Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Must be 3 or 4 years since I looked into the Roscommon thread

Syferus

Quote from: stephenite on January 03, 2014, 07:20:09 AM

There isn't one.

Ballyhaunis is the second-nearest town to my home and I know plenty of the people who would be directly effected if Keith jumped ship so excuse me for having an opinion on the topic. Given your name it's quite likely I'm closer to this situation than you are so it makes me wonder what, if anything, your point is besides distracting from you brushing the hypocrisy and harm something like this would cause because Keith is a good player and has put in the 'hours'.

If Ger Cafferkey got a job in Castlebar and switched to Mitchels I wonder how Stephenites would react?

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 03, 2014, 06:17:49 PM

There isn't one.

Ballyhaunis is the second-nearest town to my home and I know plenty of the people who would be directly effected if Keith jumped ship so excuse me for having an opinion on the topic. Given your name it's quite likely I'm closer to this situation than you are so it makes me wonder what, if anything, your point is besides distracting from you brushing the hypocrisy and harm something like this would cause because Keith is a good player and has put in the 'hours'.

If Ger Cafferkey got a job in Castlebar and switched to Mitchels I wonder how Stephenites would react?

Relax. It s still only a rumour. Might never happen but if it does good luck to him. He wouldn t be the first player to move to a bigger club. Pat Holmes to Castlebar and Paul McGarry to Ballina. No big deal.

Tubberman

There isn't one.

Isn't your hero Shane Curran from Castlerea??
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2014, 08:48:05 PM

There isn't one.

And? Is Keith moving house? Is it a 'cup of tae' job like Seanie J? There wasn't huge question marks over Cake's motives when he moved to Brigid's.

Fact is Higgins was working in Castlerea for years and suddenly his job is moved a few miles the opposite side of Ballyhaunis and he has cause to move clubs, to one that just so happens to be going places?

If you want examples of Roscommon players moving between smaller clubs and bigger ones I could give you them and I can tell you I was just as disappointed in those players as I would be if Higgins does the same. This has nothing to do with counties so cut out the sneering tone. Just because something has happened before doesn't mean it should be accepted when it happens again, that just normalises behaviour that's harmful to the ethos of the GAA.

Dress it in a frilly dress if you want; we all know the score.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2014, 10:25:55 PM

There isn't one.

And? Is Keith moving house? Is it a 'cup of tae' job like Seanie J? There wasn't huge question marks over Cake's motives when he moved to Brigid's.

Fact is he was working in Castlerea for years and suddenly he moves a few miles the opposite side of Ballyhaunis and he has cause to move clubs, to one that just so happens to be going places?

If you want examples of Roscommon players moving between smaller clubs and bigger ones I could give you them and I can tell you I was just as disappointed in those players as I would be if Higgins does the same. This has nothing to do with counties so cut out the sneering tone.

Jesus, you're easily vexed. I'm not going to get into an argument with a Rossie about a rumour in Mayo club football. If it's confirmed, we can take it up then.

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2014, 10:29:18 PM

There isn't one.

Fact is he was working in Castlerea for years and suddenly he moves a few miles the opposite side of Ballyhaunis and he has cause to move clubs, to one that just so happens to be going places?

If you want examples of Roscommon players moving between smaller clubs and bigger ones I could give you them and I can tell you I was just as disappointed in those players as I would be if Higgins does the same. This has nothing to do with counties so cut out the sneering tone.

Jesus, you're easily vexed. I'm not going to get into an argument with a Rossie about a rumour in Mayo club football. If it's confirmed, we can take it up then.

That's cute when you're the one throwing out the remarks. Don't get involved if you don't want a response.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2014, 10:31:46 PM

There isn't one.

That's cute when you're the one throwing out the remarks. Don't get involved if you don't want a response.

I just don't see why you're getting so worked up about a rumoured club transfer in another county. I wouldn't be making judgements until it's clarified one way or the other.

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2014, 10:37:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2014, 10:31:46 PM

There isn't one.

I just don't see why you're getting so worked up about a rumoured club transfer in another county. I wouldn't be making judgements until it's clarified one way or the other.

Worked up? ???

You've a strange idea of what being worked up is. That attitude is more a smokescreen to addressing the issues that have been brought up, Higgins transfer or no Higgins transfer. It's playing the man instead of the ball.

The answer to your question is bolded. Just because there's an imaginary line between two houses doesn't mean people don't know each other. How being from one county or another matters in a situation like this is beyond me.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lads if Higgins wishes to transfer I'm not sure why it is such an issue. Perhaps he had considered moving clubs before due to work before but chooses to do it now with Mayo county football becoming more and more a livestyle commitment, there may be other personal changes and yes the fact that Castlebar are on the up might just be the sauce on the goose. Sure isn't this the norm for Nemo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

larryin89

Ballagh,Kilmovee shamrocks and now Ballyhaunis.

I'm telling you Syferus , you are a closet Mayo man and I am not joking there are dozens of you Rossies like that.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 04, 2014, 11:40:58 PM
Lads if Higgins wishes to transfer I'm not sure why it is such an issue. Perhaps he had considered moving clubs before due to work before but chooses to do it now with Mayo county football becoming more and more a livestyle commitment, there may be other personal changes and yes the fact that Castlebar are on the up might just be the sauce on the goose. Sure isn't this the norm for Nemo.
As I know nowt about his reasons for switching clubs, I won't give my tuppence worth one way or the other.
If players are given greater freedom to select the clubs/counties they choose to play for, the GAA, as we know it, would run into serious trouble- a bit like the Scottish premier league where a handful of clubs win all that's on offer and the rest can go suck the hind tit.
But under the present system, many players never get the rewards their talents deserve.
Emlyn Mulligan isn't going to win a provincial medal, yet if he wanted to move from Leitrim for any reason, he'd get a place on any team in the land. (IMO, anyway.)
For all I know, he is happy where he is but others with a lot less talent have AI medals to their names.
I can think o dozens of others like him who, because of where they were born, never have nor ever will have anything but injuries and hard luck stories  when they hang up their boots.
I dunno. You can't change the present system  alright but it's not a fair and equitable one  either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/experimental-mayo-team-named-for-fbd-game-with-nuig-29905070.html

Mayo team to play N.U.I.G:  Robert Hennelly (captain), Keith Rogers, Kevin Keane, Eoghan Reilly; Brendan Harrison, Shane McHale, David Drake; Jason Gibbons , John Reilly; Adam Gallagher , Cathal Freeman, Diarmuid O'Connor; Tom King , Darren Coen , Mickey Sweeney – Kiltane.

Replacements: Colm Boyle, Stephen Coen, Brian Gallagher, Cathal Carolan, Michael Conroy, Sean Kelly, Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Enda Varley, Andy Moran, Lee Keegan.

Happy to see the new lads getting a run. I think Andy Moran and Jason Doherty having missed most of last year will hopefully see plenty of early season action. Adam Gallagher is an interesting one to watch while hopefully Tom King & can bring his club form to his county debut.
MWWSI 2017

REDCOL

Poor Fare Last Night. Of the Newcomers Harrison and Gallagher stood out in the First Half. Kevin Keane had a good second half, Drake very fast but use of ball needs a bit of work. Darren Coen needs a lot of work on shot selection / bringing others into the game. Brian Gallagher looked lively last 15mins. Rest of the newcomers made little impact but first day out give them a chance I suppose. Interesting that Peter Burkes position seems to be elevated this year. He was runner and seemed to be calling a lot of the shots along with Horan. Looks like he will be new selector.

mayoman dan

Horan needs to swallow his pride and give Regan a fair chance.As this is probably Horans last year he needs to get our best players on the pitch and IMO that includes Regan and Feeney.