Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Surprised this hasn't been discussed, but James Horan has lost two of his backroom team for 2012. Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan have stepped aside. Willie Joe's Blog has this report.

This report in the Mayo News provides confirmation on the departure from James Horan's management team of both Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan who apparently announced that they were leaving last Friday when the senior management team met to carry out an end-of-season review. In Mike Finnerty's report Martin cited the onerous time commitment involved and he said that he couldn't put this kind of time in again next year. But then he went to make this rather cryptic remark:

Having been involved with teams as a player, a coach, and a manager, and through my work as a coaching tutor, and tutor trainer, I would have been used to being centrally involved in all aspects of how a team is prepared and how everything works. It's difficult then when you go into a role where you put in a huge amount of time but you don't have the same input in terms of decision-making.

From the sounds of that, it would appear that the amount of time the role was taking up may not have been the sole reason why Martin decided to step down.

It's a pity the lads are leaving after what was a good first year in the saddle for the management team as a whole. Their departure does, however, mean that James will now be able to freshen things up a bit on the sideline, even if the opportunity for him to do so is an enforced one.  Nonetheless it'll still be interesting to see what additions he makes to his backroom team in light of this development.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

nephinman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 16, 2011, 10:23:29 PM
Surprised this hasn't been discussed, but James Horan has lost two of his backroom team for 2012. Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan have stepped aside. Willie Joe's Blog has this report.

This report in the Mayo News provides confirmation on the departure from James Horan's management team of both Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan who apparently announced that they were leaving last Friday when the senior management team met to carry out an end-of-season review. In Mike Finnerty's report Martin cited the onerous time commitment involved and he said that he couldn't put this kind of time in again next year. But then he went to make this rather cryptic remark:

Having been involved with teams as a player, a coach, and a manager, and through my work as a coaching tutor, and tutor trainer, I would have been used to being centrally involved in all aspects of how a team is prepared and how everything works. It's difficult then when you go into a role where you put in a huge amount of time but you don't have the same input in terms of decision-making.

From the sounds of that, it would appear that the amount of time the role was taking up may not have been the sole reason why Martin decided to step down.

It's a pity the lads are leaving after what was a good first year in the saddle for the management team as a whole. Their departure does, however, mean that James will now be able to freshen things up a bit on the sideline, even if the opportunity for him to do so is an enforced one.  Nonetheless it'll still be interesting to see what additions he makes to his backroom team in light of this development.

Yep. Might seem like a good year for Mayo Football but not all peaches & cream. Bit of spin going on but with my humble ear to the ground since London game, I'd say a lot of meat in Connollys remark  ;)

saffronandblue

I believe from what I hear that our manager can be fairly stubborn and slow to change.  When you are not involved directly then you only hear things second hand, which may not be all that reliable.  If some of the management team had problems with him, then it may follow that some of the players do as well.  I hope not......

AbbeySider

I am hearing rumours that Andy Moran broke his leg over the weekend, any truth in it?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 19, 2011, 10:21:37 AM
I am hearing rumours that Andy Moran broke his leg over the weekend, any truth in it?

Apparently so. I caught the sport headlines on MWR and he won't make the international rules panel because of it.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 19, 2011, 03:41:13 PM

Apparently so. I caught the sport headlines on MWR and he won't make the international rules panel because of it.

Ah jesus, that's awful. He's had a fantastic year, terrible for that to happen.
Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 19, 2011, 03:41:13 PM

Must have happened at the Kilmacud 7's competition? Thats a shame... but at least he wont miss to much county / club action. A good rest and layoff could in fact do him good as he has a lot of miles clicked up in recent years. Hope he makes a full recovery.

AbbeySider

Did I read somewhere that Donal Vaughan is close to the international rules squad? It might suit him, he is a great athlete and a serious ball carrier

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 19, 2011, 03:44:47 PM
Did I read somewhere that Donal Vaughan is close to the international rules squad? It might suit him, he is a great athlete and a serious ball carrier

Yeah, himself and Andy were the two Mayo players called up. Not sure what stage the panel is at - doubt it's been finalised yet.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

38K a month to service the Interest  :o . Wow we really have a huge white elephant on our hands

Clubs and County Board clash over levies payment plans

Clubs and Board clash over levies payment plans

Edwin McGreal

CLUBS in Mayo are up in arms over Mayo GAA Board proposals that they be required to start paying their County Board levies next February — months before they start selling Mayo GAA Development Draw tickets — the only significant means of fund-raising for those same levies.
Last week's meeting of the County Board in Castlebar was told that if the Board don't get monthly payments to the banks from February onwards, to service the interest on the loan for the McHale Park redevelopment, they could be looking at a 'financial crisis' by March.
As a result, clubs were requested to pay their County Board levies in six monthly installments, starting in February, instead of paying a lump sum once they sell their quota of Development Draw tickets.
"We have to pay €38,000 a month to service the interest on the loan for McHale Park," County Board Treasurer JP Lambe told the meeting.
"There won't be any money from gates until June, and I know it may be hard on clubs but this is easier for them than us looking for the full amount in March, which is the alternative," warned Lambe.
"If the clubs don't sign up to this, we'll be in financial crisis by March. We would have to get rid of some of the coaches if we are not able to make the payments this way. We're only asking for enough to make repayments and keep teams well looked after."
However, a sizeable number of clubs objected to being asked to pay the levy before they sold any County Board tickets.
"Are you asking us to pay for tickets we haven't sold? The club won't have the money in the bank to pay," said Achill delegate Pakie McGinty. "Where are we going to get it from? Borrow it from the banks? It is impossible."
Ballinrobe delegate Alan Flannnery said the issue was a simple but unavoidable one, one cash flow for both GAA clubs and the County Board.
Despite initial opposition from the top table, a suggestion by Flannery that clubs discuss the possibility of staggering the payments into 12 monthly payments received some favour.
The matter was sent back to the clubs with Paddy McNicholas stressing that a decision would be needed by early October as the 12 monthly-payments option, if decided on, would have to commence in November, the start of the Board's financial year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

highorlow

Quote38K a month to service the Interest   . Wow we really have a huge white elephant on our hands

How much did they have to borrow to build this stand? That's over 450k per annum.

It must be also the loan to build the centre of excellence? This place must be finished by now?

They need a few Bon Jovi concerts in Castlebar next summer by the looks of things!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

muppet

Quote from: highorlow on September 27, 2011, 09:32:20 AM
Quote38K a month to service the Interest   . Wow we really have a huge white elephant on our hands

How much did they have to borrow to build this stand? That's over 450k per annum.

It must be also the loan to build the centre of excellence? This place must be finished by now?

They need a few Bon Jovi concerts in Castlebar next summer by the looks of things!

MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Ex-Tipperary hurling trainer set to join Mayo

Horan keen on O'Neill

Ex-Tipp' hurling trainer set for switch to Mayo

Mike Finnerty

THE former physical trainer of the Tipperary senior hurling team has emerged as the front-runner to join James Horan's Mayo management team.
Dr Cian O'Neill, who stepped down from his role with Tipperary last week after four years in the role, is believed to be in pole position to replace Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan, who both resigned as Mayo selectors earlier this month.
O'Neill, a native of Kildare, is the course director for the BSc Physical Education programme at the University of Limerick, and has worked with Mayo footballers like Seamus O'Shea, Enda Varley, Barry Moran and Kenneth O'Malley in recent seasons.
The highly-rated coach would seem to fit the profile of person that James Horan said he was looking to recruit after the departure of Martin Connolly and Paul Jordan, who did most of the physical training with Mayo last season.
"We're looking for the very best coach out there, someone with ambition, drive and a desire to succeed," commented Horan recently.
"I don't care who they are or where they're from as long as they can do the job for Mayo. There's a big task here and big opportunities and we're looking to work hard and achieve as much as we possibly can."
The official appointment of Cian O'Neill to the Mayo backroom staff is expected to be ratified at next Monday night's meeting of the Mayo GAA Board.
If the former Limerick senior football trainer does come on board, it will represent a serious coup for James Horan as he looks to build on Mayo's performances in 2011.
O'Neill is credited as being one of the main driving forces behind the Tipperary hurlers' recent resurgence, with the players becoming better conditioned and more able to cope with the rigours of an inter-county campaign.

superb appointment

Farrandeelin

Great appointment and coup for James alright. Hopefully he won't let us down.

mannix

I agree, mayo ran out of steam against Kerry, Dublin did not, the dubs were fitter despite all the mayo training. Welcome to this new man.