Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: the bucket on December 07, 2006, 03:53:14 PM
you are right football is king in mayo and that is the way it was, is, and always will be but all we want is fair play is that not much to ask for, maybe to some it seems to be.

how could you have an argument with people who don't believe in justice luck or good fortune but i forget ye are men of faith.

Bucket I do believe in justice. I do not believe in superstition, fortune and luck.

I dont understand who you are referring to when you say "ye". Its smacks of paranoia. If by "ye" you mean supporters of the county senior football team then you are creating a divide between Mayo Hurling Vs Football again. Everyone here and any GAA supporter in the county want to see Mayo hurlers do well and get funded and looked after properly.

And what has that spiteful "faith" remark has to do with anything?

Im not picking on the hurlers. The only thing I do not agree with however is your statements that Mayo dont deserve to win Sam because the county board skrewed over the hurlers. That was a daft statement.

You were wronged and we are all on your side. I would like to see fair play for the hurlers too.
But I dont like your lack of solidarity with Mayo Gaa in general. Stop the silly "ye" business. We are all the one so stop creating a divide.

dodo

Stephenite, can you rename this thread from New Mayo Manager to something like Mayo County Footballers and Hurlers ?

stephenite

Pietas

Quote from: the bucket on December 07, 2006, 02:04:20 PM

There would be uproard, and rightly so.  But nothing should be allowed detract from attempts to win Sam.  Nothing.

So all the hurling people in mayo BTW who are born and bred mayo people not some aliens from a foregin planet have to be sacrificed so that SAM can be brought home how sad that is, and I'm sure the vast majority of mayo people would think the same.

If natural justice is to prevail then my friends SAM Maguire will be a long time coming home.
You cant treat people the way mayo hurling is been treated and expect good fortune and luck

If natural justice prevailed we'd have won Sam in '96.  Natural justice never prevails.  That's the way of the world.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Barney

We should have some craic next week with the County Secretarys report being made available to the press.

I reckon there are good odds that the Board is going to be mentioned and that some members here will be criticised.

towinjustonce

I just hope Sean doesn't make a tit of himself again this year when giving his annual secreatary report.

with any luck, he won't mention the padraig nally retrial, the war in iraq or the state of the roads in erris

nice photo of our esteemed treasuer JP in this week's mayo news

Cllr Willie Power

Quote from: Barney on December 07, 2006, 05:17:25 PM
Just to brighten your day

QuoteMr. Waldron also confirmed that next week's county board convention (Tuesday, December 12, in Julian's of Midfield) will be one of the least eventful in recent years.

"There are actually no motions going before convention. I suppose the big thing this year was the appointment of a new senior manager so convention will be a quiet affair with just some by-laws to be ironed out."

So the status quo remains. As I've said before we get what we deserve.

Well Barney, I can only speak for my own club but there was no discussion or mention of anything relating to the County scene at our A.G.M., it focused purely on the club. Judging by the Chairmans comments, I can only assume it was the same with the rest of the clubs?

The Secretarys report will be interesting alright - the Padraig Nally case is back in the news, perhaps a mention of the Rossport Five as well this year for good measure?  :-X If there is a reference to the Board you can be sure that it wont be singing its praises anyway!  :P One thing it probably wont mention though is the current fiasco with the Hurling scene - or the whole debacle surrounding M&Ms departure. Their will be nothing that will reflect the Board in a negative light.

Barney

It has started  ;D

QuoteA leading GAA figure in Mayo has called for an end to what he has labelled "downtown black pudding" debate about the county's senior football team and management.

After a trying close to 2006, when the county board and the Mickey Moran-led senior team management parted ways after just one season, county board secretary Seán Feeney has criticised what he described as uninformed discussion on the county team set-up.

Feeney, who was critical of Moran's regime during a season that saw Mayo battle their way to an All-Ireland final only to lose heavily to Kerry, made his comments in his report to the board's annual convention.

"The appointment of Mickey Moran and John Morrison did not meet with universal approval, and was debated ad nauseam on local radio," said Feeney.

"It was again debated ad nauseam when the partnership broke up and the officers of the board shook hands and decided to move on, as was in the agreement.

"We have too much of the downtown black pudding stuff and a little more enlightened debate would lift the tone rather than feeding fodder to the vulgar who are always willing to bite."

stephenite

the bucket

what in gods name is downtown black pudding debate are they referring to Mick Byrne's on a Monday night where everybody gets black pudding etc and talk about football.
BTW i never said we did not deserve SAM i said it would be a long time coming which is true and everybody would hope SAM will come to mayo but you can bet your bottom dollar with that county board shower still there they will always be something in the back of our minds that they are only waiting to ruin things again

towinjustonce

you could nearly set your watch by poor auld sean - he's getting as predictable as a Mayo Kerry AI final

Mid west radio will be none too pleased by his swipe

as for the black pudding reference - enough said. understood.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Barney on December 09, 2006, 10:35:29 AM
It has started  ;D

QuoteA leading GAA figure in Mayo has called for an end to what he has labelled "downtown black pudding" debate about the county's senior football team and management.

After a trying close to 2006, when the county board and the Mickey Moran-led senior team management parted ways after just one season, county board secretary Seán Feeney has criticised what he described as uninformed discussion on the county team set-up.

Feeney, who was critical of Moran's regime during a season that saw Mayo battle their way to an All-Ireland final only to lose heavily to Kerry, made his comments in his report to the board's annual convention.

"The appointment of Mickey Moran and John Morrison did not meet with universal approval, and was debated ad nauseam on local radio," said Feeney.

"It was again debated ad nauseam when the partnership broke up and the officers of the board shook hands and decided to move on, as was in the agreement.

"We have too much of the downtown black pudding stuff and a little more enlightened debate would lift the tone rather than feeding fodder to the vulgar who are always willing to bite."

Well if theres a bit of black pudding going I'm always willing to bite.

Barney

Anybody hear anything about the panel training at the minute. According to the Mayo Advertiser McDonald travelled from Cork for the first meeting so that's a positive.

Any newcomers. Any exits?

Barney

Work for 2007 has started in earnest according to the Mayo News. Some new faces and five players not returning. James Gill probably the biggest suprise here:

QuoteTHE initial Mayo senior football panel held their first collective session under newly appointed trainer Jim Kilty on Sunday last at the brand new Elverys Gym at An Sportlann, Castlebar.
An initial open-ended squad believed to contain approximately forty players has been assembled and they were given both stretching and weight programmes by Kilty during a three-hour session.
"We're feeling our way into things and we will have a look at a lot of players," selector Tommy Lyons told The Mayo News last night. "It's important to emphasise that the panel is open ended, we will be looking at other players continuously and if a player's club form merits it, we'll bring him in."
Of the 2006 panel there were no retirements with experienced players like Ciaran McDonald, David Brady, David Heaney, James Nallen, Kevin O'Neill and Aidan Higgins all on board. However, Pat Kelly, James Gill, John Healy, Colum Lyons and Stephen Carolan are not involved at the moment.
Of the new faces there is a sizeable quota from the All-Ireland U-21 winning side with players like Mark Ronaldson, Kenneth O'Malley, Tom Cunniffe and Ger Cafferkey among those called in.
Former inter-county players, Marty McNicholas, Gary Mullins and Pat Navin are all back in harness after a year out while Mickey Mullins of Claremorris and Barry Kelly of Ballaghaderreen are among those rewarded for outstanding club performances this season.