?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Squareball71

Quote from: theticklemister on April 04, 2018, 10:12:49 PM
One really sad result from tonight was Ardmore's no score to 6-22 for Limavady.

They have been struggling for a while and hope this is not going to be like this for the rest of the year.

Well done to Swatragh beating Ballinderry.

We drew with vale and probably a fair result. Proper 'first game of the year' craic.

The lads who turned out for Ardmore have to be given credit for not giving up right up until the final whistle but it wasn't very nice to watch.

drillsergeant

Quote from: Squareball71 on April 05, 2018, 12:34:28 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 04, 2018, 10:12:49 PM
One really sad result from tonight was Ardmore's no score to 6-22 for Limavady.

They have been struggling for a while and hope this is not going to be like this for the rest of the year.

Well done to Swatragh beating Ballinderry.

We drew with vale and probably a fair result. Proper 'first game of the year' craic.

The lads who turned out for Ardmore have to be given credit for not giving up right up until the final whistle but it wasn't very nice to watch.

Couldn't agree more, fair play to Ardmore for not conceding the fixture, plenty others would off. But it's extremely sad to see scoreline like this. However on a other note great result for Swatragh, think lot folk underestimating them, they have alot great young players. Finally it maybe to early to make predictions but think Kilrea will struggle this season, wouldn't be surprised if they go down.

toby47

Good wins for Swatragh, Newbridge and Greenlough - all of whom would have been described as relegation candidates. I fancy Swatragh and Newbridge to stay up. I think Glenullin, Claudy and still Greenlough are favourites to finish in the bottom 4 at the minute. Teams like Kilrea, Dungiven and Bellaghy could be competing to stay out of the 4th relegation spot.

I know its very early and I still see them as a very good team but are Ballinderry no longer Slaughtneil's main challengers?

Coleraine to win the league for me as Slaughtneil will be similar to last year and won't take the league seriously until July time.

oakleaflad

Fair play to Ardmore for fielding but you'd have to worry about the future of their club. They have little to nothing at underage level and if their players have to go to other clubs to play their underage football will they come back? Hopefully they can be more competitive against other Junior clubs throughout the year.

On another note Slaughtneil have their manager.

BurstThatBall

Can I ask what folk think of County Development squads ??  Is it right to put 13, 14, 15 year olds up above others while they are still physically developing ! Surely U17/18 is time enough ?  Let the clubs/schools develop kids at a younger age - they are doing a good job currently I believe !
With the decline of our county senior team to Div 4....  are these structures really working ?
And with our county coaching manager in Australia ... anyone know who is paying for that trip and what his remit is for this trip ??  Is it to further help these county development squads ? Bring back ideas and help Derry football improve....any thoughts ??

BackInTheGame

I always thought they made sense when I was growing up, getting the talented lads up to train together and improve their game. The problem I have with it now is that very few players seem to be making the minor/u21/senior sides if they haven't come through that system (I don't have numbers or anything like that, that's an anecdotal observation so am open to being proven wrong) so we could be missing out on players due to reputation over ability.

I guess they sort of promote a cliquey culture at that age. It's a good thing for the lads involved and probably extremely unhelpful to those not involved, so I'm not certain if they're worthwhile or if, as has been suggested in several recent opinion pieces, it would be more beneficial for the whole county if the development squads were scrapped and the instead there was more coaching of the clubs by Derry coaches.

honthecounty

Quote from: BurstThatBall on April 05, 2018, 02:33:18 PM
Can I ask what folk think of County Development squads ??  Is it right to put 13, 14, 15 year olds up above others while they are still physically developing ! Surely U17/18 is time enough ?  Let the clubs/schools develop kids at a younger age - they are doing a good job currently I believe !
With the decline of our county senior team to Div 4....  are these structures really working ?
And with our county coaching manager in Australia ... anyone know who is paying for that trip and what his remit is for this trip ??  Is it to further help these county development squads ? Bring back ideas and help Derry football improve....any thoughts ??

a lot is made of the lack of quality in the intermediate and junior levels within the county, but there is a lot of players that are quality players with the right coaching at underage could be fine county players. I don't see much being done to promote younger ones to commit to playing the game at this level especially in smaller clubs, why not trial the kerry way of regional teams competing in the senior championship giving players the chance to stand out in big crowds against the best players in the county. Coming from a small junior club myself i look at the All Ireland Junior Championship played out of 3 provinces and ask why Ulster Gaa dont look at this as a way to promote the games at this level or. I know that my chances of playing for my county at senior level is slim playing junior football but i know pulling on the Derry jersey and any level would be a privilege.

Waataboutyee

Predictions for the weekend games?

H & A Mechanical Services H&A Mechanical Services ACFL Division 1

2 30 PM Swatragh  --- --- Glenullin  SWATRAGH
2 30 PM Ballinascreen  --- --- Sean O'Leary GAC Newbridge BRIDGE
2 30 PM John Mitchel's GAC, Claudy  --- --- Lavey  LAVEY
2 30 PM The Loup  --- --- O'Donovan Rossa GAC  MFELT
2 30 PM Kilrea  --- --- Glen  GLEN
2 30 PM Slaughtneil  --- --- Ballinderry SLAUGHTNEIL 
2 30 PM St Oliver Plunkett's GAC, Greenlough  --- --- Coleraine  COLERAINE

H &A Mechanical Services H&A Mechanical Services ACFL Division 2

2 30 PM Steelstown Brian Og's  --- --- St Malachy's Castledawson  OGS
2 30 PM St Marys Slaughtmanus GAC  --- --- Craigbane  CRAIGBANE
2 30 PM Banagher  --- --- Faughanvale  BANAGHER
2 30 PM St Michael's GAC Lissan  --- --- Desertmartin DESERTMARTIN
2 30 PM Doire Trasna  --- --- Drum  DRUM

H & A Mechanical Services H&A Mechanical Services ACFL Division 3

2 00 PM Doire Colmcille  --- --- Limavady Wolfhounds  LIMAVADY
2 00 PM Magilligan  --- --- Glack   GLACK
2 00 PM Ogra Colmcille  --- --- Sean Dolans OGRA
2 00 PM St Mary's Ardmore  --- --- Moneymore GAC MONEYMORE 

RedandBlacks

H & A Mechanical Services H&A Mechanical Services ACFL Division 1

2 30 PM Ballinascreen  --- --- Sean O'Leary GAC Newbridge SCREEN
2 30 PM The Loup  --- --- O'Donovan Rossa GAC  LOUP

2 30 PM Steelstown Brian Og's  --- --- St Malachy's Castledawson  OGS
2 30 PM St Marys Slaughtmanus GAC  --- --- Craigbane  SMANUS
2 30 PM St Michael's GAC Lissan  --- --- Desertmartin LISSAN
2 30 PM Doire Trasna  --- --- Drum  DRUM

theticklemister

For all the people at matches on Wednesday there- how many Black Cards did the referee give. Could have been three in our game but none was given.

quiganmaster

2 30 PM Ballinascreen  --- --- Sean O'Leary GAC Newbridge Bridge
2 30 PM John Mitchel's GAC, Claudy  --- --- Lavey  Lavey
2 30 PM The Loup  --- --- O'Donovan Rossa GAC  Rosa

2 30 PM Steelstown Brian Og's  --- --- St Malachy's Castledawson  Steelstown
2 30 PM Doire Trasna  --- --- Drum  TraSna

oakleaflad

2 30 PM Ballinascreen  --- --- Sean O'Leary GAC Newbridge SCREEN
2 30 PM The Loup  --- --- O'Donovan Rossa GAC  MFELT

2 30 PM Steelstown Brian Og's  --- --- St Malachy's Castledawson  STEELSTOWN
2 30 PM Doire Trasna  --- --- Drum  TRASNA

RedandBlacks

Quote from: theticklemister on April 06, 2018, 08:48:32 AM
For all the people at matches on Wednesday there- how many Black Cards did the referee give. Could have been three in our game but none was given.

There was one fore Foreglen. Lissan lad rugby tackled through on nets. coulda been a red in fairness

tbrick18

Quote from: honthecounty on April 05, 2018, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: BurstThatBall on April 05, 2018, 02:33:18 PM

a lot is made of the lack of quality in the intermediate and junior levels within the county, but there is a lot of players that are quality players with the right coaching at underage could be fine county players. I don't see much being done to promote younger ones to commit to playing the game at this level especially in smaller clubs, why not trial the kerry way of regional teams competing in the senior championship giving players the chance to stand out in big crowds against the best players in the county. Coming from a small junior club myself i look at the All Ireland Junior Championship played out of 3 provinces and ask why Ulster Gaa dont look at this as a way to promote the games at this level or. I know that my chances of playing for my county at senior level is slim playing junior football but i know pulling on the Derry jersey and any level would be a privilege.

On the topic of Kerry, I was told by a Kerry man last year that they work their dev squads differently. Here we have the "best" underage players from clubs on the dev squads. In Kerry they push the mid-tiered players from clubs to the dev squads. That in turn gives the "best" players in clubs more competition within their own club and develops a wider range of players. I thought it was a very good idea myself.

toby47

2 30 PM Swatragh  --- --- Glenullin                                             SWATRAGH
2 30 PM Ballinascreen  --- --- Sean O'Leary GAC Newbridge          DRAW
2 30 PM John Mitchel's GAC, Claudy  --- --- Lavey                        LAVEY
2 30 PM The Loup  --- --- O'Donovan Rossa GAC                          MAGHERAFELT
2 30 PM Kilrea  --- --- Glen                                                         GLEN
2 30 PM Slaughtneil  --- --- Ballinderry                                        SLAUGHTNEIL 
2 30 PM St Oliver Plunkett's GAC, Greenlough  --- --- Coleraine     COLERAINE

2 30 PM Steelstown Brian Og's  --- --- St Malachy's Castledawson   STEELSTOWN
2 30 PM St Marys Slaughtmanus GAC  --- --- Craigbane                 SLAUGHTMANUS
2 30 PM Banagher  --- --- Faughanvale                                         BANAGHER
2 30 PM St Michael's GAC Lissan  --- --- Desertmartin                    DRAW
2 30 PM Doire Trasna  --- --- Drum                                               DOIRE TRASNA

2 00 PM Doire Colmcille  --- --- Limavady Wolfhounds                     LIMAVADY
2 00 PM Magilligan  --- --- Glack                                                   GLACK
2 00 PM Ogra Colmcille  --- --- Sean Dolans                                   OGRA COLMCILLE
2 00 PM St Mary's Ardmore  --- --- Moneymore GAC                       MONEYMORE