RTE Sports person of the year - King Henry Shefflin

Started by kilkennycat2004, December 17, 2006, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

Well done to Henry Shefflin, The irish Sports personality of the year.  He deserved it as much if not more than anybody Josey.  The competition itself pitches all sportspeople as even whether they be male / female / on horses not on horses / part of a team or solo, so by that rationale(which I deem to be absolutely stupid) all sports are treated equally and achievements are not graded in any obvious way.  I believe that sports should not be compared as they have different merits / levels of sportsmanship / levels of skill / dedication required etc, so by my reckoning all sports are not equal.  Give an award to the best in their field in each sport.  The British award to ashowjumper Phillips last week showed that they would charatcterise admittedly world class results over what was a human triumph over adversity through the medium of sport -  of a kind not seen in sport for many years on these shores.  I think it would show us where their priorities lie in terms of how they view sport.  they are very different from mine.  Derval O Rourke and Paul rady had magnificent achievements this year as well, in fact all did,  What it comes down to is unfortunately do you like Henrys achievement more than Dervals, neither can be compared but since they were and Henrys a GAA man, faitr play to him as for Spillane, since when had gEORGE hOOk MORE SUPPORT for the Gaa than the "arselicker"   

dubnut

"i don't think he should have got it he didn't win all he did on his own whereas someone like O'Rourke or Harrington did"

So therefore no team player should ever win this prize???  ??? :o

nrico2006

Have no argument with Henry getting the award, his constant high scoring from play and frees this year was amazing.  To perform as well as he did in nearly every game is amazing.  O'Rourke's achievement was great, the outdoor silver was great as was the indoor.  But winning indoors in athletics seems to count for little in the grand scale.  Personally, I think Paul Brady should have got it, look at his achievements around the globe in his sport.  He is the best, O'Rourke isnt and although Henry is I think due to the wider scale of competition and onus on individualism that Brady should have got it
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dubnut

"Apologies for being a little bit more open minded than the rest of you"

Josey with all due respect cop on, its all about opinion, most nominees had valid reasons to win, but to suggest you are the only "open minded" person on the board because people disagree with you suggests you need to remove your head from your arse.
I would have picked O'Rourke for the record, but that talk does you no favours.

You are quick to jump on people who disagree with you saying they dont have a monopoly on opinions on this boards, your comments above make that a bit ironic!

Either way, congrats to Henry.

umgolaarmagh

What do you call the Atletics representative on the panel on the night.

He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about athletics getting a raw deal and even stated the grestest moment was Barcelonas victory in Champions League.

Josey Whales

"Apologies for being a little bit more open minded than the rest of you"

Josey with all due respect cop on, its all about opinion, most nominees had valid reasons to win, but to suggest you are the only "open minded" person on the board because people disagree with you suggests you need to remove your head from your arse.
I would have picked O'Rourke for the record, but that talk does you no favours.

You are quick to jump on people who disagree with you saying they dont have a monopoly on opinions on this boards, your comments above make that a bit ironic!"

Oh turn it up you sanctimonius git.As to make the outlandish remark that i think i have a monopoly on the board why don't you look at who posts the most.. I'd say i've comments on about two threads at the moment- hardly cornering the market there i'd say.
I suggested i was possibly a bit more open minded than a few others who had posted before me- i thought i'd broaden the debate a little by suggesting (breaking news here- martin breheny are you reading) that O Rourke had more claim to it than Shefflin. It's my opinion that  al ot of the debate on this board is extremely narrow at times. Now you and the rest of your cohorts mighn't agree with that- but i suppose i'll have to apologise for raining on your parade again.

dubnut

"Oh turn it up you sanctimonius git"
More insults Josey  ::) Classy.

"As to make the outlandish remark that i think i have a monopoly on the board why don't you look at who posts the most.. I'd say i've comments on about two threads at the moment- hardly cornering the market there i'd say"

You didnt read my post correctly (not for the first time), I said you give out to others saying they thought they had a monopoly on opinion on the board.
I never said you has a monopoly on it, two very different things.

"I suggested i was possibly a bit more open minded than a few others who had posted before me"

No you didnt you said you were more open minded that the rest of us. One can only take that as everyone you disagree with.

Listen, I am all for debate, but this patronising insulting crap towards people who disagree makes you look bad.
You know, just because you have an opinion on something, doesnt make you right.
I agree with your choice, just not with your manners. Keep it civilised.  ;)

Hound

Jeez lads, we're all fair thick considering how close we are to Christmas  ;)

Anyway, it was supposed to be Sports Personality of the Year, therefore as the only two nominated who have a personality it should have been between Bernard Dunne and Darren Clarke - with Dunne deserving of the honours because he achieved more.

By the way, whilie I love Ted Walsh, its a disgrace he was asked to judge a sporting award given he'd never heard of our premier athlete.

Josey Whales

"Listen, I am all for debate, but this patronising insulting crap towards people who disagree makes you look bad.
You know, just because you have an opinion on something, doesnt make you right.
I agree with your choice, just not with your manners. Keep it civilised.  "

Quite frankly i think you're the biggest hypocrite on the board. But to accuse me of being patronising . Pot and kettle spring to mind. I'll remmeber to post to you personally my comments before i put them on the board so you can censor them. You'll have to make allowances for idiots like myself who quite obviously don't operate on the same plane as you.

dubnut

Josey, pull yourself together.

I am a hypocrite for telling you not to be insulting everyone?
And how am I being patronising?

A lot of statements with no backup Josey.