Kay Burley at it again

Started by red hander, February 17, 2010, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Sky News presenter Kay Burley was forced to make an on-air apology today after mistaking a tribute to Ash Wednesday on American vice president Joe Biden's forehead for a 'large bruise'.
The controversial Miss Burley, 49, made the comments during a conversation with the news channel's U.S. correspondent, Greg Milam.
When made aware of her ignorance during a commercial break, Miss Burley then compounded her insulting words by saying: 'I've said three Hail Marys, everything is going to be fine.'

Mr Biden is a devout Catholic who was marking the first day of Lent with a cross of ashes symbol.
The profoundly holy day in the calendar of the Church of Rome derives its name from the practice of smearing ash on the forehead as a sign of repentance.

The ashes used are typically gathered after the Palm Crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned.

They are then mixed with oil and applied first by the minister who presides at the service to their own forehead in the sign of the cross, and then to the heads of his congregants.

But Mr Burley, who suggested by her comments that she was a lapsed Catholic, appeared to have forgotten this well known fact.
While her colleague Mr Milam concentrated on talking about a fiscal stimulus package being unveiled by Mr Biden in Washington, Miss Burley was more interested in the 'nasty' brown mark.

The presenter recently left Peter Andre in tears after he was questioned about his ex-wife's new marriage and his children
Suggesting that the 'large bruise' might be caused by an accident at the Winter Olympics in Canada, she encouraged Mr Milam to find out.
Later Miss Burley admitted: 'I know I'm a very bad Catholic. I know I should know that today is Ash Wednesday and that's why he'd got ash across his forehead. I've said three Hail Marys, everything is going to be fine.'

There are more than 1.1billion Roman Catholics in the world, with more than 4million of them living in Britain.

Because of its huge global influence, the religion's practices and traditions are known and respected throughout the world.
This is particularly so in Britain and the U.S.A, where 67-year-old Mr Biden is just one of many American Catholics who have reached high office. The most famous was John F. Kennedy – president from 1961 until his assassination in 1963.
Miss Burley has been responsible for a number of inappropriate on-air comments in the past, including ones about the U.S..

During the suicide attacks on three buildings in New York and Washington on September 11th 2001, she announced: 'If you're just joining us, the entire eastern seaboard of the United States has been decimated by a terrorist attack.'
Her on-the-road behaviour has also raised eyebrows. In 2008 she was filmed placing her hands around the neck of a female photographer who had allegedly barged into her outside a London court.

pintsofguinness

when is she going to be sacked? She's clearly an idiot.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stephenite

I didn't know it was Ash Wednesday, or care.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ross4life

simple mistake by someone who's not a Roman Catholic
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ziggysego on February 17, 2010, 10:46:59 PM
FFS, it was a genuine mistake.

I don't know Ziggy... she should be stoned to death for that one  :o

red hander

She does come across as a bit of a bitch ... apparently despised by her colleagues

mylestheslasher

I think it was funny and she didn't mean any insult by it.

pintsofguinness

She was looking to make the headlines.  A catholic, no matter if they're lapsed, doesnt make a mistake like that. 

If it was anyone else no one would pass any remarks but she's got a history of being an idiot.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

I'd say she did it deliberately. She strikes me as an odious piece of work.

NAG1

Try making the same kind of mistake about a jew or a muslim live on tv and try and see the reaction!

T Fearon

Guy on a local radio station up here yesterday morning recounted the true story of a woman, of no religious persuasion, entering a shop in Belfast a few years ago on Ash Wednesday, and rubbed the ashes of a shop assistant's forward telling her "there's a bit of dirt on your forehead dear!" :D :D

Kay Burley administering her own penance of three hail mary's is innovative, a sort of self service confession, saving time for both priests and parishioners. ;D