Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on November 19, 2007, 09:34:04 AM
Yeah, disappointing weekend.
I was at the Ballintubber v Moycullen match, and Moycullen were by far the better team.
They were extremely well organised. They were first to every break, gave Ballintubber no time on the ball, and most importantly, they made great runs so that the man with the ball always had options.
They just seemed far more experienced than a young Ballintubber team (Vinne Keane apart!). Moycullen had been a senior team for years and it showed. Hopefully Ballintubber will have learnt what to expect when next years championship comes around.

You said it all there Tubberman. Moycullen were pure class. Bradshaw ruled midfield and took some great scores. They have some finest forwards I have ever seen on an Intermediate team. Everyone of their forwards were dangerous and ran riot with our defence at times. Their passing and fitness was exceptional.

Its a pity about the soft goal that came from the high ball and if Tom Early and John Feeney were fit then it could have been a different story but I still think Moycullen would have had too much for us. Id defiantly back them for the Intermediate All Ireland.

GalwayBayBoy

How did Paul Clancy play lads? And Gareth Bradsaw? A lot was expected of Bradsaw when he was a minor but he hasn't broken through yet although he's still very young and has time on his side.

AbbeySider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 19, 2007, 03:23:14 PM
How did Paul Clancy play lads? And Gareth Bradsaw? A lot was expected of Bradsaw when he was a minor but he hasn't broken through yet although he's still very young and has time on his side.

Gareth Bradshaw was unreal. He is a fine mid-fielder and he took some wonderful scores. Moycullen ran riot in midfield at times. Clancy had a good game too. Everything he did with the ball was effective.

Tubberman

QuoteInsert Quote
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on Today at 03:23:14 PM

Gareth Bradshaw was unreal. He is a fine mid-fielder and he took some wonderful scores. Moycullen ran riot in midfield at times. Clancy had a good game too. Everything he did with the ball was effective.

And I thought No 10 was excellent - Brian Faherty I think. He was out in front of his man all day and dragged Paul Earley over and back across the pitch. Likewise number 11, they are an extremely fit team. Clancy didn't break forward much or do anything spectacular, but he was pinging his passes around very effectively. A few lovely kicked passes.
Anyway, that's enough praise to be giving to a Galway team ;) 
(They deserve it though)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteClancy didn't break forward much or do anything spectacular, but he was pinging his passes around very effectively. A few lovely kicked passes.

Yeah I believe he's more of a playmaker these days with the club ever since the knee injury. Wouldn't be quite as mobile as he once was. Was always an interlligent player though so he makes up for it in other ways.

mannix

God bless us all, a galway hurling team beat a mayo football team. Achill maybe its time to shut up and do some more training.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: stephenite on November 15, 2007, 03:02:43 AM
Quote from: highking on November 15, 2007, 02:11:55 AM
It's all Irish to Pearce
10:39 AM Thu 15 November, 2007 for lions.com.au

The Lions' newest recruit Pearce Hanley is the latest in a growing trend of Gaelic footballers looking to make the successful transition to the AFL. Hanley, who hails from the small dairy town of Ballaghaderreen in County Mayo, has already begun his steep AFL learning curve after being signed by the Lions on a two-year international rookie contract.

The 18 year-old, who only arrived in Australia on Friday, wasn't phased as he fronted to media with team mate and fellow Irishman Colm Begley for the first time prior to Wednesday's training session. "I've never played a proper game of Aussie Rules but seeing Colm and others make it out here is massive encouragement to keep at it," Hanley said. The sport is not entirely foreign to the Ballaghaderreen Gaelic player who regularly watched his homeland heroes play in the AFL on television back in Ireland.

He also played in the hybrid 2006 Under 17 International Rules Series in Fremantle where he first shot to prominence by winning the Ron Barassi Medal as Ireland's best player. "I like the physical part of football with the tackling and the fact that you get rewarded for taking a mark," he said. "But it's all new and I'm sure to find out plenty more during training."

Touted as a good user of the ball with excellent pace, Hanley showcased his skills with the oval ball for the first time at Monday's training session at Churchie. "Sometimes when I bounce the ball it will come back up to me. But the next time I try it won't and I end up running after it," Hanley laughed. "But I feel like I'm getting used to it."

Fortunately, Hanley has an ally in compatriot Begley, who was in a similar position two years ago. Begley arrived in Brisbane at the end of 2005 with a Gaelic football background and only a very basic understanding of the sport. His extraordinary development has seen him play 21 senior matches in his two seasons with the club.

It is no surprise that Begley has been the perfect sounding board for Hanley as he tries to prepare for transition from Gaelic football to the AFL. "I have basically mentioned that dedication and a good mindset are very important to deal with the huge learning curve of new skills and the unfamiliar bounce of the ball at high speed," Begley said. "When I first starter, I found that the biggest challenges were definitely the speed of the game and the fact that you really can't afford to make any mistakes. But the good thing about it is that you get to start from scratch and you don't bring in any bad habits with you," Begley said.

Cue mayhem from the sheepstealers - but it is interesting to note that surely the writer of this piece wouldn't have a breeze where Ballagh is, so he has obviously asked young Hanley, quite an interesting answer considering the Rossies swear blind he's a died in the wool Sheepstealer at heart.  ;D

not quite mayhem from the sheepstealers, maybe they are learning! I know Pierce reasonably well and can guarantee he is a Mayo supporter through and through, hence why he says he's from Mayo. In fairness, given the 2 options it's hard to blame him  ;D

Tubberman

I see on hoganstand message board there are rumours that Tom Parsons is leaving Charlestown and joining Bellaghy/Curry so that he can play with Sligo.
Any truth in this, or is it just usual hoganstand fare?
Wasn't there an argument from Sligo posters that Parsons is really a Bellaghy man anyway and should never have been playing for Charlestown/Mayo etc.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

I think it must be fiction Tubberman. He has been training with Mayo and has played some games already this Autumn.

not sure if he's the real deal though.

Davitt Man

that hoganstand is a joke, dont heed them message boards, a bunch of fools most of them, the last month it has been non stop achill talk!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on November 14, 2007, 08:07:05 AM
Anyone go to the trial game at the weekend between the seniors and u21s. It was mentioned in the Western last week.

Im wondering Barney is that Next Years U-21 team or this years?
Sorry for the confusion but im thinking it was this years U-21 team. What month do nest years U-21 squad get together?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tubberman on November 22, 2007, 02:36:44 PM
Wasn't there an argument from Sligo posters that Parsons is really a Bellaghy man anyway and should never have been playing for Charlestown/Mayo etc.
That much is true, but I suspect the rumour is exactly that. Charlestown aren't going that bad in fairness, and Curry have a lot of talent coming through, and should win a fair bit over the next few years, but I couldn't see him coming 'home'.

Re Hoganshite - don't heed it (though the Jordan speculation proved correct to be fair), sure this week there's loads of comments about a Brogan lad from Curry U20's, describing him as the next big thing and all that, who allegedly destroyed Harps in the U20 c'ship last week, scoring a mighty 1-1 from FF. Some pleb even texted Newstalk about him! These trends to mention individuals on HS tend to drag for a while and for no apparent reason, as I know too well myself.

Greenabovethered

Tom Parsons lives across the border in Bellaghy but went to school in Charlestown and played underage for Charlestown. At least 5 of the Charlestown senior squad live in Bellaghy. Traditionally Bellaghy residents always play with Charlestown. Every so often the issue arises that they should be playing for Curry and Sligo. Over the years one or two residents have donned the Curry colours and the black and white of Sligo, usually as the result of a dispute rather than any great loyalty to the Yeats county. Charlestown being on the border of Sligo has a smaller parish and smaller pick as a result.

Whether T Parsons is the real deal or not is still out with the jury. He is a great talent and a gifted footballer. His faults are a Ciaran Whelanesque ability to disappear out of  games and a lack of a mean streak for intercounty midfield. Although i think he can be coached to be a better played as he has all the basics. 

AbbeySider

Brady delighted with Connacht victory
27 November 2007

Ballina and Mayo talisman David Brady admits winning the Connacht title in "probably his last" year makes the success all that bit sweeter.

The Mayo kingpins defeated defending Connacht champions St.Brigid's on Sunday in the Connacht final and Brady is elated with the sides achievement. The midfielder also had a special mention for his colleague Ronan McGarrity.

"It's fantastic, it's a great feeling and all the more so because it's probably my last one,::)  ::)  explained Brady.

"You look at Ronan McGarrity and all that he has been through this year, it's amazing. It was a team effort. We have battled-we battled through there and, at the end of the day, we won the Connacht title.

"After losing at the semi-final stage last year we were hurt and we were just looking for a Connacht title, that's what we're happy with now," concluded Brady

What a hero...  :P

Davitt Man

Mitchels and Kiltane appeal relegation

Edwin McGreal

BOTH Castlebar Mitchels and Kiltane have submitted appeals to the Connacht Council against their relegation to Division 2 of the County Leagues.
Both clubs submitted their appeals late last week against the decision of the Mayo GAA Board to relegate them to Division 2 after Kiltane finished bottom of Division 1A and Castlebar were left propping up Division 1B.
The two clubs were initially informed earlier this year that they would have a safety net of a play-off game with the second bottom team in the corresponding division to try to avoid relegation.
These were the rules as published in the Mayo GAA handbook but a successful appeal into the relegation procedures by Louisburgh and Shrule/Glencorrib (who finished second bottom in Division 1A and 1B respectively and Ballyhaunis, who finished second bottom in Division 2B) resulted in the play-off procedures being scrapped.
This resulted in the County Board informing both Castlebar Mitchels and Kiltane that they would be relegated but both clubs have lodged similar appeals challenging this.
Castlebar Mitchels chairman James Rocke was reluctant to be drawn on the details of his club's appeal but he told The Mayo News that he was confident that Castlebar would be successful.
"We're unhappy with the decision to relegate us, we feel it is in breach of the rules for the league for this year that we played under," said Rocke. "We wouldn't be appealing if we thought we had absolutely no chance of winning. We feel we have a case and we would like for that to be heard," said Rocke, who also confirmed that his club had communicated with Kiltane about the appeal both clubs were submitting.
The Mayo News understands that both clubs are appealing on two grounds.
Firstly, they are believed to be appealing with regard to the fact that one game relevant to the relegation battle in the last round of the league was played at a later time on the day in question than all others (that being Claremorris v Ballina). The clubs argue that this gave Claremorris an unfair advantage as they knew what they had to do before the game while other teams didn't have that privilege.
This appeal is, naturally, of greater significance to Castlebar as they were in this same division.
The Mayo News understands that the other aspect of both Kiltane and Castlebar's appeal is based on the fact that when the County Board met to review the decision of the Connacht Council to uphold the appeal to the play-off procedures, a member of one of the clubs who had appealed to the provincial hearings committee sat in on the meeting.
Kiltane and Castlebar are arguing that the person in question should have stood out of the meeting.
The club's appeal could be heard later this week but is more likely to be held early next week.