Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Was told yesterday that Aidan O'Shea is in Australia for trials at the moment.
Anyone know if this is true? Would have expected it to be known around the county if it was the case.
It was second hand news, but the person who told the person who told me (if you follow!) would be a fairly reliable source I'd imagine. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Liam Mc off to clare

Former Mayo star ready to become new Clare coach

Mike Finnerty

THE latest chapter in the GAA career of Liam McHale looks set to begin tonight (Tuesday) with the former Mayo footballer set to be confirmed as the new coach of the Clare senior football team.
It has emerged that the former Mayo midfielder and selector is part of Micheál McDermott's proposed Clare football management team.
If McDermott is ratified as the new Clare boss at tonight's County Board meeting, the Kilmurry-Ibrickane manager will be joined by McHale and former Clare footballer Colm Clancy for the 2010 season.
Speaking to The Mayo News last night, the 44 years-old said that he was looking forward to the new challenge.
"I've always said that I want to manage Mayo some day and this is a stepping stone in that direction," said McHale. "I'm really looking forward to this new challenge in Clare. I really enjoyed working in a coaching capacity with Kevin McStay and the Mayo U-21s, and with John Maughan and the Mayo seniors. This will be a great opportunity for me."
The Ballina Stephenite was head-hunted by Micheál McDermott after being highly-recommended by a number of third-parties. McHale met with Clare GAA officials ten days ago and has been impressed with what he has seen and heard.
"I've met Micheál a couple of times, and the Clare County Board as well, and I've been very impressed with what I've heard. They have realistic ambitions; they want to get out of Division 4 and be competitive in the championship.
"Any time I came up against Clare on the football field I found them hard to beat and very competitive. I'm very confident that this Clare team will be no different. I'm sure they'll have a good attitude and will want to improve."
McHale has just completed his first year as manager of the Ballina Stephenites senior football team and, despite committing to the Clare coaching job for at least twelve months, he revealed that he is keen for a second season with his club team.
"I'd like to continue as manager with Ballina," he explained. "I've spoken to some of the club officials, but they'll have to meet now, discuss the situation, and see if it's possible for me to do both jobs. I'm keen to make it work though. I've done a lot of work with this group and I'd love to get a second year to try and make more progress with them."

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Foreverhopeful

Get rid of kilty. No time for that shite in gaa. Maybe mayo should go down the route of Kildare and bring in some boxing.( Kildare host an annual boxing night, fights between players, mcgeeney fights aswell!)
Know of someone who was at it last year and they said there was no holding back. Thats what mayo need.... a bit of bite. let them box away and they'll learn how to take and give punsihment. Can't imagine dillon, conor mortimer,keith higgins being too fond of this idea but it's something mayo are clearly missing.

moysider

The reason I asked about the panel is this. Every year clubs are asked to sell county board tickets at E100 a pop. A lot of clubs find it difficult to sell their allocation. This year it will be even more difficult. Last year a club treasurer I know was informed that his club would have to produce the goods or else. Every training session he was told cost 2grand. This came from the top shelf.
Now I would be disappointed if scarce funds were being squandered still. After the Meath game that should have been it until New Year. Be different if there was a new manager. Surely nobody sees county training as a little earner.
As regards Kilty. I ve expressed my reservetions about him several times over last few years. But Johnno could be arrogant enough to go with the same again.If he does best of luck to him. It would be wishful thinking to expect him to do things differently now. He s obviously comfortable with things the way they are. He appears to have complete control over every aspect of the team preparation  and even though the system is not exactly cutting edge, I honestly think control is more important to Johnno than progress and results.

Foreverhopeful

I'm sure if they weren't feeding the county board lads who have no need to be there it would cost a little less. Maybe some players who never feature should be paying money back to!!!!

Zulu

I've asked around about Kilty and the overwhelming opinion is that he is a snake oil merchant that got very lucky with the quality of athlete he trained. My advice would be to get rid of him now. Forget about that boxing malarkey as well.

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on November 10, 2009, 11:01:55 PM
I've asked around about Kilty and the overwhelming opinion is that he is a snake oil merchant that got very lucky with the quality of athlete he trained. My advice would be to get rid of him now. Forget about that boxing malarkey as well.

If we get this Kilty guy wheeled out again at least we ll know we can take the year out. I was told by an athletics coach nearly 2 years ago that he had nt a clue. Worringly Johnno has had his own card marked about him and the inadequacies in the physical preparation. Yet he persists. The man has no problem getting rid of players before their time but cant bring himself to reform his 'staff' even though the contribution of a few is questionable.

Zulu

Yeah I've defend Johnno against, what I felt, was some unwarranted criticism but is seems fairly common knowledge that Kilty is a fraud so if O'Mahoney isn't aware of this or is ignoring it then he stands indicted of gross negligence.

Foreverhopeful

He doesnt have the same interest in mayo as he had with galway

muppet

Jeysus lads you might want to edit some of those comments.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Not alone do we not look fit, but physically we dont even look as big as teams like Meath and Galway. Something has to be wrong.

And another thing, one time ago county training in Mayo had the reputation of being hell. Stories of Maughan putting guys through their paces in Beltra and hard running in the training ground were in abundance.

Now; you never hear of how hard county training is. It would make you wonder.

Davitt Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 11, 2009, 09:40:53 AM
Not alone do we not look fit, but physically we dont even look as big as teams like Meath and Galway. Something has to be wrong.

And another thing, one time ago county training in Mayo had the reputation of being hell. Stories of Maughan putting guys through their paces in Beltra and hard running in the training ground were in abundance.

Now; you never hear of how hard county training is. It would make you wonder.

Its all about sports scienec now and yoga, pilates, gym work. Not many teams go to training and do 30laps bar Micko with wicklow

RedandGreenSniper

Well its hard to know. Mayo were brought for a few 'dog' training sessions in February below in Belleek. The point was made then that Mayo were flying fit in May when teams like Cork and Kerry were only cranking up their levels for late summer. By the time late summer came for Mayo, we had shot our bolt in fitness terms.

In terms of hard training sessions, they may not be as prevalent as before but they still serve a purpose. I think they are great for team morale and great for mental fortitude.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 11, 2009, 10:52:00 AM
Well its hard to know. Mayo were brought for a few 'dog' training sessions in February below in Belleek. The point was made then that Mayo were flying fit in May when teams like Cork and Kerry were only cranking up their levels for late summer. By the time late summer came for Mayo, we had shot our bolt in fitness terms.

In terms of hard training sessions, they may not be as prevalent as before but they still serve a purpose. I think they are great for team morale and great for mental fortitude.

Agreed. JM used to bring the team for 5 mile runs down on the beach in Enniscrone back in 96/97...really did look like military training when you would see about 30 lads hitting off across the beach together.

Foreverhopeful

ya that was kinda legendary stuff, remember seeing the team running in enniscrone, big personalitys on them teams (96/97)