Unfair grading in Ulster club comps.

Started by dundrumite, September 16, 2008, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doire abú

On second thoughts I think Coleraine will play in the Ulster IHC regardless of who wins the Derry IHC final and Na Magha will play in the Ulster JHC regardless of who wins the Derry JHC final. I think so, not 100% sure.

But I am almost sure that they play two finals for both titles, they have in the past anyway.

I think Coleraine will soon be moving up to Senior status, so don't know how they'll work the IHC and JHC after that happens.

Doire abú

On thirds thought, actually I just looked it up. ;D

The Derry IHC this year will be contested by Na Magha, Eoghan Rua (Coleraine) plus the reserves teams of Kevin Lynch's, Ballinascreen, Swatragh, Lavey, Banagher and Slaughtneil. Now fon't ask me if a reserve team wins are they allowed to advance to the Ulster IHC or not, maybe another Derry poster will shed some light.

Doesn't mention a JHC this year, but there has been one in the past so I imagine there'll be one this year. Probably be Na Magha vs Coleraine or Coleraine reserves. Probably Na Magha will advance to the Ulster JHC regardless of who wins.

magpie seanie

Counties should use their grading systems to maximise the competitiveness of their own championships. This helps bring through talent for county teams. Obviously a good indicator would be how your county champions do in provincial competition year on year.

Sligo is a small county with just 24 clubs playing football. Ridiculously we've had 16 teams (2/3) in the SFC for the last couple of years. That is just wrong and personally I believe it has hindered the bringing through of talent. The IFC has been very weak and the JFC has just been clubs second (and occasionally third) teams. Thankfully it has now been agreed to reduce this number to 12 - the number it was for a good number of years.

I think league and championship should be seperate. If a team can't win a JFC or IFC then I don't think they should be allowed to play at a higher championship level. If they're good enough they'll get there.

slow corner back

The grading in ulster hurling works quite well. Last year after beating Bredagh Setanta played my own Club Glen Rovers from antrim in the junior final, Armoy scraped home by a point in a great match. This year Armoy competed in the Antrim intermediate championship and were well beaten and using that as a yardstick I do not believe the donegal champions are ready for intermediate hurling just yet. If and when the Donegal champions can win an ulster title then promote them, until then let the play in a competitive and enjoyable junior championship

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Doire abú on September 17, 2008, 02:26:19 PM
On second thoughts I think Coleraine will play in the Ulster IHC regardless of who wins the Derry IHC final and Na Magha will play in the Ulster JHC regardless of who wins the Derry JHC final. I think so, not 100% sure.

But I am almost sure that they play two finals for both titles, they have in the past anyway.

I think Coleraine will soon be moving up to Senior status, so don't know how they'll work the IHC and JHC after that happens.

So in previous years did they actually have two matches on separate weekends.  Thats a strange thing alright. 
Quote from: slow corner back on September 17, 2008, 09:55:43 PM
The grading in ulster hurling works quite well. Last year after beating Bredagh Setanta played my own Club Glen Rovers from antrim in the junior final, Armoy scraped home by a point in a great match. This year Armoy competed in the Antrim intermediate championship and were well beaten and using that as a yardstick I do not believe the donegal champions are ready for intermediate hurling just yet. If and when the Donegal champions can win an ulster title then promote them, until then let the play in a competitive and enjoyable junior championship
This is what i had assumed aswell, that they or their county board, or the ulster council thought they wouldnt be strong enough to play intermediate, so junior was the sensible option.  But i was more thinking of the team that actually wins the donegal junior, they dont get to play anywere, s there is no real incentive to win that competition, apart from actually winning it i mean. Be a while before we have to worry about ulster again anyway. >:(

Doire abú

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on September 19, 2008, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on September 17, 2008, 02:26:19 PM

So in previous years did they actually have two matches on separate weekends.  Thats a strange thing alright. 

Yeah I'm nearly sure Coleraine played Na Magha in both the IHC and JHC finals (two separate matches).

Although as I say this year (and possibly the last couple of years) there's also reserve teams in the IHC. Not sure if there is a JHC this year, if there is it'll be Coleraine vs Na Magha in the final I'd say.

bredaghgael86

how many reserve teams would the likes of lynchs have?  the ards teams all have 3 teams