Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

K McLoughlin A Moran  J Doherty

M Conroy  A Freeman C O'Connor

If fit the above front six would be Mayos most likely line up for the championship IMO. Cathal Carolan; Darren Coen,Enda Varley and if he returns Evan Regan will have to perform very well in the league to earn a starting place. Alan Dillions best days are behind him IMO however with his experience hes a great sub to bring on.

Adam Gallagher 20 this year has plenty of time on his side.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 16, 2014, 09:12:37 PM

If fit the above front six would be Mayos most likely line up for the championship IMO. Cathal Carolan; Darren Coen,Enda Varley and if he returns Evan Regan will have to perform very well in the league to earn a starting place. Alan Dillions best days are behind him IMO however with his experience hes a great sub to bring on.

It ll certainly be interesting how the team develops this year. Especially the forwards.

It ll be interesting to see where Higgins will be played. The first league team will be interesting. When will Cillian O C be ready? Has Dillon got his injury sorted?

larryin89

Fair enough as in that's your opinion and that forward line would win Nestor but I don't think it will win us an all Ireland.

Mcgloughlin would have to find his 2012 form  and I'd question his metal for all Ireland final day.

Conroy is okay but  same aul Mayo type forward , running into no mans land on the big day, can't beat his man and pop it over. He would not feature in my plans , if he proves me wrong, great.

J. Docherty,  2012 championship he was ineffective , ridiculously low scoring and that's his job,despite what the airy fairy analysis says, 2013 showed improvement throughout the league but most of his scores came through frees, injured for championship .

A freeman, I just don't know with this man, he is a biteen yellow and  tends to pull back or close his eyes even. Good game v Tyrone and fairly decent championship , very unlucky to be subbed in the final in fairness. Overall, doesn't score enough though.Absolutely baffling how we could score 4-16 v Galway and he a big lad in at Ff get a single point of that tally.

People can keep saying the same thing over and over again , like " our scores come from all over, a lot from our half back line " etc etc and that's all grand but I am telling you it is factual , you will not win an all Ireland with this plan/ tactic/ethos.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on January 16, 2014, 09:37:39 PM

Fair enough as in that's your opinion and that forward line would win Nestor but I don't think it will win us an all Ireland.

Mcgloughlin would have to find his 2012 form  and I'd question his metal for all Ireland final day.

Conroy is okay but  same aul Mayo type forward , running into no mans land on the big day, can't beat his man and pop it over. He would not feature in my plans , if he proves me wrong, great.

J. Docherty,  2012 championship he was ineffective , ridiculously low scoring and that's his job,despite what the airy fairy analysis says, 2013 showed improvement throughout the league but most of his scores came through frees, injured for championship .

A freeman, I just don't know with this man, he is a biteen yellow and  tends to pull back or close his eyes even. Good game v Tyrone and fairly decent championship , very unlucky to be subbed in the final in fairness. Overall, doesn't score enough though.Absolutely baffling how we could score 4-16 v Galway and he a big lad in at Ff get a single point of that tally.

People can keep saying the same thing over and over again , like " our scores come from all over, a lot from our half back line " etc etc and that's all grand but I am telling you it is factual , you will not win an all Ireland with this plan/ tactic/ethos.

Harsh but honest. A lot of people would be thinking along the same lines.

As regards the 6 forwards, I think the 6 must be part of the big picture and how the team is set up to play. Like last year in AI final we did not have enough mobility in hf line, especially after Higgins sent back. And we did not have enough ball winners inside and as a result poor scoring threat.

One scenario could be;

Hennelly/Clarke

Cunniffe                  Cafferkey                    Barrett
Keegan                   Boyle                          Higgins
             O Sé                        O Sé
McLoughlin             O Connor                    Gallagher
Dillon                      Freeman                     Andy

This would be a fluid, running, passing game with scores coming from everywhere and O Connor in the playmaking quarterback role where he is brilliant imo. He will still fill his boots with scores because his support runs are so clever.

On the other hand you could go for a different type of set up, maybe more defensive and a big carrier at 11 and more direct ball inside.

Hennelly/Clarke
Cuniffe                         Cafferkey                 Barrett
Keegan                        Boyle                       Burke (if he's still involved)/McLoughlin
               Moran                        O Sé
Feeney                        O Se                        Higgins
                                   O Connor
            Freeman                            Andy

I think there is a case for either selection and they are only 2 I came up with.
Looking forward to see how it all shapes up.

mayoman dan

Personally id like to see this team giving a go at some stage

Clarke

Barrett               Caff               Cunniffe

Keegan              Higgins          Boyle

Vaughan        Seamus

McLoughlin           AOS             Feeney

Regan                Andy              Cillian

I know Regan is unlikely to be involved but i just think he has that x factor that were crying out for a give me the f**king ball type of forward

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 16, 2014, 10:28:23 PM
Personally id like to see this team giving a go at some stage

Clarke

Barrett               Caff               Cunniffe

Keegan              Higgins          Boyle

Vaughan        Seamus

McLoughlin           AOS             Feeney

Regan                Andy              Cillian

I know Regan is unlikely to be involved but i just think he has that x factor that were crying out for a give me the f**king ball type of forward

I wouldn t mind that team either but it s very unlikely Regan will be involved this year. But he s still only 20 and has time on his side if he remains fit.
Dropping him last year was a mistake imo. He was flying at the time and scoring goals for fun and could have been the joker in the pack in later stages. He d a have been an unknown quantity for likes of Tyrone and Dublin. There would be very little video or analysis of him and we all know what happened when Clare threw in a young lad in the Hurling AI replay.

mayoman dan

IMO Varley and Doherty just dont cut it for the latter stages of the all ireland series and although Conroy is a good player he has a habit of running up blind alleys and his shot selection is poor.Conroy would be a very good sub to bring on for 20 minutes though he has a good work rate and is well able to win his own ball i just dont think any of the 3 named lads should be starting on a team that has ambitions of winning sam.

Blowitupref

Depending on how the league goes Horan could choose Higgins,Keegan in the forward line and to accommodate Barry Moran into the side the AOS forward experiment might be tried again.

From what i see Horan isn't big for change as this 2011 team shows. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2011/0819/283719-mayo/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 16, 2014, 10:50:06 PM
IMO Varley and Doherty just dont cut it for the latter stages of the all ireland series and although Conroy is a good player he has a habit of running up blind alleys and his shot selection is poor.Conroy would be a very good sub to bring on for 20 minutes though he has a good work rate and is well able to win his own ball i just dont think any of the 3 named lads should be starting on a team that has ambitions of winning sam.

The thing about Doherty is that he was injured last year and year before he was played in a deeper role in championship, which in my opinion did not convince. But at the same time he didn t do badly either. But I see him as an inside forward. His early spring form was very good and was a big reason DIT won Sigerson and Doherty was a shoe-in for the 3rd level Team of The Year. That s not bad going. The player has quality and I d give him a bit of slack and see if coaches can use him. He s scored at all levels for us but playing him in the hf line is probably not a good idea imo.

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 16, 2014, 11:16:37 PM
Depending on how the league goes Horan could choose Higgins,Keegan in the forward line and to accommodate Barry Moran into the side the AOS forward experiment might be tried again.

From what i see Horan isn't big for change as this 2011 team shows. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2011/0819/283719-mayo/

It s a strength a weakness.

If he puts Keegan into forwards forget about it. Did Kerry ever move Tomás O Sé from 5 when it mattered? He had such an influence from 5. And he destroyed likes of Kerrigan by turning tables and putting forward on the back foot.
I think Keegan would be a proper 6 but when he is so good at 5 you don t mess about. This is not like Higgins. Higgins was wasted at 4 while Keegan is very effective from 5.

mayoman dan

According to the Mayo Gaa facebook page Tom Parsons is starting at midfield for Mayo against the sheep shaggers on Sunday.Hopefully Tom will put in a good performance he has huge talent but his attitude was questionable i hope the few years out in the cold will have matured him

macdanger2

Great to see Parsons back, I remember himself & SOS cleaning out the Kerry midfield at U21 in a game we narrowly lost. It was only when Tommy Walsh came out to mf that they gained a foothold. Hope he can fulfil some of that potential.

Any other notable starters??

Farr, any idea how killer is getting on since his freak injury v castlebar?

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 17, 2014, 11:49:14 PM
Great to see Parsons back, I remember himself & SOS cleaning out the Kerry midfield at U21 in a game we narrowly lost. It was only when Tommy Walsh came out to mf that they gained a foothold. Hope he can fulfil some of that potential.

Any other notable starters??

Farr, any idea how killer is getting on since his freak injury v castlebar?

+1. One of the best quality players in county over the years. Previous poster went on about maturity but what s that about?

We ve been doin ok as regards talented bigger men  coming through - the little lads always seem to do so. The bigger lads not so much, but the O Sés and Barry Moran have come through. Tom Parsons was pushing Pierce Hanley as regards being a an exceptional talent. I d love to see him realise his potential. Boyle managed to rise above his first experience as a senior and came back a top player. Hopefully Parsons can do likewise - and I hope he s given a bit of time.

moysider

The team to to play in Ballinlough is-

1) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2) Kevin Keane - Westport
3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4) Colm Boyle - Davitts
5) Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
6) Shane McHale - Knockmore
7) David Drake - Ballaghaderreen
8) Tom Parsons - Charlestown Sarsfields
9) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10) Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
11) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
12) Adam Gallagher - Mayo Gaels
13) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
15) Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

16) Brendan Walsh - Ballintubber
17) Keith Rogers - Ballaghaderreen
18) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
19) Brian Gallagher - Claremorris
20) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
21) Michael Conroy - Davitts
22) Enda Varley - Garrymore
23) Lee Keegan - Westport
24) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
25) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis

Like that a bit. Might go. I was supposed to do a 5K but I ve coughed up most of my lungs with a cough I got a few days ago, and this might be less painful. I love seeing that tree growing in the stand in Ballinlough.

macdanger2

Interesting line up, v experienced spine with the exception of McHale and a good few younger lads