China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 20, 2020, 05:14:49 PM
Sweden's stats looking pretty decent on Sky News there for a Herd Immunity type approach?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

Some country was going to try it, though they would have less populated areas than UK and France

I've been to Sweden, their cities are not sprawling concrete jungles compared to the likes of London, Madrid, New York etc with high rise tower blocks etc.

Stockholm would be small enough - Dublin population wise is bigger. After that, Gothenberg and Malmo wouldn't have much about them either - Malmo infact is only a bridge away from Copenhagen so it's not like they are cocooned away either from the rest of the world.

Milltown Row2

Could it be a case when they phase in the re opening, that they do it based on population density and local hospital capacity?

There must be places (providing they get no visitors for a period) that could function using social distancing measures but bring back in some normality, dome rural schools are small enough with numbers to bring in pupils gradually.

There has to be some light at the end of this tunnel!

Obviously over 70's stay put and nursing homes need extra attention
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 09:42:39 AM
Could it be a case when they phase in the re opening, that they do it based on population density and local hospital capacity?

There must be places (providing they get no visitors for a period) that could function using social distancing measures but bring back in some normality, dome rural schools are small enough with numbers to bring in pupils gradually.

There has to be some light at the end of this tunnel!

Obviously over 70's stay put and nursing homes need extra attention

Was thinking about this the other day, sooner or later the Governments must get everything open. It seems mad they would crash the economy for this when literally you or I as we read could have the virus and be perfectly fine. Obviously as you say the care and nursing homes need to be run militarily from here on as that is the major issue right now.

We don't have cures for alot of other virus' if we think about it, HIV etc. I think the time will come when demand dictates life returns to 'normal'. Obviously the thought of that will annoy quite a few but as you say, there needs to be positivity, all we are getting is the absolute deluge of negative news. 

Seen this morning that German Sky is already advertising the return of the Bundesliga.

Smurfy123

Lads dare I say it but it has not been anywhere near as bad as first predicted
Now I say that with my upmost condolences with the family's whose loved ones have passed away
Robbie Swann said this morning that his early predictions of close to 2000 deaths are massively off the mark
ICU beds are only 40% full
PPE seems well under control compared to the UK
Hospitals across the north are pretty much empty(a lot to do with no one going to A an E)
Now I know a lot of this has got to do with lockdown happening but has this been somewhat of an over reaction? How many of the 200 had underlying problems?
Now our biggest problem now is our care homes and not the general public
We have paralysed the economy which will result in deaths and bankruptcy for years
Just my thoughts don't eat the head of me

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 21, 2020, 10:03:40 AM

Was thinking about this the other day, sooner or later the Governments must get everything open. It seems mad they would crash the economy for this when literally you or I as we read could have the virus and be perfectly fine. Obviously as you say the care and nursing homes need to be run militarily from here on as that is the major issue right now.

We don't have cures for alot of other virus' if we think about it, HIV etc. I think the time will come when demand dictates life returns to 'normal'. Obviously the thought of that will annoy quite a few but as you say, there needs to be positivity, all we are getting is the absolute deluge of negative news. 

Normal activity does not put you at risk of HIV. You might have no risk from the virus, but you cannot be allowed threaten other people either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on April 21, 2020, 10:14:27 AM

Normal activity does not put you at risk of HIV. You might have no risk from the virus, but you cannot be allowed threaten other people either.

Agree completely, but the conversation probably is now close to happening where we start to think about a trade off for returning to normal v those most at risk.

As MR2 stated the Care Homes and over 70s are most in need of the help and care - how do we go about that whilst preparing to return to normal? That will be the long term thing that sticks with us over this, in Ireland anway.

Gaafan2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 21, 2020, 10:13:15 AM
Now I say that with my upmost condolences with the family's whose loved ones have passed away
Robbie Swann said this morning that his early predictions of close to 2000 deaths are massively off the mark
Hospitals across the north are pretty much empty(a lot to do with no one going to A an E)
Now I know a lot of this has got to do with lockdown happening but has this been somewhat of an over reaction? How many of the 200 had underlying problems?
We have paralysed the economy which will result in deaths and bankruptcy for years

+1

johnnycool

I still think they're learning how this virus transmits itself so readily in crowds and whilst we've been reasonably lucky in terms of per capita deaths to date there'll be changes no matter what.
As much as the 70+'s are impacted the most and a lot of people are asymptomatic or have little more than a bad cough up to pneumonia I think parts of the lockdown will remain like large social or sporting gatherings.

Companies will now need to seriously look at allowing working from home as a viable option for a lot of workers and how desks/work areas are arranged and so on.
Cash transactions in shops will drop off and probably will remain a lot lower from now on.

Spacing on public transport etc etc also will need reviewed.

ned

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 21, 2020, 09:35:34 AM
Sweden's stats looking pretty decent on Sky News there for a Herd Immunity type approach?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

Some country was going to try it, though they would have less populated areas than UK and France

I've been to Sweden, their cities are not sprawling concrete jungles compared to the likes of London, Madrid, New York etc with high rise tower blocks etc.

Stockholm would be small enough - Dublin population wise is bigger. After that, Gothenberg and Malmo wouldn't have much about them either - Malmo infact is only a bridge away from Copenhagen so it's not like they are cocooned away either from the rest of the world.

Per capita Sweden is eleventh for deaths, worse than Ireland, better than UK. Also, the Swedish tend to be more compliant and are doing what they are told largely. Wouldn't work the same way here.

naka

Interesting synopsis, wouldn't find a lot of favour here .
I do believe that because the north is somewhat rural it has helped and by and large most people are compliant.
Not sure what is happening in the south .
My own views are that the trashing of the economy will result like  you said and like it did in 2009-2011 in a fair number of deaths/ breakdowns etc  which destroyed many families .
It's a tricky situation for the governments because they need to show a way out of this and Tbf I don't think they know a way out .
Like during  the troubles the brits need to figure out what is the acc so level of deaths .

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

This part is wrong. Nurses still have not got  enough PPE of the correct spec etc. When Murphy announced 5 million pieces few weeks ago we all bought that, but I know for a fact as my wife works in covid 19 ward that the PPE is nowhere near good enough

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ned on April 21, 2020, 11:02:10 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 21, 2020, 09:35:34 AM

Per capita Sweden is eleventh for deaths, worse than Ireland, better than UK. Also, the Swedish tend to be more compliant and are doing what they are told largely. Wouldn't work the same way here.

sweden not doing well at all and the people there are not happy with their govt approach either. doing much worse than ireland, 2.5 as many deaths

Taylor

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 21, 2020, 10:21:11 AM

Agree completely, but the conversation probably is now close to happening where we start to think about a trade off for returning to normal v those most at risk.

As MR2 stated the Care Homes and over 70s are most in need of the help and care - how do we go about that whilst preparing to return to normal? That will be the long term thing that sticks with us over this, in Ireland anway.

Forgetting the high numbers of people not in those groups but have various illness' that are also at risk?

trailer

Quote from: gaafan2 on April 21, 2020, 10:47:41 AM

+1

+2

I'd agree. The numbers are a mess right from the early predictions, to how many are actually infected and have died. The wife (a nurse) says the hospitals are empty and there's literally very little happening. Granted she's not on a Covid ward but some of her friends are and they say similar. I'd expect a controlled and gradual relaxation of restrictions shortly.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 11:31:42 AM
During this pandemic are normal flu deaths being recorded as just that, flu deaths and what is the rate of those since this all started ?

Probably very little as the flu will be getting few chances to spread.

Might have to hold my hands up here:

QuoteNearly 185,000 people have died compared to around 175,000 on average compared to past five years - up until the pandemic hit the death rate was lower than average.

But the figures for year-to-date also show the impact of flu and pneumonia compared to coronavirus.

The number of deaths from flu and pneumonia - at more than 32,000 - is three times higher than the total number of coronavirus deaths this year.

This difference will obviously narrow in the coming weeks as the flu season is coming to an end.

But all of this relies on clinical judgement rather than a diagnostic test. Flu and coronavirus have similar symptoms - cough and fever - and flu is not tested for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

But in saying that - how many of those flu/pneumonia deaths that are occurring outside of hospital have an accompanying COVID test and have COVID down as reason for death if a positive test?

i usse an speelchekor