Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Thanks for the advice Muppet im new to all this i was just passing on what i had heard in future i wont name any names because money is something im in short supply of

stephenite

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 29, 2013, 01:38:38 AM
Thanks for the advice Muppet im new to all this i was just passing on what i had heard in future i wont name any names because money is something im in short supply of

I'll back ya, now out with the truth

bucko

Would find it very hard to believe any inter county player in the modern era would go drinking in the run up to an AIF. I had heard of a bit of a row had between the pair but initially dismissed it as the usual, pre big match rumour stuff. However could it be an explanation for the apparently poor decision making by the sideline in relation to positional switches/ substitutions???

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 29, 2013, 12:59:25 AM
Would you like Horan to stay on Farrandeelin?

I want to remember Horan for the right reasons, but for some circumstances, I just can't. If ya know what I mean. I mean it's all good and well in getting to 2 AIFs in a row, but it's a hoor to lose them, but I mean whatever about the matchups in 2012, the rumours that are circulating around all week are unbelievable if true about last Sunday. I'll wait for facts though before I 'hang' management. I heard from a good source that Freeman wasn't 'sick' at all and that his parents were disgusted when he was taken off. Seems they weren't the only people who couldn't understand the decision.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

In my line of work (and i work in Mayo and meet lots of people) you hear all kinds of sh1te! And the amount of sh1te I heard in the past week would wreck any head. My disgust/disappointment at losing another final is only surpassed by the blame game. The most thing I have come to hate about Mayo football ever since 1996 is we always look for someone to blame. Each final we have a culprit, a fall guy. Anyway, I won't be relaying what I heard, especially under a pseudo name on a Gaa forum. What ever happened is the business of the players and management. In the end they live and die by the sword, we are merely spectators. I hope it is all horse manure and the likelihood is that most of it is. Just us Mayo people looking  once again for something to blame.

As Adolf Hitler once said The greater the lie, the greater the chance that it will be believed. 

mayoman dan

I think Horan will stay for another year and best of luck to him if he does on reflection i think hes earned it.But one has to ask the question has he alienated certain players with his actions in the final eg Freeman and Feeney? I dont think Evan Regan will be to keen to play for him either.Im not looking for a culprit in Horan but as the manager the buck stops with him and in my view he made some very poor decisions during the final.I couldnt care less if the players and management had an arguement. James should have got our best players on the pitch to give us the best chance of winning the match

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2013, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 29, 2013, 12:59:25 AM
Would you like Horan to stay on Farrandeelin?

I want to remember Horan for the right reasons, but for some circumstances, I just can't. If ya know what I mean. I mean it's all good and well in getting to 2 AIFs in a row, but it's a hoor to lose them, but I mean whatever about the matchups in 2012, the rumours that are circulating around all week are unbelievable if true about last Sunday. I'll wait for facts though before I 'hang' management. I heard from a good source that Freeman wasn't 'sick' at all and that his parents were disgusted when he was taken off. Seems they weren't the only people who couldn't understand the decision.

That's gas Farr, I heard the two of them had a stand up row in coke because Freeman said he was too sick to play and Horan said he had to. I told the fella who told me it sounded like nonsense.
There's all kinda shite being told and believed
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

I'm glad I'm in Dublin away from all the shite talk.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

If we had won, there wouldn't be a single mention of any of this shite!! I hope Horan stays, he has transformed Mayo football and the players attitude....... reading through some of the players name been mentioned for re-inclusion in the Mayo team of 2014, they all have been tried and re-tried and for what ever reasons have not made the grade, its time we took a leaf out Davy Fitz's book, look to the youngsters, no baggage and they have the freedom of youth...look at O Donnell in the hurling final or Walter Walsh last year for the cats.

Would any Mayo manager we have had over the past 30 years made a ballsy move as Cody of Davy did in the replays of 2012 and 2013.
The youth is where it is at, not lads who were tried and tested, didn't make it and are now been mentioned as a solution to some of our problems....

Keep looking forward!

moysider

Whether we like it of not things have got a bit messy and that shite is out there and not only among the fair weather fans.

I think that it is Horan s job if he wishes to continue, and I d be happy enough if he chooses to do so. I fear however that it will be very difficult for him to instill the same conviction and belief that we saw in the squad this year. Without that, an AI win would be out of the question. If indeed there has been tactical errors and questionable selections and substitutions nobody would be more aware of these than the players and doubts may well have taken root in some players minds already. One player after the game was asked if they would come back and win it next year and replied ' we could - if Horan picks the right team'

We don t know what the county board wants either. Expertise like Buckley and Ed Coughlan don t come cheap either and the board may wish to downsize. If pressure is put on Horan to trim his backroom team will he walk?

Trouble is if Horan goes we could be back to the bad old days of Johnno, Jim Kielty or Pateen Holmes fairly lively. Those hoping for Horan to quit should be careful what they hope for.

mayoman dan

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 30, 2013, 01:42:07 PM
If we had won, there wouldn't be a single mention of any of this shite!! I hope Horan stays, he has transformed Mayo football and the players attitude....... reading through some of the players name been mentioned for re-inclusion in the Mayo team of 2014, they all have been tried and re-tried and for what ever reasons have not made the grade, its time we took a leaf out Davy Fitz's book, look to the youngsters, no baggage and they have the freedom of youth...look at O Donnell in the hurling final or Walter Walsh last year for the cats.

Would any Mayo manager we have had over the past 30 years made a ballsy move as Cody of Davy did in the replays of 2012 and 2013.
The youth is where it is at, not lads who were tried and tested, didn't make it and are now been mentioned as a solution to some of our problems....

Keep looking forward!

Maybe some of them didnt make the grade because of the management or lack of it under JOM.Colm Boyle is the perfect example of this.What harm would it do to give Kilcoyne a chance and see what he can do especially under Horan who as u rightly say has transformed Mayo football and the players attitude.Its not like were blessed with free scoring forwards

bucko

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 30, 2013, 09:30:52 PM

Keep looking forward!

Maybe some of them didnt make the grade because of the management or lack of it under JOM.Colm Boyle is the perfect example of this.What harm would it do to give Kilcoyne a chance and see what he can do especially under Horan who as u rightly say has transformed Mayo football and the players attitude.Its not like were blessed with free scoring forwards
Kilcoyne lives and works in London. I would say the demands of travelling back at the weekends for club football are tough enough. How can he be realistically be an option for the county?

mayoman dan

Kilcoyne lives and works in London. I would say the demands of travelling back at the weekends for club football are tough enough. How can he be realistically be an option for the county?
[/quote]

I heard he was back living and working in Dublin.Did Coen really score 4-9 at the weekend? Serious stuff if he did.

bucko

Asked Farr yesterday and was told he was still was over the water.

moysider

Quote from: bucko on September 30, 2013, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 30, 2013, 09:30:52 PM

Keep looking forward!

He cant be unless he get s back. If I remember correctly Kilcoyne was cut by Horan before he went anywhere? And Parson was cut in Horan s first Spring?

When young O Connell was banging in those goals for Clare I was thinking that this was something that would never happen in Mayo. Untried, untrusted etc. We had a chance to take a chance with Evan Regan this summer but instead he spent the summer in US. He was flying before he left and he could have given us something different. We also ended up not trusting our squad defenders in the final