Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 13, 2008, 03:41:41 PM
Mayo 1-12 1-6 Sligo IT

Mayo got the last 4 points without reply. Mickey Mullins seems to have had a great game, Mike Finnerty raving about him. Alan Dillon got 5 points. Brian Benson got the goal from a penalty.
Trevor Howley played at CHB as did BJP at full back.
Peadar Gardiner a roving midfielder again. John Brogan from Knockmore started at number 2.

Ya I heard that Mad Whest report. Mickey Mullins was supposed to be getting a great reception from the crowd for his hard work throughout the game. He also put over a great 50 at the end of the game and played a stormer.

Finnerty reckoned Howley looked comfortable at CHB and had a good game. He also said BJP was solid at Full-Back. Benson also got one of those last 4 points from play.

Did Gardiner start in the forwards to allow him to be floating around the middle ?

AbbeySider

From the Irish Independant...

Dillons hits form for Mayo

By Donnchadh Boyle Connacht FBD round-up
Monday January 14 2008

CONNACHT'S FBD league started to take shape yesterday with NUIG, Sligo and Mayo all picking up wins in the second round of matches in the competition.

John O'Mahony stuck to much the same team that lost out to NUIG in the first round of matches and he was rewarded for his loyalty as his Mayo ran out 1-12 to 1-6 winners over Sligo IT.

Alan Dillon was on top form and he contributed five points while Brian Benson finished the day with 1-2 to his name as Mayo held a 0-6 to 0-3 advantage at half time.

After a Sligo IT rally, Mayo came back and, with Mickey Mullins and Dillon finding their range, held on for the spoils.

The students of NUIG had more luck as they condemned Roscommon to their second defeat in Dangan.

The visitors had a dream start as Conor Devanney blasted home 1-1 in the opening three minutes. However, John Maughan's men couldn't build on that lead and the students bounced back with Galway star Sean Armstrong to the fore, leading 0-9 to 1-5 at the break.

The students kicked on in the second half and, with Paul Broderick showing well, had six points to spare at the final whistle.

Elsewhere, Tommy Jordan got his first win as Sligo boss at Markievicz Park but he was made to sweat in the end by a determined GMIT outfit.

For the second successive game, all six starting Sligo forwards managed to get on the scoresheet, and second-half goals from Dermot McTernan and Kenny Sweeney helped Sligo overturn a half-time deficit of 0-8 to 2-3. GMIT rallied in the last quarter to hit four unanswered points but Sligo held on for a 2-13 to 2-12 win.

Scorers

Sligo: K Sweeney 1-1, M Breheny, P Gallagher 0-3 each, D McTernan 1-0, P Lyons, E Cawley 0-2 each, S Davey, K Byrne 0-1 each.

GMIT: M Martin 0-6, P Conroy, M Conry 0-3 each, D Vaughan, J Hayes 1-0 each.

Mayo: A Dillon 0-5, B Benson 1-2, M Mullins 0-2, BJ Padden, D Corrigan, A O'Malley 0-1 each.

IT Sligo: E Kenny 0-3, M Gordon 1-0, J Murphy, A Costello and R O'Connor 0-1 each.

NUIG: P Broderick 0-9 (5f), D Conway 0-2 (1f), S Armstrong 0-2 (1f), B Guckian 0-1, J Connellan, G Bradshaw 0-1.

Roscommon: C Devanney 1-2 (1f), J Collins 0-2 (1f, 1 '45), S Kilbride 0-2, S O'Neill 0-1.

Davitt Man

Is the county board meeting tonight to set the fixtures for the year?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on January 14, 2008, 04:35:21 PM
Is the county board meeting tonight to set the fixtures for the year?

I think so, and to vote on the new league structures

Davitt Man

There are 2 new leagues proposal as far as i know, the county board proposal and the claremorris proposal. Hopefully they will get it sorted tonight and give us a fixture list in the next few days so we can start planning the holidays!

StoneWall

Anyone know if there was any decision at last nights meeting regarding the make up of the leagues this year?

Davitt Man

Anyone listen to Mad Whest for any news on the county board meeting last night?

AbbeySider

I just heard that the county board proposal was voted in....

I think this is the original proposal... Im not sure if there was any amendments to it.

A CHARA,

THE CO.COMPETTITIONS CONTROL COMMITTEE CONVENED LAST LAST NIGHT AND WILL SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING FORMAT FOR CONSIDERATION AT THE FIRST MEETING OF THE COUNTY COMMITTTE ON JANUARY 14TH. 2008

THE WELCOME INN LEAGUE SHALL  BE A CLASSIFIED AS  A SENIOR  LEAGUE AND WILL BE DIVIDED INTO 6 SECTIONS. THE PLACINGS ARE BASED ON LAST YEARS LEAGUE PERFORMANCES

1A                                      1B                            1C                         1D                            1E                             1F
BREAFFY                      BALLINA                    SWINFORD                BALLA                    KNOCKMORE 2               KILMOVEE
BALLINROBE                BALLINTUBBER          AUGHAMORE            EAST GLS               CHARLESTOWN 2             LACKEN
BALLAGHADEREEN      GARRYMORE               BONNICONLON          CARAMORE            CASTLEBAR2                    CLAREMORRIS2
BURRISHOOLE             KILMEENA                   KILCOMMON            BALLINA                 BALLINTUBBER 2             AUGHAMORE2
CROSSMOLINA            SHRULE/GC                THE NEALE               CROSSMOLINA 2    BALLAGHADEREEN 2           BALLA 2
DAVITTS                     CASTLEBAR                KILTIMAGH               BALLYHAUNIS        MOY DAVITTS 2               CROSSMOLINA3
KNOCKMORE               ISLANDEADY               KILMAINE                 PARKE                   LAHARDANE                      ARDAGH
BELMULLET                 LOUISBURGH                HOLLYMOUNT         MOYGOWNAGH     BALLYCASTLE                    WESTPORT2
MOY DAVITTS              KILTANE                        KILALLA               ARDNARE              BALLINROBE 2                   BALLYCROY
CHARLESTOWN           CLAREMORRIS              MAYO GAELS             ACHILL                  KILFIAN                            BREAFFY2
WESTPORT                  KILMEENA     

TOP TWO TEAMS IN  SECTIONS 1B 1C 1D IE 1F WILL BE PROMOTED
BOTTOM TWO TEAMS IN 1A, 1B, 1C,1D WILL BE RELEGATED

PRIZE FUND AND REGULATIONS TO FOLLOW LATER

Davitt Man

I still cant see the logic in having Div 1A - 1F, i dunno why the county board constantly t**ker with the league format. Why they just cant stick to the old way of Div 1,2,3,4 e.t.c.

Any word on a fixture list. i suppose that will be done next week at some meeting.

prewtna

so is Div 1B effectively div 2? if so that means ballina are playing div 2 football. fair enough when you see where they finished in last years league i suppose but they werent exactly relegated now were they?

agreed davitt man. cant for the life of me see why they are constantly tinkering with it. but i must say its good news though that relegation and promotion has been clarified and simplified. i think the 1a to 1f is just another way of naming the divisions 1 to 6 and thats proabably a good thing. this business of having divisions running in parallel is/was pure nonsense. the 1A, 1B, 2A 2B was daft.

stephenite

Quote from: prewtna on January 15, 2008, 11:02:32 AM
so is Div 1B effectively div 2? if so that means ballina are playing div 2 football. fair enough when you see where they finished in last years league i suppose but they werent exactly relegated now were they?

agreed davitt man. cant for the life of me see why they are constantly tinkering with it. but i must say its good news though that relegation and promotion has been clarified and simplified. i think the 1a to 1f is just another way of naming the divisions 1 to 6 and thats proabably a good thing. this business of having divisions running in parallel is/was pure nonsense. the 1A, 1B, 2A 2B was daft.

How is it fair enough?You said it yourself, you're either relegated in a season or you're not. How were the team for the various divisions decided?

StoneWall

Quote from: stephenite on January 15, 2008, 11:08:01 AM
How is it fair enough?You said it yourself, you're either relegated in a season or you're not. How were the team for the various divisions decided?

The teams for the divisions were based on your finishing place last year. First round Paddy's weekend or weekend after depending if Ballina reach club final.

prewtna

Quote from: stephenite on January 15, 2008, 11:08:01 AM
Quote from: prewtna on January 15, 2008, 11:02:32 AM

wasnt it based on last years league performance? ballina finished 4th from bottom of the division and if you are (the county board not you) in the business of reshaping leagues back into a vertical structure then i would say it is fair enough that they are in div 2. where the unfairness lies is the constant reshaping of the divisions and the lack of warning from year to year. if the stephenites were aware at the start of the season that if they finished 4th from bottom they would be relegated, then i dare say it wouldnt have happened at all.

Davitt Man

1st round paddys weekend! not again, so thats another dry paddys weekend again this year.

stephenite

where the unfairness lies is the constant reshaping of the divisions and the lack of warning from year to year. if the stephenites were aware at the start of the season that if they finished 4th from bottom they would be relegated, then i dare say it wouldnt have happened at all.

That's exactly it, completley unfair.

Stephenites generally don't give two hoots for the league, but always do enough to retain their division one status. It is unfair for the club to be punished for this, as the man said, if we were told before the league that we would be relegated for finsihing where we did, it wouldn't have happened. I sense an opportunity has been taken by the board, pulling a stroke like this whilst most in the club are distracted what with preparing to represent the county and the province.