Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Bod Mor on June 14, 2007, 02:28:26 AM

Andy Moran scored 2-1 at the weekend for Ballagh, can anybody confirm whether he plays half forward or full forward for his club? Barry Regan has also been chipping in with a good few scores but I don't think he's on the senior panel anymore, can anyone confirm?

Damian Munnelly for Knockmore has been popping up with a lot of scores for Knockmore but as JOM has decided on his squad for this years championship. What do the Knockmore lads here think of Munnelly? I know he was on the squad a couple of years ago but never mads the cut.

Andy would always have been considered a half-forward when he was younger but he is playing FF the last couple of years and certainly at club level is a class act in that position. Barry Regan was one of the lads let go from the panel before the Galway game I believe, playing well for the club but I doubt we'll see him back in this year.
I'm not  big fan of Munnellys to be honest, been looking at him for years playing underage and for me he hasn't convinced. He's an absolute flyer but when the heat is on he seems to go missing and his finishing isn't what you would need at senior inter-county level. Like it or not I think we have the best forwards in the county currently in the squad.
As for Austin, it's hard to know with him. To use a Kevin McStay quote, he doesn't look a first cousin of an inter-county footballer alot of the time but then you think back to days against Kerry in '05 and the roasting he gave Marc O' Se and you'd have to think there is a role for him. He really is one of those players that has split the opinions of Mayo fans, he seems to be either adored or not rated at all, I think there are days for him though and if he's back in decent form and has shaken off (yet another) injury it has to be good news.

Barney

QuoteWell how did he score 5 points from play if he is not good enough, against kerry in the championship?

How come he has done nothing else in championship football?

2 or 3 of the points were very late in the day when Kerry were cruising home.

Yes, they were good scores and he had a good game but there is no fear of home catching clean ball, turning and putting the ball over the bar. That is what is needed.

rosnarun

not to say I told you so  but saying it any way .and to think of the abuse I got for making the same points 2 /3 years ago .
For Austin to be effective the whole game plan would have to revolve aroud handing him the ball somewhere close to goal and let him take pot shots. I think the reason he did so well against kerry was they didnt believe any county player could be so slow .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Msgr. Horan

The panel is 26 there are four open places for anyone outside of that who impresses.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on June 14, 2007, 10:37:47 AM
not to say I told you so  but saying it any way .and to think of the abuse I got for making the same points 2 /3 years ago .
For Austin to be effective the whole game plan would have to revolve aroud handing him the ball somewhere close to goal and let him take pot shots. I think the reason he did so well against kerry was they didnt believe any county player could be so slow .

If he was full & Ciaran Mac played corner but close in he could hold the ball up long enough for Austin to score a rake of goals  ;)

Barney

QuoteIf he was full & Ciaran Mac played corner but close in he could hold the ball up long enough for Austin to score a rake of goals 

Ahh...no

rosnarun

the folk at the church of AOM dont give up that easy.
Lets us pray AOM ,AOM ,AOM ,AOM

dodo

When you see Ger Brady against Galway running out of the square faster than the ball is coming in over his head you realise that he is not the answer. Little Conor is left inside contesting the high one with two defenders  :-[ .
I am a worshipper of the church of AOM. Scored his 5 points in a loose QE against Kerry in 2005. Been injured or suffering from niggly injuries for much of championship time since.

Quote from: rosnarun on June 14, 2007, 10:37:47 AM
I think the reason he did so well against kerry was they didnt believe any county player could be so slow .

There is hope for me still at county level............being deceptively slow is now a hidden weapon  :D.

rosnarun

Slow to the point of static.
does this means any further running down Of AOM will leave me open to charges of discrimination

dodo

Quote from: rosnarun on June 15, 2007, 12:12:09 PM
Slow to the point of static.
does this means any further running down Of AOM will leave me open to charges of discrimination

Not sure of discrimination but surely guilty of blasphemy  :P

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Barney on June 15, 2007, 08:02:50 AM
QuoteIf he was full & Ciaran Mac played corner but close in he could hold the ball up long enough for Austin to score a rake of goals 

Ahh...no

I think my other user name might be St.Jude  ;)

mannix

to be fair to austin omalley, he did score 5 from play that day.Injuries have hampered him but he is nearly ready and has the strenght and accuracy to win a ball and  score in the fullforward spot.He is one of the physically stronger lads playing for mayo now and should be used for that asset along with the fact that he can score and you all know he can.
I would prefer him at ff and lob a few few in on him to see the outcome, if he was given room(isolated) i am certain he would do damage to a big defender.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: mannix on June 15, 2007, 05:55:13 PM
to be fair to austin omalley, he did score 5 from play that day.Injuries have hampered him but he is nearly ready and has the strenght and accuracy to win a ball and  score in the fullforward spot.He is one of the physically stronger lads playing for mayo now and should be used for that asset along with the fact that he can score and you all know he can.
I would prefer him at ff and lob a few few in on him to see the outcome, if he was given room(isolated) i am certain he would do damage to a big defender.
I was always a fan of Austin until the league game against Dublin in Castlebar.He looked all over the place,coludn't catch a cold and was so far off the pace.I'm afraid Austin is not the answer to our prayers unfortunately.

mannix

Still, i believe he will be important,a gut feeling.

RoryG

Maughan said in his Mayo Advertiser column that Trevor Mort and Ger Brady played in the half back line against Cavan. Didn't Brady play there at underage?
As Maughan said, there's no doubt Trevor is strong enough for half back, but can he defend? We have enough backs who can attack!
Barry Moran played midfield with Heaney and Tom Cunniffe got a run the 2nd half.

Apparently they're playing Laois this weekend in another challenge. Anyone know when/where this is on?