Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2015, 12:43:27 AM
It's damage limitation now. We all have egos and H&C can tough it out with the backing of the board.

But what then? They never seemed to have the confidence of the players and that is not going to change is it? It's all over for them.

They should be old enough and wise enough to do the right thing and not drag it out. This situation is beyond rescue. Sometimes you have to walk away without causing a fuss.

This 'issue' did not happen because we lost to Dublin. Neither was it inevitable once we went out. This has been festering from the start.

It's done - one way or another. It's not like they are on a contract and hang around to be paid off.

Hang on now. Have you any concrete evidence of that? Personally I didn't hear anything coming out of the camp during this year to say there was dissatisfaction with the current management. Was there something I missed?

Ballaghman

Quote from: Nihilist on September 17, 2015, 12:16:55 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2015, 12:15:05 AM
Quote from: bucko on September 16, 2015, 10:37:57 PM
Tweet from AO'S on Twitter this evening. "Logic and @MayoGaa rarely go together".

First visible cracks???

The first visible cracks - nay fractures - were there 6 months ago.

Send for The Wolf to clean up this mess as quickly as possible. Loads of coffee, cream and sugar needed now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmRTjLRMfU

So what's the solution Moy?

It's damage limitation now. We all have egos and H&C can tough it out with the backing of the board.

But what then? They never seemed to have the confidence of the players and that is not going to change is it? It's all over for them.

They should be old enough and wise enough to do the right thing and not drag it out. This situation is beyond rescue. Sometimes you have to walk away without causing a fuss.

This 'issue' did not happen because we lost to Dublin. Neither was it inevitable once we went out. This has been festering from the start.

It's done - one way or another. It's not like they are on a contract and hang around to be paid off.

What's all this based on Moy? The group has been seriously tight lipped all year. We've heard rumours but any one I've talked to that's close(ish) to the set up didn't give a thing away all year. I don't expect you to name sources but are you making these comments based on concrete evidence/sources?  Or, is just hearsay or because you personally want to see H & C get road?

muppet

I have heard of the odd row at training during the year, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't know Noel, but I honestly can't see Pat staying on if he is clearly not wanted by either players or anyone else. If he does stay it would indicate to me that there is no heave against them.
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Aiden O'Shea isn't helping anything with that tweet. This is stand up and be counted time. The leaders on the team have to lead now. If they want to back Pat and Noel, fine. Let them back Pat and Noel, and tell fellas bitching to put up or shut up.

But if the leaders on the team want Pat and Noel gone, then they need to come out and say so, and damn the consequences. If Pat and Noel go, then only Horan can take over. There's no getting-to-know-you stuff then - everyone knows what's going on, and everyone knows that 2016 is shit-or-bust.

What they can't do is be neither one thing or the other. If they're tolerating Pat and Noel but not really listening to them then nobody is really in charge and back to mediocrity they slide. Die dog or shite the license time for those boys now. I hope God gives them guidance. It's no easy decision to make.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 17, 2015, 10:37:14 PM
Aiden O'Shea isn't helping anything with that tweet. This is stand up and be counted time. The leaders on the team have to lead now. If they want to back Pat and Noel, fine. Let them back Pat and Noel, and tell fellas bitching to put up or shut up.

But if the leaders on the team want Pat and Noel gone, then they need to come out and say so, and damn the consequences. If Pat and Noel go, then only Horan can take over. There's no getting-to-know-you stuff then - everyone knows what's going on, and everyone knows that 2016 is shit-or-bust.

What they can't do is be neither one thing or the other. If they're tolerating Pat and Noel but not really listening to them then nobody is really in charge and back to mediocrity they slide. Die dog or shite the license time for those boys now. I hope God gives them guidance. It's no easy decision to make.

Aidan's father was on a ticket (with Alan Dillon I m told?) that were interested in challenging for the minor job. For some reason delegates at the meeting voted in favour of returning Enda rather than seek more nominations. I dunno. Enda won an AI and maybe deserves a bit of slack but maybe there is something to be said for looking at other options. I suspect that Aidan was more likely to be commenting on that scenario. Aidan maybe should not have tweeted anyway.

It looks like H&C will continue. The chairman has played a blinder circling the wagons around the management and letting the dust settle. As I said earlier the ball is in management's court. A player revolt is a no no. It's a case of you're screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. But really they don t. Player revolt never ends well. They have no choice but to suck it up and get on with it now.

Farrandeelin

Is Buckley staying on, or is the CB chairman hopeful he'll stay on? Two different things surely.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2015, 11:27:35 PM

Aidan's father was on a ticket (with Alan Dillon I m told?) that were interested in challenging for the minor job. For some reason delegates at the meeting voted in favour of returning Enda rather than seek more nominations. I dunno. Enda won an AI and maybe deserves a bit of slack but maybe there is something to be said for looking at other options. I suspect that Aidan was more likely to be commenting on that scenario. Aidan maybe should not have tweeted anyway.

It looks like H&C will continue. The chairman has played a blinder circling the wagons around the management and letting the dust settle. As I said earlier the ball is in management's court. A player revolt is a no no. It's a case of you're screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. But really they don t. Player revolt never ends well. They have no choice but to suck it up and get on with it now.

On a point of information, player revolts seldom end well, but it's not accurate to say they never end well. The Offaly hurlers rebelled against Babs Keating in 1998 and went on to win the All-Ireland.

It's about the leaders in the group now. They have to decide what they want to do and commit to that course of action. The worst-case scenario is for them to think "musha, same old Mayo," and go through the motions. If they start thinking like that it'll be the end of them.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 18, 2015, 11:13:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2015, 11:27:35 PM

On a point of information, player revolts seldom end well, but it's not accurate to say they never end well. The Offaly hurlers rebelled against Babs Keating in 1998 and went on to win the All-Ireland.

It's about the leaders in the group now. They have to decide what they want to do and commit to that course of action. The worst-case scenario is for them to think "musha, same old Mayo," and go through the motions. If they start thinking like that it'll be the end of them.

Perhaps Offaly were the exception that proves the rule. That rumpus happened in the middle of championship iirc. I heard Michael Duignan talking about that one. Great craic altogether. I don t think Bond would be considered a coach but the lads seemed to lay off the sauce a bit and cop on a bit. Then they got a lifeline when Jimmy Cooney's watch wasn t calibrated right and the rest is history and fair play to them. But Cork revolts did not work out to well and our car-push putsch in 92 didn t end well either.

I don t think its realistic to expect players to instigate change. There was no tough questions from club delegates - unlike say '06, when lads were planted to get rid of Moran and get Johnno in. The people who own the game in the county have different agenda than current players and supporters.

The players and the fans now have no option but suck it up. Of course nobody is forced to play or go to games if they don t want.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Nihilist on September 17, 2015, 07:09:29 PM

Hang on now. Have you any concrete evidence of that? Personally I didn't hear anything coming out of the camp during this year to say there was dissatisfaction with the current management. Was there something I missed?
There sure was. Think back to the league game against Dublin earlier this year. The display was the worst I can recall ever seeing.
There was most definitely some trouble stirring in the camp. James Horan referred to this in his column where he said that Buckley should stand up and be counted. (At least I think it was Buckley; might have been Solan.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 19, 2015, 02:13:49 AM
Quote from: Nihilist on September 17, 2015, 07:09:29 PM

There sure was. Think back to the league game against Dublin earlier this year. The display was the worst I can recall ever seeing.
There was most definitely some trouble stirring in the camp. James Horan referred to this in his column where he said that Buckley should stand up and be counted. (At least I think it was Buckley; might have been Solan.)

It was Buckley Lar. And it was an extraordinary remark. Shocking stuff really.

An analogy. It's like The Speaker of The House of Representatives taking charge of USA in a crisis while the President and Vice President are still aroundl but were disfunctional. You can decide who is President and Vice -President between Pateen and Nole yerself.
It seems that Buckley was the sticky tape that held the season together.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 18, 2015, 07:12:23 AM
Is Buckley staying on, or is the CB chairman hopeful he'll stay on? Two different things surely.

Spot on. Probably the most relevant post on this issue. Spin,spin spin. Maybe Buckey stays on as the sticky tape. So what? Maybe we ll hear in a few weeks time that he is not back. By then nobody is paying any attention. I wouldn t be surprised if he has decided to move on but persuaded to keep shut for a while to give H&C more breathing space. 

At the end of the day he is the drill monkey. Harsh maybe but likes of Kerry, Dublin, Donegal and Tyrone don't depend on a member of background staff to keep the show on the road.

maigheo

Not sure how anybody could come to the conclusion that Buckly was running the show all year with no evidence .Talk about adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 8.Just wish Sweeney had taken his chance the first day v Dublin and  I would  be in the capital right now dreaming of glory tomorrow  :)

macdanger2

Was talking to a Kerryman last night who knows Buckley and he reckons he is definitely gone

moysider

Quote from: maigheo on September 20, 2015, 03:30:33 AM
Not sure how anybody could come to the conclusion that Buckly was running the show all year with no evidence .Talk about adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 8.Just wish Sweeney had taken his chance the first day v Dublin and  I would  be in the capital right now dreaming of glory tomorrow  :)

Who said Buckley was running the show?

Being sticky tape and 'keeping the show on the road' a different scenario.

Evidence? We ll have to wait until House of Pain vol.2 and the retro of retired players to get the picture.

Chimley

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 20, 2015, 03:55:57 PM
Was talking to a Kerryman last night who knows Buckley and he reckons he is definitely gone

If that is the case then the narrative is being prepared on a drip drip basis.

1 The entire team will remain in place for 2016.
2. We believe that the entire team will carry on in 2026.
3. It is our hope that the Donie will continue with us in 2016.
4. Meet Johnny. He brings a wealth of experience and has trained Hollymount U8s in the past.

moysider

Quote from: Chimley on September 21, 2015, 07:02:30 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 20, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

If that is the case then the narrative is being prepared on a drip drip basis.

1 The entire team will remain in place for 2016.
2. We believe that the entire team will carry on in 2026.
3. It is our hope that the Donie will continue with us in 2016.
4. Meet Johnny. He brings a wealth of experience and has trained Hollymount U8s in the past.