo on January 14, 2009, 04:24:31 AM
Manulla is Balla parish alright. Currently languishing down the leagues, a big fall since contesting a county final in 1993 and winning a league.

hmm... Is there some villages in Manulla that are part of Breaffy dodo?
I know of a few lads that were in school in Balla that played for Breaffy.

What state is Balla Bord Na nOg in these days? Thats where to start building for the future again.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 14, 2009, 09:04:04 AM

What state is Balla Bord Na nOg in these days? Thats where to start building for the future again.

I'll field that one. No part of Manulla is in Breaffy. Once you cross the Manulla bridge, just after the railway crossing, you are in Breaffy. The  Jennings' are living in Manulla and play with Breaffy but they're originally from Breaffy anyhow. The Basquills played with Breaffy too for years, think there's a connection there but not 100% sure.
Balla are in dire straights at adult level anyhow. You would think they might start doing well at underage level though because there are a lot of new houses in Balla, Manulla and Belcarra and, presumably, a lot of young families living there as a result.
FL/Mayo sure move to Breaffy, much nicer area than Manulla  ;) :D

FL/MAYO

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 14, 2009, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 14, 2009, 09:04:04 AM

I'll field that one. No part of Manulla is in Breaffy. Once you cross the Manulla bridge, just after the railway crossing, you are in Breaffy. The  Jennings' are living in Manulla and play with Breaffy but they're originally from Breaffy anyhow. The Basquills played with Breaffy too for years, think there's a connection there but not 100% sure.
Balla are in dire straights at adult level anyhow. You would think they might start doing well at underage level though because there are a lot of new houses in Balla, Manulla and Belcarra and, presumably, a lot of young families living there as a result.
FL/Mayo sure move to Breaffy, much nicer area than Manulla  ;) :D

The view is better in Manulla especially around Burris ;). I suppose I can wait to see the under age set up in each club before deciding which is the best club to join when the time comes. Will he have to play with Balla or can he decide which club he wants to play for himself? I know my wifes neighbors son played with Breaffy.

RedandGreenSniper

Maybe players in Manulla can chose between the two, if they wish. Not 100% sure but Balla objected before to a Manulla lad playing with Breaffy and it got thrown out so that would indicate Manulla people can choose.
Some view up Burris alright!

FL/MAYO

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 14, 2009, 06:35:40 PM
Maybe players in Manulla can chose between the two, if they wish. Not 100% sure but Balla objected before to a Manulla lad playing with Breaffy and it got thrown out so that would indicate Manulla people can choose.

Wasnt the Mayo minor keeper last year from Manulla (or near there)? Isnt he a Breaffy player? No wonder poor Balla are in trouble!!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: FL/MAYO on January 14, 2009, 09:40:09 PM

Wasnt the Mayo minor keeper last year from Manulla (or near there)? Isnt he a Breaffy player? No wonder poor Balla are in trouble!!

No, he's definitely from Breaffy. Place called Plovervale, about a mile from the 'border' I'd say.

fearsiuil

There is no ambiguity regarding Manulla at all, it is part of Balla parish. The main choice they have is whether to play GAA and/or soccer, or maybe the other way around ! The case I think you may be referring to is one back in the 90s when a lad who had played all his underage for Balla plus a few years senior transferred over as he couldn't make the senior team regularly enough for his liking. My recollection of this is that Balla did not object.