Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: ballinaman on October 06, 2015, 04:08:51 PM
Think the county board feel obliged to deal with Elverys at present as Elverys were there in the no so great days after genfit. I'd say the sponsorship is nothing compared to Kerry group or AIG deals even taking into account Kerry/Dublin population/success.

I hear ya but if maximising the money to run football and hurling at all levels is what the Board are worried about then sentiment can't come into it.
There is a huge interest in the county team especially and it wouldn't take too much imagination to develop a large amount of revenue from this interest. Unfortunately outside of charide Mhaigh Eo and the tea , kikatt and sangwhiches sold form the shop in the stand , there doesn't seem to be much of plan when it comes to revenue for the county and clubs!!!
We probably need a full time commercial director/financial director as well as a full time county secretary/administrator to run all these affairs properly.

Farrandeelin

Anybody read Daniel Carey's piece in the Mayo NEws on 'Where are they Now?' on the 2013 minor team? The amount of groin, hip and knee injuries is frightening to say the least. Anybody know the reason why there are so many injuries among them?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on October 06, 2015, 05:08:07 PM
Think the county board feel obliged to deal with Elverys at present as Elverys were there in the no so great days after genfit. I'd say the sponsorship is nothing compared to Kerry group or AIG deals even taking into account Kerry/Dublin population/success.

I hear ya but if maximising the money to run football and hurling at all levels is what the Board are worried about then sentiment can't come into it.
There is a huge interest in the county team especially and it wouldn't take too much imagination to develop a large amount of revenue from this interest. Unfortunately outside of charide Mhaigh Eo and the tea , kikatt and sangwhiches sold form the shop in the stand , there doesn't seem to be much of plan when it comes to revenue for the county and clubs!!!
We probably need a full time commercial director/financial director as well as a full time county secretary/administrator to run all these affairs properly.

Agree. Ye got a scenario where the players are approaching professional level as regards preparation.

Then ye hear that stuff about biscuit tins and stuff.

I ve no idea what Elvery's sponsorship is worth but sentiment can t come into it if a better sponsorship deal can be done. Advertising on tv isn't cheap. Over the last 5 years few teams in Irish sport has got the exposure that Mayo has.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2015, 10:06:47 PM
Anybody read Daniel Carey's piece in the Mayo NEws on 'Where are they Now?' on the 2013 minor team? The amount of groin, hip and knee injuries is frightening to say the least. Anybody know the reason why there are so many injuries among them?
Yep.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ballinaman on October 06, 2015, 10:12:54 PM
Yep.

It called treating growing lads like men. Or replace treating with training.

Nihilist

I agree about the "under" performance of the CB. Sure that's where all the blame lies with H&C in the overall scheme of things.

But very little criticism has been leveled in that direction or will be. Personally speaking I read those leakages to the Connaught Telegraph  and whereas some people assume they came directly from management personally I assume they came directly from within the current board. I think there is a strong mentality there to be in control all the time and they don't want anyone interfering with that.

However that comes back then onto clubs as this is where the board come from. And probably several strong personalities within the County who engineer the election and re-election of the same or similar cohorts year after year. Indeed there is no doubting their cunning. But i don't see them as capable of having the overall best interests of the fans or players at heart.

A lot of it is simply personal ambition and power. 

FL/MAYO

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2015, 10:27:24 PM
Yep.

I believe this is why none of the Claremorris lads joined the panel this year. From what I'm told they have a few good players that would have probably made the team.

From the Bunker

Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 07, 2015, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2015, 10:27:24 PM
Yep.

I believe this is why none of the Claremorris lads joined the panel this year. From what I'm told they have a few good players that would have probably made the team.

What a tough choice to have to make? Hard to turn down (probably) the (only) opportunity to play for you county. In order to safe guard your future health. (Can't believe I'm saying this but) Fair Dues to Claremorris for putting player welfare first. It's a thing not many individuals or clubs do.

macdanger2

Interestingly, Mayo's odds for 2016 have been shortened from 6/1 to 5/1 since the heave

mrhardyannual

The Mayo deal with Elverys was one of the best in the country when signed and I don't think that it has reduced any over the past few years. Its a structured system with elevated payments depending on progress. When you consider where we've been in the past few years it's hard to think that it didn't deliver well. In addition to cash it has the beauty of delivering gear etc to players over and above and while in Mayo control the sponsors were never found wanting. It is not easy getting a major sponsor and in general companies who sponsor have a local link. Sentiment doesn't come into it on either side. This is one area in which Mayo CB has been ahead of the curve. Overall Mayo's finances are an open book and accounts at year end are detailed and easily read even by a non-accountant like me. The only figures not quoted are individual or company donations/sponsorship and individual payments to players etc. and that is normal practice in all counties and clubs.

Crete Boom

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 07, 2015, 05:03:17 PM

The Mayo deal with Elverys was one of the best in the country when signed and I don't think that it has reduced any over the past few years. Its a structured system with elevated payments depending on progress. When you consider where we've been in the past few years it's hard to think that it didn't deliver well. In addition to cash it has the beauty of delivering gear etc to players over and above and while in Mayo control the sponsors were never found wanting. It is not easy getting a major sponsor and in general companies who sponsor have a local link. Sentiment doesn't come into it on either side. This is one area in which Mayo CB has been ahead of the curve. Overall Mayo's finances are an open book and accounts at year end are detailed and easily read even by a non-accountant like me. The only figures not quoted are individual or company donations/sponsorship and individual payments to players etc. and that is normal practice in all counties and clubs.

I am an accountant and the firm I work for has prepared accounts for a good few clubs over the years and I can honestly say the Mayo accounts are far from an open book. If I was asked to sign off on these accounts I would be very nervous of an audit. They are very vague (on purpose in my opinion)with regard to actual capital costs and the assets are vastly over valued which skew the actual financial position of the Co finances.

maigheo

Wondering what people thought of Mike Connellys statement at the county board meeting last night.Does not reflect too well on the players if they would not give reasons to H and C for the no confidence vote.

mayo.mick

Quote from: maigheo on October 20, 2015, 11:48:59 PM
Wondering what people thought of Mike Connellys statement at the county board meeting last night.Does not reflect too well on the players if they would not give reasons to H and C for the no confidence vote.

"On Thursday night, myself and [County Board vice-chairman] Seamus Tuohy and [Mayo GAA administrator] Michael Cummins [were] in the office waiting for Keith and Cillian, and at 8.30, Keith and Cillian arrived with most of the squad. Keith read out a letter. I told them I wasn't aware there was such big problems, and asked them why they took this route – could they not have met with the management and sorted it out? They didn't engage in the discussion and left the office.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

maigheo

Connelly said earlier in his statement that the players would not tell H and C the reasons they wanted them out but in that piece it seems that the letter contained all the issues the players had with H and C.Confusing to say the least but as Connelly said himself we may as well move on as the past is the past and it will not do anybody any good to keep rehashing the whole thing

macdanger2

Yeah, very little point in going over old ground now and certainly not in public. The important thing is to have something in place to prevent this sort of stuff happening again - whether this "charter" will achieve that or not is another story