Rule change on the way for kick-outs?

Started by Jinxy, January 13, 2017, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

For those of you who say there's nothing wrong with the way the game currently is and it's okay to go sideways and even backwards, must not have to watch your team play this type of football much. Maybe we in Tyrone were spoiled with players like Canavan etc where we played some great open attacking football but if Canavan was playing today he'd be back in his own half back line with most of the rest of the forwards and then try to turn the ball over and attack at speed. That's great if the other team don't play the same way but when you play the top teams most of them do and so you have a horrible spectacle of a game.

I don't know if a rule change about kick-outs is going to affect that much but something needs to change as the entertainment value has gone completely out of it. Even when you win now, it's more a sense of relief than an actual enjoyable victory. Most pundits last year would say the best football was played at underage level.

haranguerer

vallankumous

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 13, 2017, 02:53:21 PM
For those of you who say there's nothing wrong with the way the game currently is and it's okay to go sideways and even backwards, must not have to watch your team play this type of football much. Maybe we in Tyrone were spoiled with players like Canavan etc where we played some great open attacking football but if Canavan was playing today he'd be back in his own half back line with most of the rest of the forwards and then try to turn the ball over and attack at speed. That's great if the other team don't play the same way but when you play the top teams most of them do and so you have a horrible spectacle of a game.

I don't know if a rule change about kick-outs is going to affect that much but something needs to change as the entertainment value has gone completely out of it. Even when you win now, it's more a sense of relief than an actual enjoyable victory. Most pundits last year would say the best football was played at underage level.

The standard of refereeing is as big a problem for the spectacle of the game. Now even lads talented like Canavan seem happier to buy a free than keep going. These rule changes have no impact, managers will manage and if something doesn't suit their team they'll work around it. The GAA with their rule changes are moving chairs on the titanic. We have got to the stage where Referees are sacred within Croke Park.

Jinxy

The Tyrone team of the 'puke football' era were a joy to watch compared to most of the teams outside Leinster nowadays.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Is Haranguerer Micky Harte?
Gaelic football is pretty awful to watch these days, but tinkering round with piecemeal rule changes is unlikely to improve that.
The advantage rule has helped a little but the problem is the tackle and steps rules belong to the era of catch and kick.
In the modern era it's become a running/carrying game almost like rubby but without the tackle (legal) to stop the runners or the strict application of 4 steps ( which isn't easy with the speed of players).
The toss ball was the final straw in ruining the game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Most sports continually t**ker with their rules and they all certainly address issues with their sports if it's becoming a poorer spectacle. We need to be realistic about the world we are living in and will have to compete in the future. The bottom line is that a large number of football fans, not to mention, general sports fans increasingly find it a difficult sport to watch.

For me, football has never developed into the sport it can be but it is definitely regressing as a spectacle and that will harm the game in the future.

Jinxy

After the 90's, the quality and entertainment value decreased significantly.

Fuzzman

Yes styles of play have tended to change over the years but sadly I cannot see the game ever returning to the attack minded game we used to enjoy back in the 80s and 90s that most of us here remember.

There is so much more tactical focus now on stopping the other team from playing rather than the more direct kick passing into space where a fast skillful forward can do damage. I cannot see this as just being a phase as it has been proven to be a successful tactic against teams with good forwards.
Dublin would be winning Sam quite easily I think if teams didn't play the swarm blanket defence.
Back in the 70s and 80s of course half forwards would sometimes come back and help out their defences but now it is much more pre-determined and planned.
Yet some will argue that teams are still managing to put up high scores despite this focus on defensive play which is hard to argue with in some instances.

orangeman

Keepers should be made to drop kick the ball as far and as high as possible to ensure that we get the high fielding back into the game.

Jinxy

The failure to violently jump into the air after scoring a goal will become a black card offence.

mrdeeds

Just have it you can't pick up a kick out inside 21. Or move the large semi circle on 21 to the 15. Or all kick outs on 21 and no one can touch it in the semi circle.

David McKeown

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2017, 12:02:56 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 13, 2017, 11:30:13 AM
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a goal kick go anything other than forward to some degree or other. Am I missing something.

You've never seen the clip out to the corner back standing on the sideline that barely moves forward?

I think the ball should travel past the 45 (which shouldn't be an issue with a kicking tee and the ball on the 13). Jarlath Burns seemed to suggest they looked at this but the below doesn't sound right:

Quote"If the long kick-out were made compulsory, you'd find the full-forward line would have no reason to wait up there. The possibility of a short kick-out forces players to push up or concede possession. You'd end up with everyone dropping back towards the contest area.

That doesn't make sense to me? Surely yes you would have a contested breaking ball area but surely you want 1 or 2 FFs remaining in anticipation of clean possession and a quick kick pass into that area?

Barely forward is still forward. Unless you make the ball go beyond a specific area of the pitch e.g the 45 I don't see how you would define forward. I don't like the current trend of sideways kick outs but I think the game itself is going to have to adopt to deal with this. I don't think difficult to enforce rules are going to do it.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Itchy

How about the goalie shoots the ball out of a canon for a kick out. Canon must be supplied by O Neill's and will have 3 settings - normal, pearse stadium and u12.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 13, 2017, 04:51:07 PM
Yes styles of play have tended to change over the years but sadly I cannot see the game ever returning to the attack minded game we used to enjoy back in the 80s and 90s that most of us here remember.

6 points to 4 was the most common final score between Kildare and Tyrone back in the 80's (happening twice with a 6 points apiece draw in between them.) There was plenty of shite in the 90's too.

rrhf

They need to remove rules not make more.

Midfielders as in the old days are extinct. Restart after a goal with a hop in the centrefield. All other restarts are by kick out from hand.