Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

AbbeySider

Quote from: ludermor on November 12, 2007, 09:27:52 AM
Any word on the relegation play off?

I thought there was a meeting on Friday night to decide whats happening?
Does anyone know what happened at it ?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on November 12, 2007, 01:59:06 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 12, 2007, 12:01:16 AM
Lads, did Crossmolina win the Division 1 final? They were six up when I heard it on MWR. Garrymore won the Division 2 final, and someone won Division 3, but I can't rememmber who.

Didn't hear anything, but fair play to them, they're the only club to take the league seriously - they're racked up a fair few titles in the last 10 years. We haven't won a league since the late sixties, because no one is that bothered with it.

yea great achievment by the lads i think its the 7th league in the last 12 years fair play to the lads especially after the way we got knocked out in the championship. i don't know about ballina not been bothered about it stephenite i was talking to Liam Mc and it really annoys him that he hasn't got a league title
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Davitt Man

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 13, 2007, 09:15:24 AM
Quote from: stephenite on November 12, 2007, 01:59:06 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 12, 2007, 12:01:16 AM
Lads, did Crossmolina win the Division 1 final? They were six up when I heard it on MWR. Garrymore won the Division 2 final, and someone won Division 3, but I can't rememmber who.

Didn't hear anything, but fair play to them, they're the only club to take the league seriously - they're racked up a fair few titles in the last 10 years. We haven't won a league since the late sixties, because no one is that bothered with it.

yea great achievment by the lads i think its the 7th league in the last 12 years fair play to the lads especially after the way we got knocked out in the championship. i don't know about ballina not been bothered about it stephenite i was talking to Liam Mc and it really annoys him that he hasn't got a league title

Sure Ballina never have a full team for a league match they are nearly always missing players sure remember last year Liam Higgins had to play in goals

Davitt Man

Mitchels and Kiltane await relegation fate

Edwin McGreal

CASTLEBAR Mitchels and Kiltane are this week waiting to hear whether they will be relegated to Division 2 of the County Leagues after last week's Connacht Council Hearings Committee ruled in favour of the three Mayo clubs who had challenged the county board's relegation procedures.
The new league structures introduced earlier this year eventually saw a set of relegation procedures adopted which would see the bottom two teams in Divisions 1A and 1B and 2A and 2B go into relegation play-offs. However, three clubs – Louisburgh, Shrule/Glencorrib and Ballyhaunis – challenged these structures.
They did so on the basis that an initial set of relegation plans, which would have seen the bottom team in each section automatically relegated, were not correctly rescinded before the play-offs format was adopted.
The clubs' appeal was upheld under Rule 152 (n) pursuant to Rule 97 of the GAA's Official Guide at last Thursday night's Hearings Committee meeting at the Connacht Council Offices in Ballyhaunis.
The success of the appeal now means that Kiltane and Castlebar, who finished bottom of Divisions 1A and 1B respectively, look set to be relegated straight to Division 2 despite assuming all year that finishing in the bottom two meant a play-off place at worst.
At the time of going to print (Monday), both clubs were waiting to hear from the County Board regarding their position. However, Mayo GAA Board Secretary, Seán Feeney, didn't sound optimistic for their chances on Friday last.
"From the decision that was made last night the relegation issue is fairly clear cut," Feeney told The Mayo News. "There'll be no play-offs and the bottom teams will go down. The board will naturally have to meet and consider what to do but that (relegation of the bottom teams) is the most likely outcome I think."
The Chairmen of the two clubs now looking like they will plummet straight to Division 2 are holding their fire until they receive official notification.
"We're in a bit of limbo. We have received no official communication from the County Board and we will have to wait for that before we know our position," Mitchels' chairman James Rocke told The Mayo News. "We played the league under a certain set of rules and we are now finding that a different set of rules might be implemented. We don't want to be pre-emptive though, we will wait for official communication."
"We just have to sit tight," explained Richie Cosgrove, chairman of Kiltane. "People have been coming up to me saying we should appeal this and that but we cannot appeal anything until we hear from the County Board. We've been aware all year that if we finished in the bottom two we would be in a play-off. That was always our understanding of it."
Mitchels were initially due to play Louisburgh in a relegation play-off and Kiltane to face Shrule prior to appeals being lodged by the two clubs. Ballyhaunis, who were due to play Ballina B to avoid relegation from Division 2, also appealed.
Peter Walsh, secretary of the Shrule/Glencorrib club, was content with the outcome of Thursday's meeting. "We're happy with how things worked out. We're relieved that it's over and we can look forward to 2008."
Walsh and Mattie Murphy were in attendance at the meeting on behalf of Shrule/Glencorrib. Louisburgh were represented by Michael O'Malley and James McDonnell, chairman and secretary respectively, while James Reidy (Assistant Secretary) and John Higgins (Registrar and intermediate team selector) were there on behalf of Ballyhaunis.
Reidy spoke on behalf of the three clubs while the Mayo County Board was represented by secretary, Seán Feeney and chairman of the activities committee, Paddy McNicholas.
Sligo's Andy Hannon was chairperson of the eight man hearings committee.

The Lord of Luuuvre

Didn't the Mayo scretary's job recently become a paid part-time position?  I think there's grounds for a strike here.   ;D
Greetings and salivations

Barney

Anyone go to the trial game at the weekend between the seniors and u21s. It was mentioned in the Western last week.

highking

It's all Irish to Pearce
10:39 AM Thu 15 November, 2007 for lions.com.au

The Lions' newest recruit Pearce Hanley is the latest in a growing trend of Gaelic footballers looking to make the successful transition to the AFL. Hanley, who hails from the small dairy town of Ballaghaderreen in County Mayo, has already begun his steep AFL learning curve after being signed by the Lions on a two-year international rookie contract.

The 18 year-old, who only arrived in Australia on Friday, wasn't phased as he fronted to media with team mate and fellow Irishman Colm Begley for the first time prior to Wednesday's training session. "I've never played a proper game of Aussie Rules but seeing Colm and others make it out here is massive encouragement to keep at it," Hanley said. The sport is not entirely foreign to the Ballaghaderreen Gaelic player who regularly watched his homeland heroes play in the AFL on television back in Ireland.

He also played in the hybrid 2006 Under 17 International Rules Series in Fremantle where he first shot to prominence by winning the Ron Barassi Medal as Ireland's best player. "I like the physical part of football with the tackling and the fact that you get rewarded for taking a mark," he said. "But it's all new and I'm sure to find out plenty more during training."

Touted as a good user of the ball with excellent pace, Hanley showcased his skills with the oval ball for the first time at Monday's training session at Churchie. "Sometimes when I bounce the ball it will come back up to me. But the next time I try it won't and I end up running after it," Hanley laughed. "But I feel like I'm getting used to it."

Fortunately, Hanley has an ally in compatriot Begley, who was in a similar position two years ago. Begley arrived in Brisbane at the end of 2005 with a Gaelic football background and only a very basic understanding of the sport. His extraordinary development has seen him play 21 senior matches in his two seasons with the club.

It is no surprise that Begley has been the perfect sounding board for Hanley as he tries to prepare for transition from Gaelic football to the AFL. "I have basically mentioned that dedication and a good mindset are very important to deal with the huge learning curve of new skills and the unfamiliar bounce of the ball at high speed," Begley said. "When I first starter, I found that the biggest challenges were definitely the speed of the game and the fact that you really can't afford to make any mistakes. But the good thing about it is that you get to start from scratch and you don't bring in any bad habits with you," Begley said.

stephenite

Quote from: highking on November 15, 2007, 02:11:55 AM
It's all Irish to Pearce
10:39 AM Thu 15 November, 2007 for lions.com.au

The Lions' newest recruit Pearce Hanley is the latest in a growing trend of Gaelic footballers looking to make the successful transition to the AFL. Hanley, who hails from the small dairy town of Ballaghaderreen in County Mayo, has already begun his steep AFL learning curve after being signed by the Lions on a two-year international rookie contract.

The 18 year-old, who only arrived in Australia on Friday, wasn't phased as he fronted to media with team mate and fellow Irishman Colm Begley for the first time prior to Wednesday's training session. "I've never played a proper game of Aussie Rules but seeing Colm and others make it out here is massive encouragement to keep at it," Hanley said. The sport is not entirely foreign to the Ballaghaderreen Gaelic player who regularly watched his homeland heroes play in the AFL on television back in Ireland.

He also played in the hybrid 2006 Under 17 International Rules Series in Fremantle where he first shot to prominence by winning the Ron Barassi Medal as Ireland's best player. "I like the physical part of football with the tackling and the fact that you get rewarded for taking a mark," he said. "But it's all new and I'm sure to find out plenty more during training."

Touted as a good user of the ball with excellent pace, Hanley showcased his skills with the oval ball for the first time at Monday's training session at Churchie. "Sometimes when I bounce the ball it will come back up to me. But the next time I try it won't and I end up running after it," Hanley laughed. "But I feel like I'm getting used to it."

Fortunately, Hanley has an ally in compatriot Begley, who was in a similar position two years ago. Begley arrived in Brisbane at the end of 2005 with a Gaelic football background and only a very basic understanding of the sport. His extraordinary development has seen him play 21 senior matches in his two seasons with the club.

It is no surprise that Begley has been the perfect sounding board for Hanley as he tries to prepare for transition from Gaelic football to the AFL. "I have basically mentioned that dedication and a good mindset are very important to deal with the huge learning curve of new skills and the unfamiliar bounce of the ball at high speed," Begley said. "When I first starter, I found that the biggest challenges were definitely the speed of the game and the fact that you really can't afford to make any mistakes. But the good thing about it is that you get to start from scratch and you don't bring in any bad habits with you," Begley said.

Cue mayhem from the sheepstealers - but it is interesting to note that surely the writer of this piece wouldn't have a breeze where Ballagh is, so he has obviously asked young Hanley, quite an interesting answer considering the Rossies swear blind he's a died in the wool Sheepstealer at heart.  ;D

mrroscommonman

Barney

Painful weekend for Ballina in the hurling final. No suprise. The achievement was in getting there. Hopefully the footballers can step up to the mark on next Sunday.

How did Ballintubber get on?

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on November 19, 2007, 08:07:54 AM
Painful weekend for Ballina in the hurling final. No suprise. The achievement was in getting there. Hopefully the footballers can step up to the mark on next Sunday.

How did Ballintubber get on?

Not surprised I suppose, went to bed hoping in that sort of hopeless way, 15 men against 15 and you never know etc. Fantastic achievement to get to the final and here's hoping next weekend has a happier ending, gonna be tough though

StoneWall

Very disappointing weekend for Mayo on the club front...

Ballina James Stephens 0-7 Portumna 6-23
Ballintubber 1-8 Moycullen 3-11
Achill 0-8 Gort 2-6

Tubberman

Yeah, disappointing weekend.
I was at the Ballintubber v Moycullen match, and Moycullen were by far the better team.
They were extremely well organised. They were first to every break, gave Ballintubber no time on the ball, and most importantly, they made great runs so that the man with the ball always had options.
They just seemed far more experienced than a young Ballintubber team (Vinne Keane apart!). Moycullen had been a senior team for years and it showed. Hopefully Ballintubber will have learnt what to expect when next years championship comes around.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

Hard luck Tubberman  - still a good season for ye, and as you said the experience gained will be huge