Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 09, 2015, 09:14:21 PM
Reports that some players had to go on the Luas in their Mayo tracksuits to collect their cars after the match on Sunday despite the county board promising them they would provide transport to bring them.

Make of that what you will.

Why would their cars be in Dublin?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 09:32:27 AM
Reports that some players had to go on the Luas in their Mayo tracksuits to collect their cars after the match on Sunday despite the county board promising them they would provide transport to bring them.

Why would their cars be in Dublin?

Beats me. That's what's going around however. From a reliable enough source too I might add.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Chimley

moysider

Not going to happen so no point. Could only happen if he got crocked and released. That'd be no good to us.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I think lack of quality hasn t been the substantive issue for us. Counties have won AIs with less quality that we've had the last few years.

We ve been unlucky with crucial players getting injured when it counted as well. Andy getting injured v Down 2012 and Clarkie v Donegal 2015 were catastrophic injuries for our chances.

Chimley

You can add Cillian and AOS banging heads in 2014 to that list too. Cost us that game as they were playing puck with the Kerrymen at the time.

I used to think you were right about quality and if you look at our team player by player that seems to stand up but as a whole I'm not so sure.

Our defence do not have enough players versed in the dark arts so aside from Lee and Donie we need a few more in there. Keith Ger Kevin K and Cunniffe are too 'pure' in their football for the cynicism if the modern game. Look at how Dublin and Kerry last year handled AOS and think how we'd go about the task.

Speaking of AOS we need to find a position for him but Im not sure where it is because he lacks a bit of crucial pace and  his size affects his stamina in central positions. I'd be tempted to stick with him in the FF line but not as the lone targetman. Think how Kerry used Tommy Walsh as a wingman for Donaghy when in their pomp. We need to find another like Kirby maybe. Otherwise I'm not sure where AOS fits on the biggest days.

As you have said we have plenty of players with quality but we need to create something that exceeds the sum of their parts. The defence has needed surgery for a few years and the addition of a few men with hairy hooves would be a step in the right direction. Up front I think COC was not at 100% this year so that alone will improve our prospects next year.

Onwards and upwards.

moysider

Board chairman 'can't wait' for new season

Edwin McGreal

Mayo GAA chief Mike Connelly is looking forward to the 2016 season with huge optimism despite Mayo's heartbreaking defeat to Dublin on Saturday.
The team managed by Pat Holmes and Connelly's brother Noel lost the All-Ireland semi-final replay at a packed Croke Park.
"We're in a very, very good place," Mike Connelly told The Mayo News last night (Monday). "I was down and out until yesterday (Sunday) morning but the more I think about it the more I cannot wait until 2016.
"This team might be four or five years on the road but we have a great nucleus of a team, as good as we'll ever have. I have no doubt we can go to another level. We're chomping at the bit for 2016," he added.
The Mayo GAA Board Chairman also confirmed that the joint management team of Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly would remain in situ next season.
"Pat and Noel have a three year term. They didn't come in for one year willy nilly to go away if things didn't go well. They're involved in Mayo football for years and they are there for the long haul and looking forward to next year to try and bring the ultimate, the All-Ireland, to the best supporters in the country," said Mike Connelly.
He is 'hopeful' that none of the senior players will retire and that all the squad will be present and correct when Mayo meet again on December 1. He also called on the county to get behind the players and management.
"Players, management, county board, clubs and supporters all have to knuckle down and be back in the best way possible in 2016. We can listen to the knockers and the bullshitters or we can look forward to 2016 and give the players and management 110 per cent backing. If we don't we're fools," said Connelly.
He also said the management will benefit 'hugely' from this year.
"New management too have come in and to try and make your mark in the first year is difficult. In the league you want to stay in Division 1 because it is so important for the County Board and for the team but you also want to blood new players. The management will know the capacity of the team and of players now after their first year. I'm sure that if they haven't assessed it yet they will assess in the coming weeks where things went wrong from a management point of view and from a playing point of view."

Such a load of bollocks. One of the worst rear-guard defences spin I ve seen. Where to begin? Oldest bullying trick in the book to challenge fans to support management and team 110%. ffs.

The bit in bold is pathetic. I would suggest that Dublin management knew the capacity of the Mayo team better than H&C ffs. Were H&C deep frozen for the Johnno/Horan years?

And the management will assess where things went wrong with their own management ;D ;D ;D

And from a playing point of view??? Is that players or how they play or tactics or ............

So maybe now for example they know that ******* can implode even though fans have been covering their eyes a few years now when he plays.

Pathetic. This regime (chairman and management) obviously see this as their fiefdom to make their mark. They had players who had already reached 2 finals and 2 semis!!! there is more video out there of this Mayo team than 9/11. Are these guys slow learners? maybe they even went to some games and saw them live?

Just when I think things are bad, I come across this spin and realise that things are worse than I thought.

After that both chairman and management need to go but it wont happen. They ll do their term and - chairman and management - will slink way from the ashes of our best team. Shame.

Farrandeelin

Anybody know about these 'rumours' about trouble in the camp?

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 14, 2015, 08:13:27 PM

Ive heard rumours to farr but sure isnt there always rumours when we get beat.I hope there not true mind

larryin89

Surely that's bullshit ,sure don't they get a coach to Dublin , why would their cars be in Dublin ? Pics of the coach leaving Ballaghaderreen with Andy boarding the coach and Ann solan seeing them off.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 14, 2015, 08:48:16 PM

Ive heard rumours to farr but sure isnt there always rumours when we get beat.I hope there not true mind

On the contrary I hope there is. If there isn t there should be.

Mayo4Sam14

Heard it earlier in the year after bad league campaign,  went away when we got back to winning, I do hear that Alan Dillon isn't happy
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on September 14, 2015, 09:36:32 PM

Can't go on any longer though Moy ,if they're not wanted , out ta fook . This panel don't need any hinderence . Mike Connelly/Connolly s statement is a load of manure .

Structures need to be put in place and the men that are responsible for such need to wake the fook up , our minor and 21 team this year were friggin useless and I still don't know what the fook is going on with all the minors that are walking around injured this last two years. Oisin Horan was on minor panel last year , I don't think he's played a game for kilmovee since (if he has it's only last couple of months)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayoman dan

What ive heard is not good and would significantly weaken us for next year if true.I think its bullshit though

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on September 14, 2015, 09:47:56 PM

Can't go on any longer though Moy ,if they're not wanted , out ta fook . This panel don't need any hinderence . Mike Connelly/Connolly s statement is a load of manure .

Structures need to be put in place and the men that are responsible for such need to wake the fook up , our minor and 21 team this year were friggin useless and I still don't know what the fook is going on with all the minors that are walking around injured this last two years. Oisin Horan was on minor panel last year , I don't think he's played a game for kilmovee since (if he has it's only last couple of months)
Indeed, you're right on the money with regards our underage and especially u-21 'structures'. Any word on who will be taking the vacancy? Whoever steps in would have a bloody good core of players to work with after them winning the minor AI 3 years ago. What's going on with the u-20 academy, or is there one? Is it making the good young players bad?

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 14, 2015, 09:56:05 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 14, 2015, 09:47:56 PM

Indeed, you're right on the money with regards our underage and especially u-21 'structures'. Any word on who will be taking the vacancy? Whoever steps in would have a bloody good core of players to work with after them winning the minor AI 3 years ago. What's going on with the u-20 academy, or is there one? Is it making the good young players bad?

I think it's important to differentiate between the immediate with the senior team and the underage/development structures.

The board would love to muddy those waters. Different issues.

There is no guarantee that the best structures in the world would produce players like Keith Higgins, Parsons, Boyle, Keegan, AOS, Kevin MvLoughlin, COC. When you have those fellas around in their pomp at the same time you have to nail it. Different issues.