Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Ah seriously farandeelin give us some credit!

Seriously though how do ye feel about the ladies. Of course they are going great guns, but i'd get the same satisfaction from their wins as I would from an FBD win for the lads.

What about John Brogan for the county panel? Good reports from a lot of sources.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Barney on September 13, 2007, 07:58:31 AM
Ah seriously farandeelin give us some credit!

Seriously though how do ye feel about the ladies. Of course they are going great guns, but i'd get the same satisfaction from their wins as I would from an FBD win for the lads.

What about John Brogan for the county panel? Good reports from a lot of sources.

I was at the last final win in 03. Despite the fact we won an All-Ireland title, it didn't feel like it at all. As you say an FBD win would feel the same probably at this stage. Don't plan to go myself but I do expect them to win.

John Brogan is a great full back. The problem is that he is a bit too small if a big full forward like Donaghy was put on him. Despite that fact he handled the Charlestown full forward (who is big enough) the last day quite well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

I reckon jom and co should stick any 14 year that can play football into a bucket of 10 10 20 for a year or 2.This brogan lad you talk about, how tall and what weight would he be?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mannix on September 13, 2007, 01:08:32 PM
I reckon jom and co should stick any 14 year that can play football into a bucket of 10 10 20 for a year or 2.This brogan lad you talk about, how tall and what weight would he be?

:D :D :D   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

JOM is on with Des Cahill tonight talking Mayo and the AI

the Deel Rover

can't seee him talking too much about mayo barney
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

Any word on if mac,nallen or gardiner will be back next year?Mac should try until he is too old.Kerry cannot continue and mayo should be ready to go again next year.David brady is another that should, 2 goals at the weekend when put to the ff spot, was not working in midfield and is a viable option at ff for mayo.

Barney

Mannix I think anyone that saw Brady in Celtic Park will know his goose is cooked. He has never scored a championship goal for Mayo and is not going to start now. Anyway from what I hear he is definitely a goner.

Apparently James Nallen is going to stay on. I've said before what a great servant he was but time has caught up sadly.

Don't expect to see the Captain back.

We have to move away from these lads. They were great players and great servants but no point in asking them to plug holes in the team. Its time for the young lads to stand up and take responsibility. Are they hungry enough? Are they good enough? Those are the big questions for me. Some experience is required and David Heaney will hopefully give it another year or two. McDonald may be the exception to the age rule. If injury allows him to play he will be good enough but remember it will be 4 years since his best ever year for Mayo.

Don't think Gardiner should be back but expect he will be.

I know we have no definite answer but I assume Hanley is definitely going.

Now that the lads are back training anyone hear of any interesting additions to the pool? I'm sure it will be after the club championship before there is any great news.

rosnarun

every one is saying we should get a new team but yet any player that is mention seems to be shot down sharish not to mention the poster talking about brogan asked what height and weight he was before he asked could he kick a ball.
We seem like a county who Keiran Donaghy has given a major small man complex to . except our players ,garrymore apart, arnt as ratty as those normally afflicted with the syndrome.
my view is for the last 20 years mayo have been developing small skilfull player to play quick open football(or in feenys words, ' the wrong type of player !!') the likes of any moran p gardiner,alan dillon,K higgins, ect  , but the point is that what our top players are now and your going to pick inferior players to change what has been a hugely sucessfull route just short of an AIF win.
do we really want to throw ot the baby with the bathwater,
this year our failing had more to do with an incompetent distracted manager than a lack of inches 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

MacDanger

Quotethis year our failing had more to do with an incompetent distracted manager

I agree with Rosnarun, JOM was also to blame for our failings in 2004 & 2006.............Off with his head!!!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2007, 09:13:00 PM
Why do ye have two threads?

Cos we're class. ;) Ah no, one is for the discussion about the county panel and prospective panelists etc. The other is about club games in the county.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Sean Feeney has been ratified for another two years. It's now a part-time paid position, but he won't be staying beyond these two years.
McHale Park development is due to get underway fairly soon as well

Taken from The Mayo News:
MAYO GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney was unanimously ratified for a further two years in his position last night, taking him up until the end of 2009. The increase in Feeney's term will also see a change in his role from a voluntary official to that of a part-time paid position.
Feeney, together with County Board chairman, James Waldron, told Monday night's County Board delegates meeting that they felt it best for Feeney to continue in his position while redevelopment work on McHale Park was set to begin.
Feeney was keen to stress that while he would be remunerated, he would prefer if he could continue in a voluntary capacity. "Because I have already served over five years, if I am to continue it has to be in a paid capacity," he told The Mayo News.
"For me payment is a secondary reason for remaining on. We are in the middle of a big infrastructural project at McHale Park and it wouldn't be practical to pass all the responsibility to someone at this stage. But it won't be any longer than two years. I definitely will be calling it a day at the end of 2009 and someone else will be taking over."
The proposal to extend his term received unanimous backing and is now only subject to ratification by Croke Park.
Regarding the re-development of McHale Park, James Waldron told the meeting that he expects the contract to go to tender before the end of October. He also added that as Mayo have home championship matches next year, they did not want to be in the middle of renovation work for those games.
"What we intend to do is carry out as much of the work on the new stand off-site and then commence work on-site in July or so. We are looking at having it ready by the following May (2009)," explained Waldron.
County Board Treasurer JP Lambe told the meeting that gate receipts for club championship games are on course to at least match last year's tally. To date, €148,540 has been taken in, in advance of county finals.
County Board Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas said that, due to the FBD Final in New York between Sligo IT and New York, the final round of county league games were now back to the weekend of October 21.
It was also announced that the 2008 Convention would take place in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel in Belmullet on December 10 next. The 2008 Comortás Peil na Gaeltachta Maigh Éo will be hosted by CLG Acaill, the meeting was told.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Tubberman on September 18, 2007, 11:15:15 AM
Sean Feeney has been ratified for another two years. It's now a part-time paid position, but he won't be staying beyond these two years.

MAYO GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney was unanimously ratified for a further two years in his position last night, taking him up until the end of 2009. The increase in Feeney's term will also see a change in his role from a voluntary official to that of a part-time paid position.
Feeney, together with County Board chairman, James Waldron, told Monday night's County Board delegates meeting that they felt it best for Feeney to continue in his position while redevelopment work on McHale Park was set to begin.
Feeney was keen to stress that while he would be remunerated, he would prefer if he could continue in a voluntary capacity. "Because I have already served over five years, if I am to continue it has to be in a paid capacity," he told The Mayo News.
"For me payment is a secondary reason for remaining on. We are in the middle of a big infrastructural project at McHale Park and it wouldn't be practical to pass all the responsibility to someone at this stage. But it won't be any longer than two years. I definitely will be calling it a day at the end of 2009 and someone else will be taking over."
The proposal to extend his term received unanimous backing and is now only subject to ratification by Croke Park.
Regarding the re-development of McHale Park, James Waldron told the meeting that he expects the contract to go to tender before the end of October. He also added that as Mayo have home championship matches next year, they did not want to be in the middle of renovation work for those games.
"What we intend to do is carry out as much of the work on the new stand off-site and then commence work on-site in July or so. We are looking at having it ready by the following May (2009)," explained Waldron.
County Board Treasurer JP Lambe told the meeting that gate receipts for club championship games are on course to at least match last year's tally. To date, €148,540 has been taken in, in advance of county finals.
County Board Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas said that, due to the FBD Final in New York between Sligo IT and New York, the final round of county league games were now back to the weekend of October 21.
It was also announced that the 2008 Convention would take place in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel in Belmullet on December 10 next. The 2008 Comortás Peil na Gaeltachta Maigh Éo will be hosted by CLG Acaill, the meeting was told.

"Part time paid official"  Oh Really! ;)

rosnarun

Mc danger you really need to reexamine your definition of failure .
Failure in GAA terms is being laughed out the gate by a very poor galway side in the first round of the connaught championship and then being humiliated in celtic park by a one man derry outfit.
failure is not getting to allireland finals and losing them that is just a disappoining end to a great year.

rosnarun

Quote from: Tubberman on September 18, 2007, 11:15:15 AM

Such absolute humbug. not only is he being forced to stay on but the are legally obliged to shove money in his pocket to do so.
this guy will give Putin bad ideas . he has been a millstone around the mayo football teams neck for the last 4 years what ever about his organizational skills and probably cost mayo it 2 best managers in the last 50 years not to mention the destruction of the hurling team with his constant sniping and penny pinching and slitoar counting and now we have to pay for the privilage. Has this been the plan the whole time to build a county board white elephant as a tribute to themselves at the expense of mayo football .

BTW now he professional all comment is fair game . not like the rest of the hard working volunteers,fair play to them