The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on June 17, 2019, 07:51:04 PM
Quote from: Seany on June 17, 2019, 06:38:15 PM
Ridiculous and very hurtful comments about analysts here. To be honest, I only heard what Ursula Jacobs had to say. I didn't check out her hair, although if she hadn't it coiffed to the last degree, she would have got it here too. I found her to be brilliant. Really knows her stuff. Has a genuine pedigree in that she's an All Ireland winner and was not there for some stupid gender quota reason. SOme of the comments on this board just highlight how much women are second class citizens in this country.

Maybe, but this was hurling. She's a camogie player.
Camogie is just another name for hurling.

J70

This thread is getting embarrassing.

Her f**king accent is an issue now!

macdanger2

Quote from: J70 on June 17, 2019, 10:05:21 PM

Exactly, plenty of shite "analysts" without criticising some for their hair/accent/gender

imtommygunn

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 18, 2019, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 17, 2019, 10:05:21 PM

Exactly, plenty of shite "analysts" without criticising some for their hair/accent/gender

You would find better football analysis in the pub.

I find with the soccer on BBC for example that the women tend to know more as they have had to work a lot harder to get there. You have the likes of Robbie Savage who once played the game in the premier league and was deemed a "character" so they stick him on and  he's an absolute balloon. I would say he's comparable to Spillane.

The hurling has a much better standard of analysis though Donal Og is turning into an awful "needs a review" kind of man.

The women coming into the punditry is a good thing. There are too many "I played once" people coming in who are no good and Brolly has turned it a bit into a controversial role as opposed to actually intelligently dissecting the game. I am hoping bringing more women into it brings better analysis. Brolly isn't great and I wouldn't rate O"Se or Whelan too highly either so IMO they can only be better.

BennyCake

I rate Whelan one of the better football pundits. Oisin McConville is very good on BBC as well.

Given the choice, I prefer BBC over RTE every day of the week (Well, Saturdays and Sundays at least, because they tend to be only on those days).

Keyser soze

The comment about her hair was a joke ffs.

Some of you c@@@s are real busy looking to take offence on someone else's behalf for f**k all reason. Get a life you losers.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: BennyCake on June 17, 2019, 07:51:04 PM
Quote from: Seany on June 17, 2019, 06:38:15 PM
Ridiculous and very hurtful comments about analysts here. To be honest, I only heard what Ursula Jacobs had to say. I didn't check out her hair, although if she hadn't it coiffed to the last degree, she would have got it here too. I found her to be brilliant. Really knows her stuff. Has a genuine pedigree in that she's an All Ireland winner and was not there for some stupid gender quota reason. SOme of the comments on this board just highlight how much women are second class citizens in this country.

Maybe, but this was hurling. She's a camogie player.
Funny how Cahill didn't ask either Brennan or Cusack for their thoughts on the camogie games that were shown.

easytiger95

Only was flicking through channels when I came across 2 mins of Jacob's analysis, of Shane O'Donnell's goal for Clare at the start of the Cork game. In that 2 mins she highlighted O'Donnells good running into channels, how the other Clare forward dragged the Cork full back out of position with another good run, leaving space for O'Donnell to attack, and how O'Donnell's marker was carrying his hurl in the wrong hand, allowing O'Donnell turn and beat him on the outside.

This is the only piece of technical analysis that has stayed with me from a Sunday Game in 35 years watching it (including a couple of years working on it).

She is a brilliant analyst. Gender doesn't come into it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 18, 2019, 12:03:03 PM
Only was flicking through channels when I came across 2 mins of Jacob's analysis, of Shane O'Donnell's goal for Clare at the start of the Cork game. In that 2 mins she highlighted O'Donnells good running into channels, how the other Clare forward dragged the Cork full back out of position with another good run, leaving space for O'Donnell to attack, and how O'Donnell's marker was carrying his hurl in the wrong hand, allowing O'Donnell turn and beat him on the outside.

This is the only piece of technical analysis that has stayed with me from a Sunday Game in 35 years watching it (including a couple of years working on it).

She is a brilliant analyst. Gender doesn't come into it.

You're right but unfortunately, time and time again, we see attitudes to women on this board that are simply toxic. I had hoped we'd moved on to a greater degree but clearly not. It's pathetic.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 18, 2019, 09:46:48 AM
The comment about her hair was a joke ffs.

Some of you c@@@s are real busy looking to take offence on someone else's behalf for f**k all reason. Get a life you losers.

Dont worry .....keyser I got it
The eye roll still didn't stop the stampede of sanctimony.

clarshack

At least they've shown some qualifier games early on.

macdanger2

Quote from: clarshack on June 23, 2019, 09:56:33 PM
At least they've shown some qualifier games early on.

Ah shite, thought they'd be on later. Was the mayo game shown?

maigheo

Mayo game just finished

From the Bunker

Quote from: clarshack on June 23, 2019, 09:38:56 PM
Usual story I suppose that all the games we've already seen gets shown again and all the qualifier games get about 5 minutes.

To be fair most people don't watch the games in real time anymore. So they depend on a quick fix highlights show. Watching the game in real time is a waste of time in the current climate bar one or two games.