€200,000........

Started by thejuice, December 07, 2008, 08:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Why don't they just sell tickets costing an extra fiver which carry the right to invade the pitch!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StGallsGAA

Who exactly is bringing these claims? 

If I decide to run onto the pitch to celebrate depite the repeated warnings in the porgramme and over the PA how can I hold Croker Park to account for falling over?  Sound like a crap legal tem they have if they are settling such cclaims.

Hardy

You go ahead, then and indulge your rare victorious feeling and don't let anyone interfere with your perceived right to go where you like, when you like, regardless of the danger or cost to others, the damage it will cause or the requests of your peers in the organisation not to. And don't be worrying now about that €200,000 - sure let someone else worry about that.

cornafean

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 08, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

If I decide to run onto the pitch to celebrate depite the repeated warnings in the porgramme and over the PA how can I hold Croker Park to account for falling over?  Sound like a crap legal team they have if they are settling such cclaims.

My thoughts exactly. Why not get some of the renowned legal experts among the GAA's own ranks to help sorting this out?

If I trip and fall in Supermacs I can expect to face a vigorous defence if I lodge a claim against the company. The GAA should take a leaf out of their book. If we roll over every time someone claims compo, then we may as well fold up the tent in every club in the country as well as in Croke Park.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: marty88 on December 08, 2008, 12:36:19 AM
Over €5,000,000

Thats how much gate receipts are for the all Ireland final when there is these invasions happen.

My God a 4% loss is serious money to be losing in anyone's language for something that can be controlled....

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2008, 01:42:00 PM
Why don't they just sell tickets costing an extra fiver which carry the right to invade the pitch!!

So hat - they'll have stewards at the entrances to the pitch looking at tickets -

"I'm sorry Sir - You don't have the right to enter the pitch to support your team after winning the AI - Please step aside and let the other 200 people like you get a chance for me to turn them away...."

I know your thinking outside the box Armaghniac - But that would be chaos

RedandGreenSniper

Ok I know there are some good arguments in favour of stopping invasions but I think it is one of the most heart warming and genuine sights in the GAA when a county makes a breakthrough success, be it on All-Ireland final day in Croker or provincial success, county title success etc.
Armagh and Tyrone All-Ireland successes, Laois and Westmeath winning Leinster, Sligo winning Connacht and numerous 'unfashionable' clubs winning county senior titles have all brought about emotional pitch invasions.
The players and their supporters mixing together, savouring the moment. It sums up a lot about the GAA - it is not just about the players, its about a wider sense of identity for anyone with any association to the success and allowing them all on the pitch together after they've reached their promised land is something I think we can't afford to lose.

Also, like some posters say, the GAA could easily be a bit more savvy when it comes to claims from those people who take advantage of moments like this
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 08, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

If I decide to run onto the pitch to celebrate depite the repeated warnings in the porgramme and over the PA how can I hold Croker Park to account for falling over?  Sound like a crap legal tem they have if they are settling such cclaims.

Easy known you're from the North St Gall.
The legal system here is that the landowner is responsible for any damage to anyone that occurs on his property. If I break into someones house and cut my arm I can ,ost likely successfully sue the householder !!!!
Doesnt matter how much the claimant is at fault - sure silly things like personal responsibility cant be allowed to get in the way of the legal profession making it's fortune  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty88

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on December 08, 2008, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: marty88 on December 08, 2008, 12:36:19 AM
Over €5,000,000

Thats how much gate receipts are for the all Ireland final when there is these invasions happen.

My God a 4% loss is serious money to be losing in anyone's language for something that can be controlled....

I disagree. I picked out the gate receipts for one game.

Pitch invasions happen at 10 games over the course of the county season, so in actual fact its a lot less that 4% per game.

Running on to the pitch is part of the GAA's culture, I hope we're not trying to destroy it for the sack of a few quid.
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

passedit

QuoteCROWD invasions at Croke Park are costing the GAA €200,000 per year in insurance claims and are shortening the lifespan of the pitch, which brings a further cost.

I'd assume that the claims are defended rigorously by the insurance company. The real cost to the GAA is the premiums is it not?

As for invasions, never got them myself, i'm usually half way through my first pint in Gills by the time the cup's lifted.
Don't Panic

thejuice

Quote from: passedit on December 09, 2008, 09:47:36 AM
QuoteCROWD invasions at Croke Park are costing the GAA €200,000 per year in insurance claims and are shortening the lifespan of the pitch, which brings a further cost.

I'd assume that the claims are defended rigorously by the insurance company. The real cost to the GAA is the premiums is it not?
As for invasions, never got them myself, i'm usually half way through my first pint in Gills by the time the cup's lifted.

Thats what I would imagine. I do like the pitch invasions and I dont find fault with anyone who took part in them, like I did myself in 96, but is it really worth that €200,000?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

corn02

Quote from: thejuice on December 09, 2008, 11:50:58 AM

Thats what I would imagine. I do like the pitch invasions and I dont find fault with anyone who took part in them, like I did myself in 96, but is it really worth that €200,000?

People seem to think that they would be missing out, but the fact of the matter is that if they were FORCED to stay in the stands, they would enjoy it just as much.

AFS

Quote from: corn02 on December 09, 2008, 05:00:18 PM
Quote from: thejuice on December 09, 2008, 11:50:58 AM

People seem to think that they would be missing out, but the fact of the matter is that if they were FORCED to stay in the stands, they would enjoy it just as much.

No you wouldn't. I'm undecided as to whether its worth paying so much for, but its silly to suggest that there isn't extra enjoyment gained from getting onto the pitch after a big victory.

Hardy

Why is it silly? I've experienced both and I much preferred the off-pitch celebrations in 1999. They went on much longer, and I got to raise the cup as Graham Geraghty spent at least half an hour walking around the perimeter, letting anyone who wanted have a grab of the cup.

I'm sure my perception is not too much coloured by the fact that I had my pocket picked in the on-pitch crush in 1988.

AFS

Well its silly to suggest that everyone would enjoy off field celebrations as much. I suppose I'm equally silly to suggest that everyone wouldn't enjoy off field celebrations as much :-\.

Yours is a personal experience Hardy, I have my own different personal experiences of comparisons between on/off field celebrations, however I think I'm fairly secure with the assumption that if the cost factor was eliminated the vast majority of GAA fans would favour on field celebrations. How else do you explain pitch invasions at the end of practically every championship success, at any level, in every county in Ireland, for as long back as anyone can remember?