Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

County board await ref's report
03 July 2008

The Mayo County Board are awaiting referee Vincent Neary's report from the Aghamore v. Kiltimagh league match that saw five players sent off and a mass brawl ensue among players and mentors from both sides.

The neighbours met in the league at Gilmartin Park recently and in a tempestuous affair, Neary dismissed five players, four from Aghamore and one from Kiltimagh.

Before any of the sending offs, players and mentors from both sides became involved in a mass brawl that lasted a number of minutes before calm was restored.

However, the county board will await the referee's report before deciding what course of action, if any, to take.

Sounds fairly serious? How did it erupt?

StoneWall

Well going by my experience of playing Aghamore the last few years I think it would be safe to say they started it! Last few times we played them there has been brawls started by them. Very one on their side gets involved. The have some fat pr*ck on the sideline who is always mouthing crap. Four sent off says it all.

Farrandeelin

QuoteThe have some fat pr*ck on the sideline who is always mouthing crap.

:D I know a fella from Aghamore so I'll try and find out from him!

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stephenite

So Kevin McStay is finishing up his weekly column for the Mayo News after 13 years (it couldn't be 13 f**king years ago :o) , I for one always enjoyed his musings and whilst not always agreeing with him or his opinions he certainly always had the best interests of Mayo football at heart.

There were those of us from Internet land that attended (and others on here that organised) a function in the Burlington Hotel and both Kevin and John Maughan made the effort to travel and be guest speakers, they also made the effort to sit down and have pints and chats with those of from the Internet land that mounted some scathing attacks on many of those involved at the coalface of Mayo football and they were gentlemen to the core about it all. He always kept a keen eye on the Mayo discussions here and gave us a mention when things were really bad and we were all pulling our hair out.

As someone who now resides abroad I'll certainly miss this particular column.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5053&Itemid=39

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on October 01, 2008, 02:50:21 AM
So Kevin McStay is finishing up his weekly column for the Mayo News after 13 years (it couldn't be 13 f**king years ago :o) , I for one always enjoyed his musings and whilst not always agreeing with him or his opinions he certainly always had the best interests of Mayo football at heart.

There were those of us from Internet land that attended (and others on here that organised) a function in the Burlington Hotel and both Kevin and John Maughan made the effort to travel and be guest speakers, they also made the effort to sit down and have pints and chats with those of from the Internet land that mounted some scathing attacks on many of those involved at the coalface of Mayo football and they were gentlemen to the core about it all. He always kept a keen eye on the Mayo discussions here and gave us a mention when things were really bad and we were all pulling our hair out.

As someone who now resides abroad I'll certainly miss this particular column.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5053&Itemid=39

Sometimes he could grate but his thoughts were always worth reading and he had his finger on the pulse. Pity its finished
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

Is he having a dig at mort ?

Tuesday, 25 November 2008 

Mayo must play a team game, says Secretary

Seán Feeney's report to Mayo GAA Convention is published

Mike Finnerty

MAYO must play as a team, and not as individuals, if they are to win the elusive All-Ireland senior football title, according to Mayo GAA secretary, Seán Feeney, in his annual report to next Monday's Mayo GAA Convention.
In the course of a rather low-key address, the full-time administrator also touches on the subject of voluntary effort, professionalism in the GAA, the McHale Park development project, and the challenges facing the GAA in the future.
However, it is his opinions on the county's senior football team that will interest most Mayo supporters. The straight-talking secretary wrote that he 'cringed' when he read some interviews with Mayo players last summer.
"The senior team must be disappointed with their season," said Feeney. "No effort was spared by management to prepare the team. The week in Portugal was productive but unfortunately in tight games reason often goes out the window.
"The Galway and Tyrone games could and should have been won. There is one lesson yet to be learned and that is TEAM effort wins matches, not a team of individuals.
"It does not matter whether you go through the backdoor or the front door, the end is Sam Maguire. Some of the interviews given by players prior to and during the campaign made me cringe. I hope we have seen the last of it. Let's do the talking on the field, not in the newsprint. I would like to thank the manager and his backroom team for the effort put in, and if key positions are adequately filled there is no reason why further progress could not be achieved."
He also makes his views clear on the issue of footballers like Mayo's Pearce Hanley being snapped up by Australian Rules clubs.
"Players will be offered contracts here and there and in particular Australia," writes Feeney. "A player is entitled to consider any offer and make up his own mind. If he decides to go that is his choice. GAA players in the past have achieved very high office in this country combining their intellectual abilities with their sporting achievements. The facts are there.
"If any player believes that he should be paid to play then he is in the wrong sport. The Mayo Supporters Club, Comhairle Chonnacht and Mayo County Board have rewarded many players in the past, and will in the future, but I often wonder how many have been appreciated. Other players have been offered similar scholarships from other educational institutions, these compliment one another."

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2008, 04:52:27 PM
Is he having a dig at mort ?

hard to tell. Mort and Andy Moran gave an interview last year that was a bit controversial.

the Deel Rover

i think mort said  before the galway game that the only option was to beat galway because we weren't a back door team or something like that
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

rosnarun

Quote"If any player believes that he should be paid to play then he is in the wrong sport

Substitute
Player for adminstrator and see if it still holds true
also did the interviews make him cringe nearly as much as the rest of us when his anti t**ker campaign re: the nally affair embarrassed mayo GAA
hes some flute
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

If a player trains hard and is in the right frame of mind then as long as his team are in the hunt he should be thinking Sam Maguire and nothing else.
I think feeney hit the nail on the head, some of the stuff our players said is cringe worthy. They should be told shut up or at least be positive if asked about their teams chances.
One lad even said that m and m turned the team 360 degrees and now they were going places, talk about a nail to hang yourself on.We are not a qualifier team? If you have trained that hard you are whatever you want to be.
I think that some lads just are not driven enough.
If only I had the talent to put it over the bar like them, the fight would be no problem.
Tyrone bury mort in the net and Mayo look at them and walk away, not one man among the lot of them said a word.
Kenny mortimer would have repaid the deed but nobody bothers today and we are seen as soft for it.
JOM had better put some fire into Mayo very soon or let somebody else do it for him.

the Deel Rover

Taking this from the hogan stand

O'Mahony: Progress has been made
11 December 2008

Mayo manager John O'Mahony feels that the foundations have been laid for the coming year as the Connacht side look to pick up some silverware in 2009.

By their high standards, this year's campaign was a poor one for Mayo, but O'Mahony believes that they are heading in the right direction at last.

"I'd like to have won the Connacht title in 2008 and I would like to be further along development-wise, but I feel that solid progress has been made. I hope that the coming season shows most of that progress," said O'Mahony.

"We'd like to be more settled in the spine of the team and we're constantly looking to achieve this, but we have to deal with what we have and make the most of our squad."

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Tatler Jack

Have a feeling that Mayo will be in the hunt in 2009 - have a fair sprinkling of good players and I feel O'Mahoney will give it a mighy effort both for his personal pride and political future. Assuming all players are available and a bit of luck they cold be in Croke Park in late Sept.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 11, 2008, 09:13:11 PM
Have a feeling that Mayo will be in the hunt in 2009 - have a fair sprinkling of good players and I feel O'Mahoney will give it a mighy effort both for his personal pride and political future. Assuming all players are available and a bit of luck they cold be in Croke Park in late Sept.

We still have
no fullback, no center back or corner back(s),
very weak midfield,
not many scoring forwards, maybe 2.

I dont see us anywhere near it for the next 3-5 years.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 11, 2008, 09:13:11 PM

If thats whats motivating him he is as well to step away from the gig , can any one see the solid progress that has been made  ???
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Zulu

QuoteWe still have
no fullback, no center back or corner back(s),
very weak midfield,
not many scoring forwards, maybe 2.

Would that be the general opinion of Mayo lads on this board?