Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: larryin89 on June 06, 2015, 07:43:39 PM
What's the story with Cillian ?

One of the managers said he's coming along well should play at least 40-45 minutes possibly 70
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Farrandeelin

Meanwhile, Niall Heffernan has decided not to go forward as U-21 manager next year...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 10, 2015, 08:48:48 PM
Meanwhile, Niall Heffernan has decided not to go forward as U-21 manager next year...

Fair enough. Top fella.
It ll be interesting to see now how we can turn our act in this grade around - that's if it is worth bothering to do so?

I can t see a queue of people wanting to take this gig on.

Mayo4Sam14

Any idea of who the expected to play against Galway?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

rosnarun

Why was there a cup for a relegaton play off on sunday? is it the most meaningless cup ever
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Both Regan and Conroy were playing for clubs at the weekend. Might not excite many of ye but it's something.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2015, 01:01:50 AM

Both Regan and Conroy were playing for clubs at the weekend. Might not excite many of ye but it's something.

Good to hear. All needed!

macdanger2

Good to hear - would either be fit for a potential QF on 08th August? Or a potential SF on 30th Aug?

Farrandeelin

muppet

MWWSI 2017

moysider

moysider

So what do we do now. Yesterday was great to watch but coughing up 2-11 was loose even if a couple of frees were sympathetic.

No other team will give us that kind of space and cough up possession so soft. Other teams will take us again for crucial goals if we do that again. So what do we do?

I was happy the way we set up defensively and midfielders and a few forwards worked hard to get back but our last line are not dominating their men at all. No confidence or presence there imo. Apart from Zippy and he had his hands full yesterday.

It' s a bit late for system overhaul at this stage so do we just hope for the best with what we are at and hope we outscore teams?

Or do we drop the high pressing game, concede short kick-outs and drop off and protect our fb line, like most of the top teams do?

Or do we tweak the personnel. Bring in Barrett, Keane and move Keegan back into a marking job. Maybe use Keith as a sweeper?

Or is there something else that could be done?

Farrandeelin

I haven't a clue moy, we're dealing with the same old shite for over 10 years at this stage. I don't think for one minute that the management have a defensive plan 'under wraps'. You can hardly expect the players to just launch into a new defensive plan in August. I wasn't at all happy with the last line of defence yesterday, whether or not the personnel weren't good enough or not is another matter. Even when the Sligo full forward line ran at the full back line they caused problems. And a lot of 'huge ones in' as Ger Canning likes to put them were misjudged or scrambled to get out. That will be our undoing this year if we're not careful. Fair play to Clarkey, he pulled off two fantastic saves.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 20, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
I haven't a clue moy, we're dealing with the same old shite for over 10 years at this stage. I don't think for one minute that the management have a defensive plan 'under wraps'. You can hardly expect the players to just launch into a new defensive plan in August. I wasn't at all happy with the last line of defence yesterday, whether or not the personnel weren't good enough or not is another matter. Even when the Sligo full forward line ran at the full back line they caused problems. And a lot of 'huge ones in' as Ger Canning likes to put them were misjudged or scrambled to get out. That will be our undoing this year if we're not careful. Fair play to Clarkey, he pulled off two fantastic saves.

It's a personnel thing imo. The McGees and other top county defenders would have prevented that second goal in the same circumstances. There were plenty bodies there but we were lightweight. Do we hope these guys improve or do we change it and play a blanket? That would change our game considerably and would not be pretty.

From the Bunker

Like all of you. I am praying that H&C are hiding a defensive system that will be rolled out when needed. There is a chance that they have not needed to show their hand in Connacht. Keane was injured yesterday and he is one player who needs championship games even if they are against Sligo. Look, Kerry are in the same boat as us, but they have leaned to adapt to a defensive system when needed and did it well last year.