Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:29:11 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:09:56 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on October 11, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
Ming  put this on his facebook yesterday as the polls open
Please Share. By far the most abiding memory of the last general election was watching my father in tears at a comment made in the Roscommon people by Ivan Connaughton. Responding to my announcement that I would only take 50% pay, ivan expressed the opinion that because I was mentally ill then thats all I deserved. My family, as with many other, has had plenty of experience with depression, but to see it thrown out as an acceptable form of abuse in a local newspaper was too much for my father to take. Today is World Mental Health Awareness Day. Just making people aware. Since the foundation of the state we have treated mental illness as a nuisance. The idea that someone with such an attitude could get elected to the Dail makes me feel very sad for this Country. Hopefully it wont happen. Vote for anyone but this individual. We deserve better.

Sad that he stooped so low
Well said, he could have easily provided proof of this 'comment', be it an online link or a newspaper cutting, given he said it was in the Ros People but for some reason chose not to do so. Well done to Fitzmaurice and in fairness I think he'll be a solid TD and comes across quite well, but Ming has not covered himself in glory with a smear job like that. Though given the margin in it I doubt it made much differ.

One look at the Roscommon People's website will tell you why there's no link. Keep trying though.
You mean the 5 seconds it took me to get a link to all previous editions including those from February 2011?

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/pdfdetailarchive.asp?id=200

There's no way to search key-words in PDFs on the website. They even split the PDFs into single page files to make searching even harder.

If you really think Ming invented this out of thin air (going as far as to talk about Luke Snr.) then you have little concept of Ming or of the sneering tone of politics in the county.
I'm well aware of the dirty nature of Roscommon politics over the years, that's beside the point. And don't try to paint Ming as a angel either, he's well capable of being snide and petty when it suits him. Yeah the site's search function is crap, but in fact the way its laid out made it ridiculously easy for him, I know he's had many a snipe and cheapshot aimed at him over the years by various forms, but given the nature of this one it no doubt stuck in the mind, so he'd surely have recalled where it was, and they made it easy for him, all he'd have to do is post the link to the PDF page to show it for all to see. That he chose not to is odd, and that he left it to polling day to do this odder still. Had he put this out earlier and backed it up Connaughton would have probably been sunk from that point on.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2014, 02:43:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 01:24:13 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 11, 2014, 01:16:31 PM
What do Independents do for the country?

I know what Enda and Frankie Elbows did for Roscommon. Shut the A&E.

Ming did more for Roscommon in one term than any of the parade endless identikit suited-and-booted major party TDs have done in many years

The question you should be asking is what the 'major' parties have ever done. It has rarely been to represent the interests of their voters.

He asked a question, and you couldn't answer it and told him to ask another question.  ::)

I answered the exact same question earlier in the thread before you Rhubarbs turned this thread into some weird racism debate that had absolutely nothing to do with Ming.

..::)

And yet, still no sign of an answer.........

Or a link.....

Or a quote.....

And I never mentioned Ming.....
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:56:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:29:11 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:09:56 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on October 11, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
Ming  put this on his facebook yesterday as the polls open
Please Share. By far the most abiding memory of the last general election was watching my father in tears at a comment made in the Roscommon people by Ivan Connaughton. Responding to my announcement that I would only take 50% pay, ivan expressed the opinion that because I was mentally ill then thats all I deserved. My family, as with many other, has had plenty of experience with depression, but to see it thrown out as an acceptable form of abuse in a local newspaper was too much for my father to take. Today is World Mental Health Awareness Day. Just making people aware. Since the foundation of the state we have treated mental illness as a nuisance. The idea that someone with such an attitude could get elected to the Dail makes me feel very sad for this Country. Hopefully it wont happen. Vote for anyone but this individual. We deserve better.

Sad that he stooped so low
Well said, he could have easily provided proof of this 'comment', be it an online link or a newspaper cutting, given he said it was in the Ros People but for some reason chose not to do so. Well done to Fitzmaurice and in fairness I think he'll be a solid TD and comes across quite well, but Ming has not covered himself in glory with a smear job like that. Though given the margin in it I doubt it made much differ.

One look at the Roscommon People's website will tell you why there's no link. Keep trying though.
You mean the 5 seconds it took me to get a link to all previous editions including those from February 2011?

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/pdfdetailarchive.asp?id=200

There's no way to search key-words in PDFs on the website. They even split the PDFs into single page files to make searching even harder.

If you really think Ming invented this out of thin air (going as far as to talk about Luke Snr.) then you have little concept of Ming or of the sneering tone of politics in the county.
I'm well aware of the dirty nature of Roscommon politics over the years, that's beside the point. And don't try to paint Ming as a angel either, he's well capable of being snide and petty when it suits him. Yeah the site's search function is crap, but in fact the way its laid out made it ridiculously easy for him, I know he's had many a snipe and cheapshot aimed at him over the years by various forms, but given the nature of this one it no doubt stuck in the mind, so he'd surely have recalled where it was, and they made it easy for him, all he'd have to do is post the link to the PDF page to show it for all to see. That he chose not to is odd, and that he left it to polling day to do this odder still. Had he put this out earlier and backed it up Connaughton would have probably been sunk from that point on.

I thought it'd only take five minutes to find it? Sounds like a little more intensive. Ming posted an anecdote on FB, and one that his opponents wouldn't have any compunctions about using if the situation was reversed.

It boils down to this - we didn't elect Ming (repeatedly) to be angel; we didn't elect Ivan Connaughton (repeatedly) because he's an identikit gombeen, selected more for where his house is than his ability to be a public representative. Ivan walking around blaming a FB post for him losing the election tells you all you need to know about him and, indeed, his party.

fearbrags

I dont think that Ivan is blaming his defeat on this (margin too big)
But then again you are ""sufferus "" and You write shite on here and stolensheep quiet often
It is sad that it was done in such away in my view
Not at all surprised at "Ming""
The fact that it wasn't even his campaign makes it worse
And Michael Fitzmaurice is not happy about either

Syferus

Quote from: fearbrags on October 12, 2014, 03:40:28 AM
I dont think that Ivan is blaming his defeat on this (margin too big)
But then again you are ""sufferus "" and You write shite on here and stolensheep quiet often
It is sad that it was done in such away in my view
Not at all surprised at "Ming""
The fact that it wasn't even his campaign makes it worse
And Michael Fitzmaurice is not happy about either

In his first interview after conceding he decided to attack Ming (not even up for election) and blamed the FB post for significant losses. He very blantedly blamed it for seriously hurting his vote so you've again missed the point completely.

FF and Ivan pumped massive time and money into this campaign. There was five or six canvassers at the county finals last week for Ivan, it was a ridculous scene - they out-numbered the stewards outside the ground.

Basically Ivan and FF thought they could buy this seat with FG so despised after the hospital debacle but they threw their toys out of the pram when the electorate rejected them and started playing the blame game.

Ivan blaming Fitz's win on a protest vote was also comical - aren't FF the main opposition party?

mikehunt

Why is he blaming Ming and Facebook for the loss if all they were doing was repeating his words?

fearbrags

I see Roscommon People have said that mings claims on Facebook "" no such story was ever on their paper""  wow

fearbrags

Quote Syferus ""If you really think Ming invented this out of thin air (going as far as to talk about Luke Snr.) then you have little concept of Ming or of the sneering tone of politics in the county.""

WOW
A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes..

seafoid