Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

If the story in the Connacht telegraph is true, it's time for the lads to pack their bags. If the players have lost faith in them, they're finished. The longer this drags on, the messier it gets.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 28, 2015, 11:35:27 PM
If the story in the Connacht telegraph is true, it's time for the lads to pack their bags. If the players have lost faith in them, they're finished. The longer this drags on, the messier it gets.

They should have walked as soon as the season ended. What's wrong with some people when they don't realise that the game is up and no way out. Instead they drag it out to this sorry mess. They lost the plot and the team as far back as March/April and never had any stamp on things anyway. How could they? Joint managers ffs

skeog

you only think you have problems in mayo see jim mc guinness devoting a full page in todays irish times about a holiday voucher that hadnt arrived be a bucket collection outside parkhead at the weekend

macdanger2

Apparently Marty has an interview with M Connelly on the 6 o'clock news. It'll be interesting to hear what the spin is.

From what he said on radio, the mgmt asked for reasons for the vote of no confidence but were given none. A fair enough request imo albeit not something which could change the outcome. The vote was 27-7 so pretty decisive.

Also made it sound like there was quite a bit of shock and anger in the county at this move. Complete BS from what I can see.

Players reps supposedly meeting the CB on Thursday.

macdanger2

Any word on the U21 manager? I think I read somewhere it was to be decided last night?

macdanger2

Bringing this back here to avoid some of the sh*te in the thread on the main board.

Who are we looking at for the next manager?

Horan II – unless he's learned something in his year off, probably not a good idea. CB unlikely to want to entertain his demands anyway
Rochford – a bit of a gamble but probably worth it IMO
Maughan III – the least preferred option for me
Kearney – only throwing his name in here cos he always seems to be mentioned

Outsiders:
McGuinness – I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have some interest in the challenge of bridging the gap but unlikely to give up a professional career with Celtic
Buckley – unproven and would he want to make the transition from coach to manager? With O'Neill gone from Kerry, I'd bet he'll be back in there
O'Connor – guaranteed not to be interested as he's Kerry U21 manager and has his eyes on the top job there in a couple of years but in an ideal world, he'd be my choice
McEntee – would be an interesting appointment if he teamed up with someone from inside the county (e.g. Nallen). Is he involved with anyone now?
Canavan – didn't achieve much with Fermanagh, could prove to be another Jack O'Shea

No real standout candidate but the bookies had Rochford & Horan as the two front runners last week

mrhardyannual

James Horan's piece in the "Western" seemed to give unqualified backing to the players. I'd say that it's his to take if he wants it. The big question is what has he learned to add to the mix from last year? A second question would be the demands that he has and the desire/ability of the CB to meet them.

Nihilist

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 05, 2015, 08:29:44 PM
James Horan's piece in the "Western" seemed to give unqualified backing to the players. I'd say that it's his to take if he wants it. The big question is what has he learned to add to the mix from last year? A second question would be the demands that he has and the desire/ability of the CB to meet them.

Thats a big point and one that was certainly a sticky point all year for the players. Is the money there to guarantee the standards that the players want?   

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on October 05, 2015, 08:37:34 PM

Thats a big point and one that was certainly a sticky point all year for the players. Is the money there to guarantee the standards that the players want?

Was there such a difference between what was happening this year and the structures that James Horan had in place?

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on October 05, 2015, 09:20:30 PM

Was there such a difference between what was happening this year and the structures that James Horan had in place?

CB had cost saving measures in all year I think.
From fewer sandwiches at training right up to not having full panels travel on match days. As they said in the papers it was death by a thousand cuts but at the CB end of it was the issue of monetary consumption.

I assume its also one of the reason Mike Connolly was directly involved with the players as a mediator and also a reason why his bro and PH were put there in the first place instead of the Ross alternative.

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on October 05, 2015, 09:28:54 PM

From fewer sandwiches at training right up to not having full panels travel on match days. As they said in the papers it was death by a thousand cuts but at the CB end of it was the issue of monetary consumption.

I assume its also one of the reason Mike Connolly was directly involved with the players as a mediator and also a reason why his bro and PH were put there in the first place instead of the Ross alternative.

First of all I wonder how much that stuff would have saved? I d also have doubts that it was fewer sandwiches and other cutbacks that was the substantive cause of dissatisfaction.

Still going cheap will get us nowhere. Going back on standards Horan put in place short-sighted imo. Ye cant go back or cut-back. No sport goes backwards. The board have a top 3 team on their hands and their priority should be getting to no.1 but it wont come cheap.
I dunno but are Mayo as well marketed as it could be? A team that gets as much exposure as it does has to be attractive. Also a lot of Mayo people around the world that could be a source of funds. But people are more likely to get on board if they think the board is functional and ambitious. The events of recent weeks would not encourage people to put their hands in their pockets.

mayo.mick

Quote from: moysider on October 05, 2015, 09:57:58 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on October 05, 2015, 09:28:54 PM

First of all I wonder how much that stuff would have saved? I d also have doubts that it was fewer sandwiches and other cutbacks that was the substantive cause of dissatisfaction.

Still going cheap will get us nowhere. Going back on standards Horan put in place short-sighted imo. Ye cant go back or cut-back. No sport goes backwards. The board have a top 3 team on their hands and their priority should be getting to no.1 but it wont come cheap.
I dunno but are Mayo as well marketed as it could be? A team that gets as much exposure as it does has to be attractive. Also a lot of Mayo people around the world that could be a source of funds. But people are more likely to get on board if they think the board is functional and ambitious. The events of recent weeks would not encourage people to put their hands in their pockets.

The antics of the county board buck last year in Connollys in New York, did his best to dip into the supporters pockets!
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Nihilist

Well you have to look at it from both sides. First of all I think it's fair to say that both sides want to win the All Ireland. But at what cost?

From the players side they want every stone  turned in order to achieve that objective and if that requires so many extra ounces of gold to complete then so be it. They are not worried about costs. The goal is all that concerns them.

On the other hand the CB also wants this goal but at the same time does not want to go bankrupt in the strive for it. They look at it more pragmatically and say there is no guarantee that this bunch of players will win the  All Ireland even if Fort Knox was thrown at them. They have other financial commitments as well - i.e. through all grades within the County . Plus they don't have the financial clout of Dublin or Kerry so have to be more cautious.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Nihilist on October 06, 2015, 10:31:53 AM

Well you have to look at it from both sides. First of all I think it's fair to say that both sides want to win the All Ireland. But at what cost?

From the players side they want every stone  turned in order to achieve that objective and if that requires so many extra ounces of gold to complete then so be it. They are not worried about costs. The goal is all that concerns them.

On the other hand the CB also wants this goal but at the same time does not want to go bankrupt in the strive for it. They look at it more pragmatically and say there is no guarantee that this bunch of players will win the  All Ireland even if Fort Knox was thrown at them. They have other financial commitments as well - i.e. through all grades within the County . Plus they don't have the financial clout of Dublin or Kerry so have to be more cautious.

Totally fair argument put forward Nihilist but what about the performance of both sides. The players have failed on the pitch in the big game but by small margins (poor shot selection, lapses of concentration, tactical naivety etc..) but the have maintained a high standard bringing them nearer to their goal. You could argue that some of the reasons they have failed might be out of their hands i.e. the quality of the opposition and unlucky injuries at the worst times. 5 Connacht titles in a row and maintaining division one status are huge achievements during their time.

Now let look at the county boards performance during this time. They have put in place successful managements (Horan, Gilvarry, H&C at U21's ) redeveloped the McHale Park stand , restructured the McHale debt and implemented the Chairde Mhaigh Eo ticket scheme. During this time though the spent and borrowed way to much money for the McHale park redevelopment  treating it like a vanity political project , they have failed miserably in the simple task of appointing the county management team last year, there is still no transparency in to how the accounts of the County are kept and where the money is spent. The total failure to tap into the large ex pat community abroad and the business community in Mayo in any professional or meaningful way to develop the revenues of the county , the heavy handed and brutal pressure put on clubs when looking for contributions to help running the county allied with very little in the way of help coming the other way to develop the clubs be it facilities or coaching and the farcical nature of the missing 3000/4000 tickets from our allocation in 2012 , biscuit tins on the door in New York (I witnessed this with my own eyes) , the charging of children to wear green and red in school in the run up to the All Ireland in 2012 (should have been a voluntary contribution) and the failure to implement the strategic plan purely because of the Financial transparency part of the plan!!!

If this was a workplace assessment of performance the players would in my view be giving a positive grade on their efforts to achieve their goals whereas the Co Board would be under a lot of scrutiny if not in fear of their jobs!!!

I do think with the right environment we easily have the Financial Clout of Kerry or Dublin to compete. Think of the amount of very successful ex pats in New York or Chicago alone who would love nothing more to give a little to the Mayo cause or take someone like McHale Farm Machinery ( the biggest independent farm Machinery manufacturer in the world at present) based in Mayo who might contribute if approached in a professional manner but they won't unless they feel the money is part of an overall long term plan to improve the fortunes of All levels of Mayo football ( not to pay for the mistakes of foolhardy vanity projects) and certainly won't invest money into a body that fails to publish a proper set of comprehensive accounts into the financial going ons of the Co Board!!!!

ballinaman

Think the county board feel obliged to deal with Elverys at present as Elverys were there in the no so great days after genfit. I'd say the sponsorship is nothing compared to Kerry group or AIG deals even taking into account Kerry/Dublin population/success.