Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 26, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
I wouldn't be one for agreeing for Colm O'Rourke but he is 100% right here...

It looks like the GAA basically bribed the GPA to pipe down, make them part of the organisation and gave them free reign commercially.
But on the other hand it may have been part of their intention since Farrell took over to have a wee junket like this. I remember I thought the outcome of the negotiations a bit strange at the time, they had went from a radical rabble rousing organisation who had secured Government grants for players to basically becoming part of the main GAA body without so much as a whimper

TBF to Flynn tho I'd be regurgitating BS to if I was on a good thing like it

There's something to be said for keeping your friends close but your enemies closer. Inside the tent pi$$ing out rather than outside the tent pi$4ing in and all that.

Hound

Quote from: Beffs on November 26, 2019, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 26, 2019, 03:55:40 PM
Quote from: Beffs on November 26, 2019, 02:21:44 PM
Paul Flynn really can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer if he can't see how flying dozens and dozens of people over to the US every year looks terrible, when there are clubhouses up & down the country without running water, hot showers, proper dressing rooms, enough equipment etc etc

All Star trips and the annual team holiday for AI winners are one thing. I don't think anyone has a problem with them. At least I don't. But spending truck loads of money on junkets (with loads of hangers on) to play a bastardized version of hurling that serves no purpose whatsoever, does not sit well with people.

The money could be better spent elsewhere, whether it's their own money, the GAA's or the sponsors. If he can't see that, it's a damming inditement of just how out of touch with reality he & the rest of the GPA are.
I don't think the GPA ever pretended to have anything to do with anything other than intercounty players.

I know that.

But the wider population are ordinary rank and file GAA club members. They are the ones who see how hard life is at grass roots level. They are the ones who have a problem with all these US junkets & they are the people Paul Flynn doesn't seem to understand having a problem.

Fair play for admitting that Beffs. It's plain old mindless begrudgery! Who do these fookers think they are swanning off to New York where Irish Americans give give them a load of dosh.

Instead what should be done, is a random draw among all club members where 60 players from around the country are picked to go to the US to play a match where the yanks can pay $80 a ticket and thousands for dinner to meet these great club people.

And all the excess proceeds can go to the list of clubs that Beffs is going to tell us about that don't even have running water.

What a marvellous idea. I'm sure it's a winner.

It is amazing how begrudgery makes people forget to switch on their brains

Rossfan

Whatever about GPA junkets how many $$$$$ are spent on paying Irish Summer semi pros annually?
That would provide a lot of facilities for GAA units over there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Quote from: Hound on November 27, 2019, 08:44:42 AM
Paul Flynn really can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer if he can't see how flying dozens and dozens of people over to the US every year looks terrible, when there are clubhouses up & down the country without running water, hot showers, proper dressing rooms, enough equipment etc etc

All Star trips and the annual team holiday for AI winners are one thing. I don't think anyone has a problem with them. At least I don't. But spending truck loads of money on junkets (with loads of hangers on) to play a bastardized version of hurling that serves no purpose whatsoever, does not sit well with people.

The money could be better spent elsewhere, whether it's their own money, the GAA's or the sponsors. If he can't see that, it's a damming inditement of just how out of touch with reality he & the rest of the GPA are.
I don't think the GPA ever pretended to have anything to do with anything other than intercounty players.

I know that.

But the wider population are ordinary rank and file GAA club members. They are the ones who see how hard life is at grass roots level. They are the ones who have a problem with all these US junkets & they are the people Paul Flynn doesn't seem to understand having a problem.

Fair play for admitting that Beffs. It's plain old mindless begrudgery! Who do these fookers think they are swanning off to New York where Irish Americans give give them a load of dosh.

Instead what should be done, is a random draw among all club members where 60 players from around the country are picked to go to the US to play a match where the yanks can pay $80 a ticket and thousands for dinner to meet these great club people.

And all the excess proceeds can go to the list of clubs that Beffs is going to tell us about that don't even have running water.

I don't think anyone has an issue with IC players travelling and playing the exhibition games.

It's more than people in the travelling party who don't seem to have a particular reason for being there - see my previous post.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: heffo on November 27, 2019, 10:13:10 AM

I know that.

I don't think anyone has an issue with IC players travelling and playing the exhibition games.

It's more than people in the travelling party who don't seem to have a particular reason for being there - see my previous post.

I do, in the absence of an explanation as to where the money goes

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 27, 2019, 11:05:32 AM

I know that.

The players will get a daily allowance I'd suggest and I'm basing that on what we got when travelling to NYC when they were in the old Ulster hurling championship, but I'd hazard it's a lot more than the $40 a day I got back in the noughties.

heffo

Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2019, 01:59:19 PM

I know that.

The players will get a daily allowance I'd suggest and I'm basing that on what we got when travelling to NYC when they were in the old Ulster hurling championship, but I'd hazard it's a lot more than the $40 a day I got back in the noughties.

International rules daily allowance was €100 a day back in the early 00's

johnnycool

Quote from: heffo on November 27, 2019, 02:33:58 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2019, 01:59:19 PM

I know that.

International rules daily allowance was €100 a day back in the early 00's
What? The durty bastids...
Wait till I see Seany Kelly the Kerry hoor who was out on one of those trips....

toby47

Anyone watch the Sunday game last night?

What was the thoughts on the GPA strike to the media over expenses?

Tom Parsons gave the argument for the strike, Colm O'Rourke argued against it & Gooch sat on the fence.

WT4E

Quote from: toby47 on March 14, 2022, 04:36:40 PM
Anyone watch the Sunday game last night?

What was the thoughts on the GPA strike to the media over expenses?

Tom Parsons gave the argument for the strike, Colm O'Rourke argued against it & Gooch sat on the fence.

I would agree with O'Rourke

65c for 3 to 4 sessions a week is ample - training teams more than that is defeating the idea of the sport and he makes a valid point about 97% of the people playing the game don't get anything.

Let them pull all there players and let all counties field teams with players not associated to the GPA..... I bet it would be more entertaining championship!!!! :)

APM

Watched it!

Few thoughts.

First, talking about the GAA as if GPA members are not members of the GAA.  I cannot stand this. It is presented as if the GAA is a separate entity that is taking advantage of the players. 

Second, it was clear there were a number of prepared lines to curry favour with the public and one was, look at the money the GAA is making. This was mentioned at least twice.

Third, they seem to forget that the players are privileged to play for their counties - if they do not enjoy it, why don't they stop. No one is making them play what is an amateur sport. 

Fourth, how many teams are collectively training more than four nights a week?  Why would four nights not be enough to cover expenses.  To leave it open ended would be to open it to abuse or semi-professionalism as was rightly pointed out by O'Rourke. What is the GPA after here?

Finally, the GAA is 100% correct to resist GPA is demanding.  I have no doubt that this is a long term project for some in the GPA where this is the thin end of the wedge.  They will continually ask for more. 

Certain guru's were critical of O'Rourke after his comments last night.  Look where this increasingly professional approach and these gurus have taken the game - to a point where many people are complaining that it isn't worth watching. 

You have to ask what is it all about?

But the GAA have a problem: 

Clubs and Counties have opened the door to every Tom, Dick and Harry to suck money out of the system, either directly from the GAA or through communities that fundraise.  GAA clubs and counties have been foolish enough to pay it, whether it is for management, coaching, coaching coaches, video analysis and all sorts of other business ventures. 

The GAA has let all of this go and why would anyone be surprised when the players want a piece of the action. 

The GAA needs to have a damn good look at what it now means to be an amateur organisation and it needs to renew its commitment to amateurism. 

tyrone08

Quote from: APM on March 14, 2022, 05:03:25 PM
Watched it!

Few thoughts.

First, talking about the GAA as if GPA members are not members of the GAA.  I cannot stand this. It is presented as if the GAA is a separate entity that is taking advantage of the players. 

Second, it was clear there were a number of prepared lines to curry favour with the public and one was, look at the money the GAA is making. This was mentioned at least twice.

Third, they seem to forget that the players are privileged to play for their counties - if they do not enjoy it, why don't they stop. No one is making them play what is an amateur sport. 

Fourth, how many teams are collectively training more than four nights a week?  Why would four nights not be enough to cover expenses.  To leave it open ended would be to open it to abuse or semi-professionalism as was rightly pointed out by O'Rourke. What is the GPA after here?

Finally, the GAA is 100% correct to resist GPA is demanding.  I have no doubt that this is a long term project for some in the GPA where this is the thin end of the wedge.  They will continually ask for more. 

Certain guru's were critical of O'Rourke after his comments last night.  Look where this increasingly professional approach and these gurus have taken the game - to a point where many people are complaining that it isn't worth watching. 

You have to ask what is it all about?

Clubs and Counties have opened the door to every Tom, Dick and Harry to suck money out of the system, either directly from the GAA or through communities that fundraise.  GAA clubs and counties have been foolish enough to pay it, whether it is for management, coaching, coaching coaches, video analysis and all sorts of other business ventures. 

The GAA has let all of this go and why would anyone be surprised when the players want a piece of the action. 

The GAA needs to have a damn good look at what it now means to be an amateur organisation and it needs to renew its commitment to amateurism.

I suppose the counter argument is that there are huge amounts of people from within the top gaa hierarchy and including strength and conditioning coaches, physios, commentators etc etc all making money from the GAA while the players who we psy to watch are making very little.

I do however agree with a restriction on training, it gets to the stage where more training has a negative effect.

iorras

Quote from: APM on March 14, 2022, 05:03:25 PM
Watched it!

Absolutely spot on, I'm managing my local adult football team this year, both myself and the lad who is in as coach with me are local and don't want nor will we receive any money. Maybe we'll have an allright season and someone will say thanks at the AGM or club social. But sitting through last years AGMs its a bit gauling when I see the sums that were handed over last season and in other seasons for management and coaching. I don't want any money but wtf are clubs paying these people for? I know the answer is "success" but 90% of them arent successful, its a huge drain on clubs not to mention the county board finances for the big bucks IC manager.
also its only a matter of time before revenue get their teeth into this, its on the annual financial report of every club in the country

seafoid

It may just be shadow boxing ahead of negotiations.
Money isn't flúirseach in a lot of homes and whatever is agreed must be sustainable.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

I know it's easy for younger lads on Twitter to roar dinosaur at O'Rourke and that he is living in the past BUT do the GPA not preach about work/life balance.
So, should the GPA be having a go at the county managers flogging their lads - wanting them out five times a week? Should they not be having a go at the same managers for calling trainings at 6am and all that other shite?

Do you know of any lads here from all our counties who have lost out majorly? In fact any lads I know had one or two scholarships and got jobs in decent companies with doors opened for them.

And best of luck to them. I genuinely think they deserve every perk, but there has to be a point where it stops.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.