Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

16 senior teams out of 23 clubs?
They should spread it more and make the lower teams in senior really work to be senior,i.e come up from junior or inter.

Davitt Man

The way the mayo county board are going we will have disjointed senior set up in mayo as well in a few years where the leagues means nothing, look at islandeady, junior c\ship and playing division 1!!

IolarCoisCuain

Keith Duggan has no connection with Mayo, as far as I know. He's just a very, very good GAA man and an excellent writer. The book is a must-buy.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on November 06, 2007, 02:07:34 PM
QuoteWere Farnan's any good Tubberman? Good result considering that ye were missing Dillon. Alas the mess that is the SFC here (16 teams like Mayo, except we only have 23 clubs!) ensures that our Intermediate reps are weak and getting weaker all the time. Next year's winners could be slaughtered.

I didn't actually get to Enniscrone as I am in Dublin, will be down for Connacht final though!
Abbeysider was at the game I think, he might be able to give you a bit more info on Farnan's, although from what I heard Ballintubber were comfortable enough and Farnan's didn't ever really look like winning.

Farnans were weak enough, we were missing Tom Early, John Feeney and Alan Dillon and still managed a comfortable enough win. Paul Early was excellent and the backs did very well considering we were missing our Full back and Centre back... Up front, nearly all the forwards got on the score sheet with Vinney Keane standing out the most.

Owenmoresider, What are Moycullen like? I know they have the Clancey brothers...

GalwayBayBoy

I'm just on the thread lads to tell ye I saw Keith Duggan's book on Mayo in Easons at lunchtime. Thought I'd let ye know as I didn't even know he was doing a book. Should be a good read as Duggan is an excellent writer. I spent a good 20 minutes flicking through it.

He even does a chapter on the Mayo/Galway rivalry. Only read a small part of it though.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: mannix on November 06, 2007, 02:41:04 PM
16 senior teams out of 23 clubs?
They should spread it more and make the lower teams in senior really work to be senior,i.e come up from junior or inter.
Of course they should. But they managed to mess up the attempts this year (the aim was 12-12-whatever in the JFC by 2009) by not getting everything in order, and one of the relegated clubs, who have pull in Connacht circles like one of the parties to the Mayo leagues issue, went there and won their case and rightly so. But it's not doing the club scene any favours. I mean if we got ourselves together and gave it a go we could challenge for the Intermediate, and that doesn't say a whole lot for its standard. Hopefully it will be sort itself out soon, and we might get a credible Junior grade - even if it means us getting familiarised with it again.

One thing should come out of all these shenanigans, both here and in Mayo - that league and championship status should be tied in together, and not allow teams to pay scant regard to the league, scrape a win in C'ship and be safe year in year out. Does nobody any good.

Abbeysider - I don't know where Moycullen is, never mind whether they are any good! Mind you if they were senior for a good while they can't be too bad, and Clancy would be as important to them as Dillon to ye I guess. Looked like a good win over the Ros crowd anyway.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 06, 2007, 04:37:02 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 06, 2007, 02:07:34 PM
QuoteWere Farnan's any good Tubberman? Good result considering that ye were missing Dillon. Alas the mess that is the SFC here (16 teams like Mayo, except we only have 23 clubs!) ensures that our Intermediate reps are weak and getting weaker all the time. Next year's winners could be slaughtered.

I didn't actually get to Enniscrone as I am in Dublin, will be down for Connacht final though!
Abbeysider was at the game I think, he might be able to give you a bit more info on Farnan's, although from what I heard Ballintubber were comfortable enough and Farnan's didn't ever really look like winning.

Farnans were weak enough, we were missing Tom Early, John Feeney and Alan Dillon and still managed a comfortable enough win. Paul Early was excellent and the backs did very well considering we were missing our Full back and Centre back... Up front, nearly all the forwards got on the score sheet with Vinney Keane standing out the most.

Owenmoresider, What are Moycullen like? I know they have the Clancey brothers...

Moycullen is about 8 miles north-west of Galway city. Technically they are a Gaeltacht side so their names will be in Irish in the programme.

Pol Macfhlannacha pulls all the strings for them from centre-back obviously.

Haven't seen them recently but they were apparently by far the best intermediate team this year. A fairly young side I believe. The only other player they have on the Galway panel is Gearoid Breadseach who is still U-21 I think. They beat St Dominic's from Roscommon 3-12 to 0-9 last Saturday.

AbbeySider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 06, 2007, 08:52:21 PM

Moycullen is about 8 miles north-west of Galway city. Technically they are a Gaeltacht side so their names will be in Irish in the programme.

Pol Macfhlannacha pulls all the strings for them from centre-back obviously.

Haven't seen them recently but they were apparently by far the best intermediate team this year. A fairly young side I believe. The only other player they have on the Galway panel is Gearoid Breadseach who is still U-21 I think. They beat St Dominic's from Roscommon 3-12 to 0-9 last Saturday.

Yeah I heard they were very strong this year, beating before and after them in the Galway Intermediate championship.

RedandGreenSniper

Duggan is from Ballyshannon but has a hankering for Mayo football. Bought the book and from what I have read so far it is superb stuff.
Chapter on Ted Webb is really powerful stuff. For those of us who were born after his sudden death it gives a real insight into how tragic his death was to Mayo football, to the town of Ballyhaunis and, of course, to his family.
Excellent material too from Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast on 50 and 51 and some very honest stuff from Johnno on his 'relationship' with John Maughan. Can't wait to get back into it!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Davitt Man

Does Johno not get on with Maughan???

What does it day in the book

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on November 08, 2007, 12:56:05 PM
Does Johno not get on with Maughan???

What does it day in the book

Jez dont answer that question! Im going to buy the book and dont want any SPOILERS!!! Send him a PM instead!
;)  ;D

The Lord of Luuuvre

Johnno will be addressing the Trinity College GAA Soc next Wednesday night, November 14, on the issue of 'Motivation.'

He will be speaking in the Swift Theatre and it starts at 8.00pm.

Greetings and salivations

mannix

Lets hope it works better on them than it did on Mayo last summer.

Onion Bag

Mayo Lads,

There is a chap on the Hoganstand site going by the name of Ball Boy, He is a w**ker, really getting up everyones noses, If anyone of you know him, would you mind hitting him a slap and tell him to catch a grip  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Onion Bag on November 08, 2007, 03:09:30 PM
Mayo Lads,

There is a chap on the Hoganstand site going by the name of Ball Boy, He is a w**ker, really getting up everyones noses, If anyone of you know him, would you mind hitting him a slap and tell him to catch a grip  ;)

Its because of idots like him that I do not read the Hogan Stand message board anymore.