Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Just realised my error, it was Tadgh Dowling of Rathdowney/Errill I meant.

Doran is a very good keeper but Fleming is worth his place for now though and I think it will be between him and Rowland for the jersey!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TP Ashe

Tadgh rejected the opportunity to join the panel I believe.

Good hurler and I do feel he'd have had something to offer the panel but it's backs we're in desperate need of to be honest...

hurlingmad

Quote from: redsetanta on January 11, 2017, 04:01:31 PM
Just realised my error, it was Tadgh Dowling of Rathdowney/Errill I meant.

Doran is a very good keeper but Fleming is worth his place for now though and I think it will be between him and Rowland for the jersey!
Oh now i get yoy, yeah fleming is a solid young keeper, Tadgh Dowling has loads of ability but consistancy is the problem i guess

hurlingmad

Quote from: TP Ashe on January 11, 2017, 07:29:39 PM
Tadgh rejected the opportunity to join the panel I believe.

Good hurler and I do feel he'd have had something to offer the panel but it's backs we're in desperate need of to be honest...
Is Cahir Healy still making the commute from London? If so that is dedication hardly matched anywhere in the country, and its hard to see where we will get these backs from, Eric Kileen can only improve as he is a big strong lad for his age, But that mix of youth and experience is what we lack at the moment

blueandwhite1

Yes and I think it is specifically half backs and corner backs we are in greater need of. Mullaney, Leigh Bergin and Eric Killeen look far more suited to central roles. Would be great to see a few pacy corner men coming through.

redsetanta

It would help the team if the likes of Butch Stapleton could give it one more year to help with the younger team and panel members as well as filling one of the corner positions. He's still young enough.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on January 12, 2017, 01:04:55 PM
It would help the team if the likes of Butch Stapleton could give it one more year to help with the younger team and panel members as well as filling one of the corner positions. He's still young enough.
He retired due to injury, to be fair to Butch, he gave his all for as long as he could. Hunting nippy corner forwards in the modern era is a young mans game and requires you to be in the whole of your health, anyone in O'Moore Park v Dublin 2 years ago will tell you Butch's time as gamekeeper was up on those knees in the state they were in. He owed us nothing more. Best of luck to him giving a few years to his club now.

redsetanta

I would never question the mans committment to the Laois jersey and he stood up manys a time. The televised league game v Cork a couple of years back showed his metal.
I didn't realise he was that bad with injury. It's just a pity the likes of himself and Willie have had to leave the fold when so many new young lads are coming through.

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on January 12, 2017, 03:06:14 PM
I would never question the mans committment to the Laois jersey and he stood up manys a time. The televised league game v Cork a couple of years back showed his metal.
I didn't realise he was that bad with injury. It's just a pity the likes of himself and Willie have had to leave the fold when so many new young lads are coming through.
Sadly thats the problem we've had over and over in Laois. Blood young lads early, they're whipped, flogged and beaten down by the time the next generation arrive, shuffle off, and the circle starts again.

redsetanta

A bit of a non event in the end but a long time since Laois put up such a high score in a competitive game. Leigh Bergin very good at full back and plenty of good performances all over the field. Looking forward to seeing this team in action next week against the Tribesmen.

burdizzo

Well, yes, DIT's good players (Jack Guiney, Liam Blanchfield) weren't playing, so it was a bit of a 'men against boys' scenario. Mind you, Tommy Doyle, Westmeath's full-back, gave Neil Foyle plenty of it, though Foyle was quick enough to react to a goal-keeping c**k-up to pounce for a goal. Anyway, much better than last week, nearly everyone played well enough, or at least were allowed to shine. Some super points - and a good hand - from Willy Dunphy in the first half. Nice 1-1 from Keating, good to see Matt Whelan back in, and Leigh Bergin played very well at full-back. Might be worth another go there? Probably the unhappiest will be sub-goalie Stephen Kelly, who dropped a few balls, one of which ended up in the net. Hard to come in cold like that, though.

Unlaoised

Tommy Doyle is an superb hurler and a big big strong lad he would make beeter county Teams than Westmeath so Foyle probably had his hands full.

Looking forward to the Galway game to see a few of these young lads in action!
LAOIS ABÚ

clonadmad

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 17, 2017, 11:13:41 AM
Tommy Doyle is an superb hurler and a big big strong lad he would make beeter county Teams than Westmeath so Foyle probably had his hands full.

Looking forward to the Galway game to see a few of these young lads in action!

He is indeed,Callinan struggled with him in the Railway Cup game.

blueandwhite1

Anyone know how the Laois players did for IT Carlow in the Offaly draw on Sunday?

Unlaoised

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 17, 2017, 05:13:25 PM
Anyone know how the Laois players did for IT Carlow in the Offaly draw on Sunday?

Heard Rowland was superb in the sticks!Thats all!
LAOIS ABÚ