Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

Cluxton for me is the best in his position for the past number of years and rightly could/should be awarded an All Star each year that Dublin wins the All Ireland. He is so important to how they play and rarely makes a mistake. I think the mistake Beggan made against Tyrone should be a massive black mark against him. That wasn't his job to shoot wildly from distance. It wasn't a goal keeping mistake, like dropping a ball on his own goal line, that would be understandable but he ventured upfield and hoofed the ball to no man and cost Monaghan a chance to draw that game.

In the AIF Cluxton was inch perfect. The mark of a standard out player is that calmness under pressure. Cluxton for me is the common link that makes various Dublin teams over the past number of years so good. When he goes Dublin just won't be as good.

Maroon Manc

Anyone not from Dublin think Cluxton was robbed of one?

seafoid

Clucko has 5 afaik and will probably win another Sam next year.
Beggan may never have another year like 2018. He is a Monaghan legend. They recognised that.

In this era of football empire the All Stars are the only form of recognition available to non Dub players. And it is so subjective. Not dubjective.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 01, 2018, 10:06:07 AM

Nah. He was robbed last year but what Beggan was doing this year was unprecedented and while Cluxtons kickouts were masterful as usual, he made a few mistakes outside that

redhandofgod

yes, monaghan got 3?? and they couldnt even win ulster after defeating a weakened tyrone team in the first round.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on November 01, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
From a Galway point of view I was pretty certain we'd get a single All Star.
Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.

Shane Walsh will feel hard done by, he kept Galway in the Connacht final when all around were playing badly, Burke is excellent but I didn't think he was the best Galway player this year.

Beggan was excellent this year, Cluxton could have definitely got it but I don't think he was robbed.
That being said Cluxton not getting any All Star in the last 5 years is clearly absurd though. The years Clarke and Kealy got awards over him were far worse snubs than Beggan this year.

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2018, 08:46:20 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 01, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 08:08:35 AM
Monaghan got more than Tyrone which says a lot about where Tyrone really are at the moment in the eyes of the selection group

Meh. Beat Donegal comfortably on their own pitch and got past monaghan on an off day. Wouldn't fear any of them next year.
Donegal comfortably? About 8 minutes was comfortable. You were behind the rest.

It was a comfortable win away from home
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

Tyrone are probably more a unit. They have some very good players but they don't seem to be a team where one or two will really stand out every day for them. Donegal have that in Gallagher and McHugh. Monaghan in O'Connell , McManus and Beggan.

It was subs that swung it for them against Donegal late on and having more depth - not that comfortable a win.

I would agree with an fhairche abu. I don't think it's an outrage Cluxton didn't get one this year but he should have got one several other years. He's one of the most influential players in the game and has changed the shape of the game this last 10 years with a new role for goalies kickouts. I also thought Walsh instead of Burke.

seafoid

Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.
1 All Star is a sign of where the team is at. I think the last All Star was 2003.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 11:17:06 AM
1 All Star is a sign of where the team is at. I think the last All Star was 2003.
Yes was manager Kevin Walsh. Could have got Ian Burke at 3/1 to win one, i recall reading somewhere that Burke was more involved in scores than any other Galway forward (created or scored) and maybe that's why he got the nod over Shane Walsh.

Rory Beggan was odds on to win one but then again so was Tiernan McCann and he didn't get one.

Duine Eile

Like you I thought we'd get one and it'd go to either Comer or Walsh. In saying that I was delighted  Ian Burke was nominated but thought the role he plays would rule him out seeing as he doesn't shoot the lights out every day but if you look at the amount of Galway scores he had a hand in this summer its phenomenal, I think I saw somewhere on twitter he either scored or had a role in over a third of Galway's scores in the championship. Big night for the Burke family tomorrow night with Daithí nearly certain to get one on the hurling team also.

The Hill is Blue

Historians of Gaelic football will surely wonder how the most   influential footballer on one of the greatest teams ever was not awarded an All Star in any one four successive years in which he lifted the Sam Maguire as captain. Stephen Cluxton is far more than just a goalkeeper.

A grave injustice.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

mup

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 01, 2018, 12:06:05 PM
Historians of Gaelic football will surely wonder how the most   influential footballer on one of the greatest teams ever was not awarded an All Star in any one four successive years in which he lifted the Sam Maguire as captain. Stephen Cluxton is far more than just a goalkeeper.

A grave injustice.

Sure why didn't tell me before? I never knew that the captain of the winning AI team automatically receives an All Star.

The Hill is Blue

What other goalkeeper over the last four years has dictated the course of games the way that Stephen Cluxton has?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

mup

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 01, 2018, 12:27:35 PM
What other goalkeeper over the last four years has dictated the course of games the way that Stephen Cluxton has?

Rory Beggan, David Clarke and Brendan Kealy - obviously.