Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Who's in the academy? U21s / fringe players? Or younger?

moysider

Billy Mac and the other coaches will do a good job with whoever is sent up. But forever kid that is selected for this so-called Academy, another (who feels hard done by) quits the game forever. Kids don t tolerate that muck - they see right through it.  I ve probably mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again. A club that struggled to give kids game time with 2 U12 teams were ringing around to try and get an U16 team for championship. Several players quit when they were divided into the have and have -nots and in fairness did not go back. Nepotism has not gone away. Contrary and pushy parents still rule the roost. Some of the kids are just being hawked and others are turned off for good. Too many young lads with potential are quitting because they are rejected. Resources are lavished on others that are being pushed and most amount to little enough.

Chimley

We've always had problems with nepotism in Mayo football Moy. I remember that going back to my day and it certainly extended all the way to the county setup at all levels up to U21 at least.
I wondered if this was a unique thing to Mayo but it's not. I'm living here in Meath now and see the same oul shite at my local club where young kids get games only because their father or uncle (or grandfather in one case) played for the club over kids without any long affiliations. The club loses many talented youngsters to other sports (rugby is the big winner around here) because as you say, they see through this. If you lose youngsters at u14 or u16, you'll never get them back.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2015, 12:31:04 AM

Billy Mac and the other coaches will do a good job with whoever is sent up. But forever kid that is selected for this so-called Academy, another (who feels hard done by) quits the game forever. Kids don t tolerate that muck - they see right through it.  I ve probably mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again. A club that struggled to give kids game time with 2 U12 teams were ringing around to try and get an U16 team for championship. Several players quit when they were divided into the have and have -nots and in fairness did not go back. Nepotism has not gone away. Contrary and pushy parents still rule the roost. Some of the kids are just being hawked and others are turned off for good. Too many young lads with potential are quitting because they are rejected. Resources are lavished on others that are being pushed and most amount to little enough.
Ha, this was exactly how it played out for myself. Like to think I have natural enough athletic ability but remember not being arsed going at the way it panned out U-12/14 even though I was still mad about football.
Still remember being lined up,about 40 of us on the steps in front of the clubhouse..one coach just went a tapped a lad on the head and he went off with the "As" and the rest were left to pack into cars and head off to another match. No reason given and I distinctly remember the "As" being made up of 2 town league clubs at the time....while the other 3 town league teams made up the "B" team. No joke, if you're from Ballina...you won't find it hard to work out what I'm on about ::)

Champ15

Quote from: ballinaman on May 01, 2015, 10:02:31 AM

Ha, this was exactly how it played out for myself. Like to think I have natural enough athletic ability but remember not being arsed going at the way it panned out U-12/14 even though I was still mad about football.
Still remember being lined up,about 40 of us on the steps in front of the clubhouse..one coach just went a tapped a lad on the head and he went off with the "As" and the rest were left to pack into cars and head off to another match. No reason given and I distinctly remember the "As" being made up of 2 town league clubs at the time....while the other 3 town league teams made up the "B" team. No joke, if you're from Ballina...you won't find it hard to work out what I'm on about ::)

Quick guess would be Pat's & Fitzgerald's  ;)
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

ballinaman

Quote from: Champ15 on May 01, 2015, 10:19:35 AM

Incorrect!

Champ15

Quote from: ballinaman on May 01, 2015, 10:25:55 AM
Quote from: Champ15 on May 01, 2015, 10:19:35 AM

Incorrect!

That was the case at underage in my day. That and it being about who you were more than what you could do. To be fair that wasn't always the case we had a decent spread of players from all over the town league clubs for the most of part bar United where players from that area usually gave up around the the age of 16 or so
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

moysider

Regan had surgery to his shoulder/collar bone? Included a bone graft which sounds fairly serious?
I hear the surgeon happy with job - whatever that means?
Hopefully he ll get back playing again sometime.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on May 01, 2015, 02:35:58 PM
Regan had surgery to his shoulder/collar bone? Included a bone graft which sounds fairly serious?
Normal for a repeat fracture or non union, speeds up healing.
He'll be back, wouldn't bank on soon though.

Nihilist

Quote from: ballinaman on May 01, 2015, 03:13:02 PM

Have you ever heard a Surgeon admit they were unhappy with an operation they completed?

ballinaman

Quote from: Nihilist on May 01, 2015, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 01, 2015, 03:13:02 PM
Good point!
Have you ever heard a Surgeon admit they were unhappy with an operation they completed?

macdanger2

Hurlers relegated to the Lory Meagher over the weekend

Tubberman

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 24, 2015, 11:24:57 PM

Thought they have to play against one of lory Meagher teams in a final relegation playoff
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on May 24, 2015, 11:33:58 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 24, 2015, 11:24:57 PM

Thought they have to play against one of lory Meagher teams in a final relegation playoff

You could be right, I heard it described as a relegation play off so I assumed they were gone

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .