Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on April 15, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
without knowing him, as long as he does not stick his nose too deep into training camp. he should go. He is after all putting a ton of time into the job.

Not a defense but factual from a time standpoint.

He may be the nicest most capable man in Mayo. I have never met the guy and genuinely I know nothing about him.

However he was Chairman of the CB (I understand he absented himself from the meetings) when a member of that committee prematurely intervened in the process in favour of the former's brother. This caused uproar and looked shabby at best. Of course while they admitted things were 'clumsy', they blamed the media for blowing things all out of proportion.

Now I understand he is the liaison between the squad his brother is joint manager of, as a result of the aforementioned 'clumsy' process and the committee of which he is chairman, the same committee involved in that 'clumsy' process.

Now imagine if a serious problem develops between a player or players, or worse again the entire squad and the CB or even the joint managers. Who do they go to?

Conflict of interests everywhere!

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Just to put a link to where I read this: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21772:mayo-jet-out-to-portugal-for-training-camp&catid=14&Itemid=100008

....The team management of Noel Connelly, Pat Holmes and Micheál Collins, coach Donie Buckley, strength and conditioning coach Barry Solan, two physios and a kit-man are also in the travelling party, along with Mayo GAA Chairman, Mike Connelly, who also serves as the team's liasion officer with the County Board.....

This was the other comment:

....Connelly also paid tribute to the "absolutely unbelievable" support that the Mayo team had got at both their home and away matches during the spring.
"One of the biggest things that struck me about the league was the support the team got.
"We went to Kerry, Derry and Cork and we had more support at those games than the home teams. That says something about our supporters.
"It also goes to show just how popular and successful that the Croke Park Season Ticket and Cáirde Mhaigheo Season Ticket has been," he concluded
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2015, 03:45:55 PM
without knowing him, as long as he does not stick his nose too deep into training camp. he should go. He is after all putting a ton of time into the job.

He may be the nicest most capable man in Mayo. I have never met the guy and genuinely I know nothing about him.

However he was Chairman of the CB (I understand he absented himself from the meetings) when a member of that committee prematurely intervened in the process in favour of the former's brother. This caused uproar and looked shabby at best. Of course while they admitted things were 'clumsy', they blamed the media for blowing things all out of proportion.

Now I understand he is the liaison between the squad his brother is joint manager of, as a result of the aforementioned 'clumsy' process and the committee of which he is chairman, the same committee involved in that 'clumsy' process.

Now imagine if a serious problem develops between a player or players, or worse again the entire squad and the CB or even the joint managers. Who do they go to?

Did not think he was in the chair, when decision on Mcstay went down. If he was, then a complete conflict.
Incidentally I would have preferred had McStay got the job. Nothing I have seen since has changed my mind on that one.

Not living in the country, the other comment on the attendance has kind of gone over my head.
I was bothered about his poorly thought comments on the "academy".
Not good L/T planning in place it seems.

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on April 15, 2015, 05:51:20 PM

Did not think he was in the chair, when decision on Mcstay went down. If he was, then a complete conflict.
Incidentally I would have preferred had McStay got the job. Nothing I have seen since has changed my mind on that one.

Not living in the country, the other comment on the attendance has kind of gone over my head.

You may be right. Was he elected as a result of the previous man resigning over the controversy regarding the appointment process?

Here is the Mayo Gaa website dated 2013, which has him as Chairman, but I assume that it is wrong?

http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/18067/executive

EXECUTIVE   
Coiste Chontae Mhaigh Eo 2013

Executive Position                 Name                 contact details
Uachtaran                          Jim Fleming     patfleming@upcmail.ie 
Chairman                           Mike Connolly     mconnolly@corriboil.com
Vice Chairman                  Seamus Tuohy   seamus.tuohy@hse.ie
Secretary                          Vincent Neary       secretary.mayo@gaa.ie
Assisant Secretary             Dermot Butler   dermotjbutler@gmail.com
Treasurer                          J.P. Lambe        jplambefam@eircom.net
Assistant Treasurer            Ger McHugh       gerry.mchugh@mail.ie
Public Relations Officer    Aiden McLoughlin         pro.mayo@gaa.ie
Central Council Delegate           Séan MacHale            seanmaceil@eircom.net
Connacht Council Delegate        Paddy McNicholas           mcnicholas96@eircom.net
Connacht Council Delegate        Gerry Bourke             gerardbourke50@yahoo.com
Youth Officer                      Padraig Walsh     walsh_padraic@allergan.com
Cultural Officer             James Gibbons   neiphin@hotmail.com
Development Officer                Willie Kelly   k.chrissk@hotmail.com
Coaching Officer                   Padraic Carolan         padraic.carolan@hse.ie
Hurling Board Chairman             John Hopkins             hopkinsjohn0@gmail.com
East Board Chairman                Vincent Walsh             clgbordoirthearmaigheo@eircom.net
North Board Chairman               Padraig Staunton        stauntonmp@eircom.net
South Board Chairman              Ger McHugh    gerry.mchugh@mail.ie
West Board Chairman               Michael Moran          mmorancarsales@eircom.net
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Paddy McNicholas was Chairman last year when the whole fiasco was going on. The rest of them are up to date now I think. I don't agree with these training camps abroad, but each to their own. But I see in the Mayo News that he mentioned the players 'getting to know each other better'. What on Earth do they need to know each other better for? I thought they'd know each other well enough after the previous four years together. Maybe a bit away from the county will do them a bit of good. I hope they're not going to the training camp just for the sake of going to the training camp if the skills and plans aren't properly thought out. Believe you me, I'm not too happy with what I saw in a lot of the league games I've gone to. I don't think MacHale Park has it's advantage as a home ground for the league. Never thought it had either. That discussion is for another day I suppose.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2015, 05:58:49 PM
Quote from: joemamas on April 15, 2015, 05:51:20 PM

You may be right. Was he elected as a result of the previous man resigning over the controversy regarding the appointment process?

Here is the Mayo Gaa website dated 2013, which has him as Chairman, but I assume that it is wrong?

http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/18067/executive

EXECUTIVE   
Coiste Chontae Mhaigh Eo 2013

Executive Position                 Name                 contact details
Uachtaran                          Jim Fleming     patfleming@upcmail.ie 
Chairman                           Mike Connolly     mconnolly@corriboil.com
Vice Chairman                  Seamus Tuohy   seamus.tuohy@hse.ie
Secretary                          Vincent Neary       secretary.mayo@gaa.ie
Assisant Secretary             Dermot Butler   dermotjbutler@gmail.com
Treasurer                          J.P. Lambe        jplambefam@eircom.net
Assistant Treasurer            Ger McHugh       gerry.mchugh@mail.ie
Public Relations Officer    Aiden McLoughlin         pro.mayo@gaa.ie
Central Council Delegate           Séan MacHale            seanmaceil@eircom.net
Connacht Council Delegate        Paddy McNicholas           mcnicholas96@eircom.net
Connacht Council Delegate        Gerry Bourke             gerardbourke50@yahoo.com
Youth Officer                      Padraig Walsh     walsh_padraic@allergan.com
Cultural Officer             James Gibbons   neiphin@hotmail.com
Development Officer                Willie Kelly   k.chrissk@hotmail.com
Coaching Officer                   Padraic Carolan         padraic.carolan@hse.ie
Hurling Board Chairman             John Hopkins             hopkinsjohn0@gmail.com
East Board Chairman                Vincent Walsh             clgbordoirthearmaigheo@eircom.net
North Board Chairman               Padraig Staunton        stauntonmp@eircom.net
South Board Chairman              Ger McHugh    gerry.mchugh@mail.ie
West Board Chairman               Michael Moran          mmorancarsales@eircom.net

That looks like the board as it is now.

I don t think there was any question of Paddy resigning? He has served his time and shuffled into the House of Lords. Connolly defeated a challenge from Seán Feeney for Chairman? Connolly was Vice-Chairman when the current management was cobbled together.

moysider

Evan Regan broke the collar bone again last night in training.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Ahh man that's hard to believe, I'm sick to the pit of my stomach hearing that.

Had visions of him taking his opportunity by the scruff this year.

Get well soon Evan Regan.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on April 22, 2015, 07:21:34 PM

It's awful on the young lad. He is really unlucky. Mayo could do with a free scoring forward this year of all years. All we can do is wish him well. Will he be back again I wonder? Especially 2 breaks in a few months.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 22, 2015, 09:00:27 PM

It's awful on the young lad. He is really unlucky. Mayo could do with a free scoring forward this year of all years. All we can do is wish him well. Will he be back again I wonder? Especially 2 breaks in a few months.

From what ive heard he wont be in the reckoning at all this year.He was on the receiving end of a shoulder and thats what broke it again.You have to feel sorry for him he worked hard to get back and now this happens.Its a disaster for Mayo

macdanger2

Jaysus, that's tough going on him and a balls for Mayo

At least it's something that shouldn't come against him too badly in the future like say a repeat leg break or ACL would

MaigheoAbu

Quote from: mayoman dan on April 22, 2015, 10:20:32 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 22, 2015, 09:00:27 PM

From what ive heard he wont be in the reckoning at all this year.He was on the receiving end of a shoulder and thats what broke it again.You have to feel sorry for him he worked hard to get back and now this happens.Its a disaster for Mayo

Here's the full statement from Mayo Gaa about the injury Evan Regan sustainedhttp://www.mayogaa.com/news/358189/Statement_Re_Evan_Regan .
Very unfortunate for the lad to break his collarbone again. I was only chatting to him when he appeared at the Darkness Into Light Ballina launch for our committee & he said he was fully recovered & looking forward to the championship.
Unfortunately we won't get to see him tog out for Mayo Gaa during the Summer. All we can do now is wish him the best of luck & here's hoping he'll recover without any complications.

ballinaman

Terrible. Real kick in the teeth that one is..

I remember Ronaldson suffering a few collar bone breaks in a short space of time as a minor.

Farrandeelin

Interesting the article in the Mayo News about the Academy. It has only met players 12-14 times a year. You'd wonder what the benefit is if it's used sparingly. However Billy McNicholas reckons it's just teething problems and will adapt.