Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneWall

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 06, 2007, 09:14:59 AM

Colm Cafferkey and Donal Corrigan (Achill)

Is this some kind of joke? If it isnt its desperately disappointing.   :-[  :-\  :'(  :o

By your tone Abbeysider I take it you reckon there are other players (probably Ballintubber ones no doubt?) that you think should be there instead of them. Examples please...

the Deel Rover

Any one hear James Waldron on Matt cooper show last night saying that the county board was against handing out the grants to the players  he was going on about the clubs ect, the thing about it is the county board don't give 2 fcuks about club nor the players . Why is it if they care so much about the clubs they keep 90% of all club receipts also he said the expenses for the county board were 700k last year, where was that money spent on the gave feck all to hurling and the football was over in may so someone somewhere is getting a nice few bob, and then to cap it all off we in mayo have a Paid secrtary . :'(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

An Gaeilgoir

Deel Rover, you are on the ball there. "Dont pay the county players becuase its affects clubs", Our beloved county board dont give a shit about clubs,county hurling or county football teams. Its all about protecting their own patch,ducking and diving to maintain the status quo. Would our county board delegates be willing to give up the trip to New York or London every couple of years to keep costs down....i dont think so. This smells of double standards and a fear that county players would have more importance than the blazers. As regards our county secretary getting paid... look at all the good work he does i.e relegation debacle in Mayo, getting gaa involved in the Nally case and so on.....it just shows up the agenda of self interest and preservation even more.

the Deel Rover

Yes an gaelgoir they give the impression that they are making a statement on behalf of all club members . i don't agree with the grants or what the gpa stands for but the county board in mayo is a f**king joke as you said all they care about is their own patch. The way the players in mayo were treated by the county board last year was a joke bringing them to play in cork and not stay over night in order to keep expenses down and then have them play club matches the following day sure you wouldn't do it to a dog. If the county board spent 700k last year the real questions that needs to be addressed is where that money was spent.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on December 06, 2007, 08:36:08 PM

By your tone Abbeysider I take it you reckon there are other players (probably Ballintubber ones no doubt?) that you think should be there instead of them. Examples please...

Dont put words into my mouth.
Did I mention anything about Ballintubber players ??
I am disappointed; I saw Achill play a few times recently and no one stood out to me.
I didnt think any of them were anywhere near county standard. But thanks for the concern.  ;)

billy the kid

http://www.ofonebelief.org/

Get registered boys its our chance to show the prima donnas what we think and to stop the central council going over our heads
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Farrandeelin

Any AGMs apart from Knockmore's one that took place yesterday? Or any coming up?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spectator

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on December 08, 2007, 03:20:03 PM
Deel Rover, you are on the ball there. "Dont pay the county players becuase its affects clubs", Our beloved county board dont give a shit about clubs,county hurling or county football teams. Its all about protecting their own patch,ducking and diving to maintain the status quo. Would our county board delegates be willing to give up the trip to New York or London every couple of years to keep costs down....i dont think so. This smells of double standards and a fear that county players would have more importance than the blazers. As regards our county secretary getting paid... look at all the good work he does i.e relegation debacle in Mayo, getting gaa involved in the Nally case and so on.....it just shows up the agenda of self interest and preservation even more.

What do ye think about the fact that while Johnno came out in favour of the players, the county board then followed with the opposite position?

Have the county board the support of majority of GAA members in the county, or, has Johnno spotted the future far quicker than the 'blazers'?

rosnarun

Quote from: Barney on December 06, 2007, 12:24:32 PM
Quote[Lets all just wait and see how JOM handle things this year before deciding to grt rid of him in June/quote]

Two rosnarun's, there's only two rosnarun's.........
the funny thing is if JOM had got may to an All Irelnad he'd probably have got the bullet , but being humiliated by a shite derry team in front of a handful of fans in celtic park is seen as a greater sucess , GO FIGURE

AS for the Grants I reckon as long as all counties are getting the same for both football and hurling and they are in the form of Vouched expenses i dont see any ne ground being broken   but if they are ever paid out on merit that what will break the camels back and the players will become employees and no one will be able to hinder free access to the labour market and bye bye half the football teams in the country and all bar about 6 hurling teams
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ildanach

from gaa.ie

Mayo star Conor Mortimer has denied reports that he is ready to quit his club Shrule-Glencorrib in favour of a switch to a Dublin side.
The prolific forward was rumoured to be looking for an escape route from his club after they struggled to maintain their senior status last season.
Mortimer is a student at Dublin City University and a transfer to Dublin side Oliver Plunkett's, who boast several Mayo inter-county players in their ranks, was widely anticipated.
However, the Mortimer has revealed that it is a decision he will not consider for at least another two years.
"There is no truth in it at the minute," Mortimer told reporters in Croke Park on Wednesday.
"We had a disappointing year last year with the club there is no doubt about that. We just about escaped relegation. We weren't as successful as we should have been.
"We have four or five county players on our panel at the moment but we didn't play as well as we should have played for whatever reason.
"There is nothing in it at the moment, I am just concentrating on the college, and Mayo. It's DCU and the Sigerson at the moment anyhow."
Mortimer failed to rule out a move in the future, but he denied that any club in the capital had made any move to secure his services.
"A few years down the line you wouldn't know. I have been going out with a girl up here for a few years now and I see myself, when I finish college, working up here in Dublin. You never know, maybe in my later years I would transfer. But at the moment 'no'.
"I have heard a lot of talk in papers about St Oliver Plunkett's. I know a lot of the lads out there. You would here the usual clubs like Kilmacud Crokes and St Vincent's because there are Mayo guys playing in both of the clubs.
"I haven't been approached by anybody and I haven't approached anybody to talk about it," he added.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Farrandeelin

Mortimer also didn't know anything about the GPA's statement on the Mayo board decision last Thursday.  ??? He said the other members from Mayo didn't iknow either. Funny going on. But what's equally as funny is the county board's silence on Monday night about the grants issue. Will Feeney have to leave his secretary's post in 5 years time or will he move the chairs to suit himself again?

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand. Mortimer does a u-turn!

Conor Mortimer has backtracked on his comments regarding the statement issued by the GPA on behalf of the Mayo players last week regarding the controversial grants scheme.

Mortimer claimed on Wednesday night that most of his team-mates were, in fact, aware of the release of the statement which reaffirmed the support of the county's hurling and football panels for the grants scheme shortly after their own county board had voiced their opposition to the initiative.

Earlier in the day, Mortimer had told reporters: "I didn't know anything about it until after it was out. I got a call from a reporter and he told me about it. I know a couple of the lads from Mayo who work with the GPA and they knew nothing about it either."

But Mortimer performed a bizarre u-turn a few hours later when he said: "I've been speaking to quite a number of my team-mates since and they were actually aware the statement was coming out. The only reason I wasn't aware of it was the fact that I wasn't contactable that day."

The confusion comes less than a fortnight after Down secretary Seamus Walsh cast doubt on the validly of a similar statement from the county's senior panels in relation to the grants issue.

Tubberman

Yeah, that's a strange one.
Dessie Farrell really is on a crusade. I don't actually have a problem with the grants, but I do have a problem with Dessie Farrell and his attitude.
It looks like he released a statement in the name of the Mayo football and hurling squads while most of the players knew nothing about it. He's insulting groups of life-long GAA people every time he opens his mouth. He needs to knocked off his perch, and hopefully with a pretty hard landing.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

Some Walsh fella from the hurlers has got publicity before about Mayo and the GPA. He wrote in the Indo last week on the Grants. Wonder did someone like that release it?

rosnarun

it wouldnt be easy to know dessie off his perch now . It one of the down side of Professionalism. the only way to get rid of him would be if he got paid off and i dont think that would be seen as s good use of GPA funds. Also seen as hes the Chief exec whos gonna push for it to be on the agenda no its pretty much his orgization now sin Donal o'neill left to do with as he sees fit. If your a signed up member you cant really complain about statements in yous or your teams name.
Yuo need a long spoon if your going to sup with the devil
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere