Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 15, 2014, 08:23:28 PM
Horan needs to swallow his pride and give Regan a fair chance.As this is probably Horans last year he needs to get our best players on the pitch and IMO that includes Regan and Feeney.

Horan did invite him back a couple of months ago but it appears the player doesn't fancy it now with current management after what happened last summer.

mayoman dan

Thats an awful shame Moysider but its hard to blame the lad.

macdanger2

Hopefully horan will ask him again and hopefully he will come on board, he'll win nothing by sulking.

I don't think people should be building this guy up too much though, he's young and needs to be given time.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 15, 2014, 10:56:44 PM
Hopefully horan will ask him again and hopefully he will come on board, he'll win nothing by sulking.

I don't think people should be building this guy up too much though, he's young and needs to be given time.

That's true to an extent but more successful counties than us are not shy putting in 19 yr olds when they are up to it. Look at Dublin this year with McCaffrey and Mannion.

Though in the past we had no problem playing Hanley or Conor Mort when they were 19. The Regan decision was just a poor call, that s all. Play lads when they are ready. No guarantee they get better with age. One bad injury can finish things fast enough.

macdanger2

Yeah, I agree that the manager should have no problem playing young lads but supporters should give him a chance if he comes in and plays poorly in a couple of games or something and start writing him off as useless

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 15, 2014, 11:51:28 PM
Yeah, I agree that the manager should have no problem playing young lads but supporters should give him a chance if he comes in and plays poorly in a couple of games or something and start writing him off as useless

What I ve seen of this lad ( and I ve seen a lot), he s the type that plays better as the standard goes up and he s got better players around. Able to win ball, see a pass and finish. And makes the right runs at the right time which some of last year's panel could not do.

Forget about supporters - they ll always hate a Ballinaman/townies anyway. I d be more worried about a manager's judgement.

macdanger2

Hope he's as good as you say he is and that he comes on board, horan won't spend all year asking him and who knows what the squad will look like next year

larryin89

10. Adam Gallagher.

11. Keith Higgans.

12. Lee Keegan . ( plenty of options to fill his regular spot, proved in AI final he can go and score on the big day)

13. Evan Regan.

14. COC.

15. Andy Moran

That's the six I'd like to see play up front, mcgloughlin and feeney to come on everytime too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Tubberman

Are people in danger of treating Evan Regan as the next great big hope being ignored by management? We tend to latch on these players and think they are the solution to our problems. 
What has he done to warrant inclusion in your starting 15 Larry? He played a couple of league games last year, showed a few flashes of what he can do, but certainly wasn't outstanding. From the outside looking in, I'd agree he should have been given more opportunities. But do we know how he was performing in training, what his attitude and workrate were like?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Crete Boom

Quote from: Tubberman on January 16, 2014, 09:01:32 AM
Are people in danger of treating Evan Regan as the next great big hope being ignored by management? We tend to latch on these players and think they are the solution to our problems. 
What has he done to warrant inclusion in your starting 15 Larry? He played a couple of league games last year, showed a few flashes of what he can do, but certainly wasn't outstanding. From the outside looking in, I'd agree he should have been given more opportunities. But do we know how he was performing in training, what his attitude and workrate were like?

Injuries specifically a recurring knee injury hampered his progress over the last two years but importantly Horan kept him involved with the squad and had he been injury free he would definitely had more chances in the first team. He was pissed off at the timing and reason for being cut from the panel last year but Horan did invite him back this year ( Evan declined) so I don't think Horan has excluded him outright (like happened with previous managers). He must still rate him if he asked him back on the panel.

I think it might be better anyway if Evan is left with the U21's for the moment and if he keeps shooting the lights out ( I think he will) he will probably be back on the panel anyway. He has been involved for the last two years so he won't be coming in cold and if he is fit and on form he will be a way better option than say Varley or Conroy for one simple reason , he is a natural super confident scorer and won't solo around or look to lay of the ball when the ball is there to be put over the bar to win the game. Sadly this is something that the last two years have shown is lacking in Conroy and Varley despite their brilliant work and team ethic!

I have confidence in both Evan's ability and desire to be back challenging in the panel and Horan's judgment that a fully fit Evan Regan will be of  use to him.

Mayo4Sam

It does ring of Enda Deveney and Pat Harte, ye Ballina lads are always making up heros  ;)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Crete Boom

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 16, 2014, 10:32:47 AM
It does ring of Enda Deveney and Pat Harte, ye Ballina lads are always making up heros  ;)

I raise you Staunton and Butler during the Maughan empire ::)

larryin89

The way i look at it tubberman is simple enough,we need to improve our forward play to progress from last year.

Dillon, Varley, Conroy and Doc. Id drop two out of that four and add in evan regan and adam gallagher.

Both young, confident, can kick scores and have been good at underage.

I felt regan didnt get enough time in the league last year, we have to give lads time to settle into the team, pretty sure it was only Kildare game he started .

There comes a time when you have to throw new blood in and i feel now is the time, its hardly wholesale change either to suggest two lads who are 20 and 21 (i think)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

I don't know much about Evan Reagan one way or the other but if reports are true, he got a raw deal when he was dropped last year and I wouldn't blame him one bit for feeling sore about it.
If Horan decided to drop him for any reason, he was entitled to do so.  I'd have no problem with that but the least the lad deserved was to be told this by the manager himself.
I've always had great respect for JH but if he left it to the CB to shaft the player, he's let himself down badly.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: larryin89 on January 16, 2014, 12:16:14 PM
The way i look at it tubberman is simple enough,we need to improve our forward play to progress from last year.

Dillon, Varley, Conroy and Doc. Id drop two out of that four and add in evan regan and adam gallagher.

Both young, confident, can kick scores and have been good at underage.

I felt regan didnt get enough time in the league last year, we have to give lads time to settle into the team, pretty sure it was only Kildare game he started .

There comes a time when you have to throw new blood in and i feel now is the time, its hardly wholesale change either to suggest two lads who are 20 and 21 (i think)

That's fair enough, I'd like to see Regan and Gallagher (and several others) given a chance. I misread your post above - I thought you were saying that was your choice for Championship forward lines. It would certainly be far too early to be naming them as championship starters but for FBD and a couple of league games to bed them in, that makes sense.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."