Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Just finished Duggan's book - cracking read I thought. Didn't realise Martin Carney had such strong roots in Mayo and nephew the legendary Jackie.

highking

Club Stars Awards Last Night:

Ballina (6)
Charlestown (4)
Knockmore (3)
Ballagh (1)
Ballintubber (1)
Player of the Year - McGarritty
Snr Top Scorer - DMunnelly
Snr Top Scorer from play - TMulligan
Inter Top Scorer - SMallee
Inter Top Scorer from play - AFreeman & DFeehan.

Team: DClarke; KGolden, MWynne, JBrogan; DHiggins, CLeonard, THowley; DTiernan, RMcGarritty; RHarran, TMulligan, ADillon; BRegan, DBrady, DMunelly Subs: NGibbons, SRochford, GRuane, SMallee, CMoran.

Farrandeelin

I hear that James Gill is back in the panel. I cannot understand it at all.

PS, well done to Ballina in winning the Connacht final. Extra well done to Ronan McGarrity on being named club player of the year in Mayo after all he has been through. From a Knockmore man living virtually on the border with Ballina, I wish the Stephenites all the best in bringing Andy Merrigan to Mayo again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

Interesting team - 10 of the first 15 were not on the County panel last year! A startling statistic really - is it strength in depth or misguided selections by county managers over the last few years?

Farandeelin - what else can you tell us about the panel.

Gill had the ability as a young lad but disappointed. Lacked the pace and skill for the top-level. Maybe JOM can improve him.

Farrandeelin

Barney, I might be wrong about Gill. It's not every day I break news about the panel. I also heard that Conor Moran has been recalled. I might be wrong about that too and that the panel has been cut to around 30 players.

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on December 03, 2007, 08:06:32 AM
Interesting team - 10 of the first 15 were not on the County panel last year! A startling statistic really - is it strength in depth or misguided selections by county managers over the last few years?

I don't know that it's either Barney. The difference between even Mayo championship (one of the strongest in the country in my view) and Senior Inter County is quite big, how many of those on the All Stars team that haven't been involved would you give a run to? Many have had run outs and it didn't work out for them.

Kenny Golden -  fantastic player, had a run out with Holmes during the league a few years back, having a great season but the wrong side of 30 (just!!)
Martin Wynne - Should be playing for Mayo, fantastic talent. Doesn't care for playing at Inter county apparently - fair enough
John Brogan - Another great footballer, size counts against him in my view, we've enough with experience with small corner backs getting destroyed at the highest level.
Dermot Higgins - Has had a few runs before if memory serves me correctly, nice club footballer, worth a run again perhaps?
Colm Leonard - Great consistent club footballer, not sure he'd be able to make the step up, could be worth a run in the FBD, I've yet to see anyone clean him.
D Tiernan - Been there done that, great servant and still very effective at club level.
R Haran - Don't know enough about this guy to comment, exile means I've not seen him play.could be worth a run in the FBD perhaps to see how he copes?
TMulligan - Ditto, reports that he's a fine player.
Munnelly - Great instinctive forward - has he gotten any bigger since I last saw him?

O'Mahoney has the knack of all good managers, which is turning one or two lads that we all thought were limited enough footballers into winners and legends. There's bound to be a couple lying around the plains of the yews that we're not thinking of - or they could be in the list above, just waiting for the opportunity........... it's what the FBD is for surely to God

the Deel Rover

Is the club stars based on senior and intermediate championship teams then?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Mayo News...

Feeney calls for 'patience' after a disappointing year

Edwin McGreal

MAYO GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney has called on Mayo supporters to show patience in the quest for Sam Maguire in the coming years.
Writing in his annual report to the Mayo GAA Convention which will take place next Monday in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel in Belmullet, Feeney urges caution as Mayo prepare for their second year of the second term under the management of John O'Mahony.
"The team for 2008 should show many changes and I expect youth will be given its fling," writes Feeney. "Surgery is needed if we are to build for the future. Patience will be required. All-Ireland expectations will have to be put on hold for a few years. Key positions on the team need to be strengthened if we are to make a serious challenge for All-Ireland titles.
"The first round against Galway on May 20 was a bitter disappointment. Despite intense preparation for the game Mayo played poorly and defensive errors saw us leak two goals which left us with a hill to climb."
On the opening of Croke Park to the sports of rugby and soccer, Feeney was effusive in his praise for those in the GAA who ensured such a day came to pass.
"The opening of Croke Park to other codes was a brave and bold decision which portrayed the association in a very good light. The games in our national stadium were emotional and historical and attracted worldwide attention.
"Cumann Lutchleas Gael should feel proud that they have a world class stadium and were prepared to share its magnificence with its competitors in the national interest. Lets salute the men who had the vision and the courage to see this project through to the end."
However, on the issue of the Gaelic Players Association and the current move towards the payment of grants towards inter-county players, the outspoken Mayo GAA official was less than happy.
"There is a growing demand for pay for play if one reads into the statements of some of the spokesmen for the GPA. A demand for a share of the TV rights money is just one example. The employment of gurus from the United Kingdom to advise them on strategy is another. The GPA has no interest in the club player."
Instead, Feeney says that the money being put aside for players grants could be put to better use and outlined how players could be looked after.
"The grant from the government should be ploughed straight into the player injury fund where all players would benefit. Rate per mile should increase to 70c. A lunch allowance of €10 per day of training. A holiday fund for each county senior team starting at €20,000 for first round participants and bonuses for progress."
Another topical issue for the Mayo County Board is the issue of appeals. The relegation procedures for the county leagues were successfully appealed this year on a technicality and Feeney is critical of the clubs who launched such appeals.
"Once again we had our leagues upset by petty appeals. Every avenue is now explored to avoid playing games and the rulebook has now become a minefield. The disciplinary system is in a mess with appeals, DRA and courts now the order of the day."
With the development of McHale Park set to go ahead in the coming months, the Mayo GAA Secretary highlighted the need for fund-raising for the project.
"The project is ready for tender and the finance is being put into place. It will require great patience and good management to see the project though. Fundraising will have to be a top priority and the more you raise in advance the less you have to borrow."
Clubs, Feeney said, would have to have a greater input into the player injury scheme.
"This is a very valuable scheme for all players - club and county - and must be retained. Taking the income and expenditure in this county into consideration it is quite clear that the contribution for senior teams must rise in order to meet the increased demands."
In a wide ranging report, the Ballintubber clubman also reflected on the Under 21, Minor, Under 16 and Junior grades as well as discussing the successes or otherwise of the club championships, the County Board draw, hurling, the supporters club, coaching, Bord na nÓg, Masters and sponsorship.

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 04, 2007, 10:06:32 AM
Is the club stars based on senior and intermediate championship teams then?

It seems that way. I wonder did a junior club ever get one?

Farrandeelin

Barney

Nothing to get too excited about here

QuoteHopefuls shape up for Mayo
By: Anthony Hennigan

NOW that the threat of strike action has been averted following last week's resolution of the GAA player grants issue, focus can now return to on field matters and locally, the preparation of the Mayo footballers ahead of the 2008 season.

The FBD Insurance League commences as early as January 6, just four weeks from next Sunday, and the green and red have been granted home advantage for their opening Section 'A' clash with NUIG, the game scheduled for Flanagan Park, Ballinrobe. John Maughan's Roscommon and reigning champions Sligo IT are the other two teams in the group.

The make-up of John O'Mahony's squad for those three games (four, should they reach the final) is likely to be of an experimental nature with the manager confirming to the Western People that he does not intend settling on a squad for the National Football League until the completion of the FBD League.

However, it is known that management has cast its eyes over a large batch of 'new' players in recent weeks, in a number of challenge games and in-house trials. With that in mind, it's expected that many of those players to have received call-ups will be given game time once the FBD League comes around.

Among those thought to be under consideration are All-Ireland U-21 winners Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Colm Boyle (Davitts), Enda Varley (Garrymore) and Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy), along with Tom Parsons and Richard Haran (Charlestown), Colm Cafferkey and Donal Corrigan (Achill), Brian Benson (Crossmolina), John Prenty (Ballyhaunis), Kieran Conroy (Shrule/Glencorrib), Mickey Mullins (Claremorris), Sean Malee (Kiltimagh) and goalkeeper, Tom Higgins (Westport).

Connact Council, for the FBD League, operates a policy that allows third level teams have first call on three players per county, meaning that some of the above players may well feature for their college or university as opposed to Mayo. Nonetheless, O'Mahony seems sure to afford as many players as possible the opportunity to play their way into his plans.

One man definitely returning to the squad is Pat Kelly. An All-Ireland finalist with Mayo in '04 and '06, Kilmaine native Kelly was not involved in the set-up last season due to what the manager describes as "difficulties due to work commitments". The Dublin based Garda's return coincides with his sparking form during St Vincent's march to the Dublin senior football title and their subsequent run to the Leinster Club final.

Meanwhile, Mayo goalkeeper Kenneth O'Malley is in the midst of recovering from a serious injury that had him hospitalised for 10 days. The injury occurred whilst the Ballinrobe clubman featured for the University of Limerick in a game against the Garda College. His county team-mate, Aidan Kilcoyne, is also on the mend following a recent groin operation.

"At the moment we have players working on their own weight programmes and while we have a couple of meetings planned before Christmas, collective training won't begin in earnest until the New Year," John O'Mahony told the Western People, also expressing his satisfaction now that the GPA, GAA, government and Irish Sports Council had reached an historic agreement that will see senior inter-county players pocket between •1,400 and •2,600 in grants, depending on the championship progress of their team.

"It's a relief for everybody. The issue went for so long without resolution and then there was that threat of strike action hanging over the association. Nobody wanted uncertainty heading into the New Year, nor anything that that was going to be divisive so it's good news all round. Now everyone can concentrate on the real business of playing," he commented.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on December 06, 2007, 08:20:26 AM
Nothing to get too excited about here

Colm Cafferkey and Donal Corrigan (Achill)

Is this some kind of joke? If it isnt its desperately disappointing.   :-[  :-\  :'(  :o

rosnarun

no the like of Donal Corrigan is what we want to see at this stage in the year. Its the real test of a manager to spot potential in player no one else take much heed of . I think that is one way mayo under age player have a high profile could harm the county team . If they werent great minors or u 21 they have an up hill struggle to make their mark.
Lets all just wait and see how JOM handle things this year before deciding to grt rid of him in June
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

Quote[Lets all just wait and see how JOM handle things this year before deciding to grt rid of him in June/quote]

Two rosnarun's, there's only two rosnarun's.........

mannix

If JOM has them there its for a reason, they must have some degree of promise. I think that a lad can raise his game if his confidence is raised by management, i remember seeing a lad that was sub for 2 years and was very poor come out and be a great player when a new manager took over, he would never contest a ball with the other management but would die for one with a bit of pep talking.
I believe JOM and co know whats the best route, expect a stronger Mayo next summer for sure.