Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Pity to see Kildare's McDonagh work out the way it did as it looked like they were really on the up. Hurling can be cruel like that as we in antrim know only too well and sometimes the league can be no real barometer. Teams peak at different times etc which I suspect may have happened here.

All the same good to see Down stay up.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2023, 11:16:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 15, 2023, 06:51:09 PM
Kildare have been a big disappointment in the Joe Mc Donagh.

After shooting up in the Christy Ring, they haven't pushed on at all.  Must be a huge gulf between JMcD and CR.   Kildare really needed to stay in the Joe Mc Donagh this year to push forward.

Though with underage going well and Naas going well that they'd have got one result to keep them up.  Down caught them and gave them a lesson.

Down have quality hurlers but lack the physicality against big teams, Kildare in the past have usually been a big team but maybe have dropped in recent years, been a while since I've seen them in fairness.

Down were very poor this year but just had to win 1 match...and that's what happened.

Maybe a year or two too early for Kildare but I thought they'd edge Down.

Huge gap between Mc Donagh and Ring standards. We'll see thst next year again also I'd say.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/16/limerick-face-unexpectedly-crucial-meeting-with-tipperary-in-thurles/

It would have amazed the consensus a month ago were it known that by their third match in the Munster championship, All-Ireland favourites Limerick would be playing for their future.

On Sunday, they head for Thurles to take on a revitalised Tipperary, knowing that they must win to make sure of progressing out of the province they have dominated for the past four years.

"If we don't win on Sunday, we're in trouble," according to county secretary Mike O'Riordan. "Clare are ahead of us on the head-to-head."

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2023, 11:29:47 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/16/limerick-face-unexpectedly-crucial-meeting-with-tipperary-in-thurles/

It would have amazed the consensus a month ago were it known that by their third match in the Munster championship, All-Ireland favourites Limerick would be playing for their future.

On Sunday, they head for Thurles to take on a revitalised Tipperary, knowing that they must win to make sure of progressing out of the province they have dominated for the past four years.

"If we don't win on Sunday, we're in trouble," according to county secretary Mike O'Riordan. "Clare are ahead of us on the head-to-head."

Cork beat Clare in Ennis

Tipp beat Limerick in Thurles

Limerick will be gone

johnnycool

After shooting up in the Christy Ring, they haven't pushed on at all.  Must be a huge gulf between JMcD and CR.   Kildare really needed to stay in the Joe Mc Donagh this year to push forward.

Though with underage going well and Naas going well that they'd have got one result to keep them up.  Down caught them and gave them a lesson.

Down have quality hurlers but lack the physicality against big teams, Kildare in the past have usually been a big team but maybe have dropped in recent years, been a while since I've seen them in fairness.

Down were targeting this game for a few weeks now, lads carrying knocks held off in other games that ultimately weren't going to matter. Beat Kildare and stay up which they did.

I still struggle with why Down play all their home games in Ballycran and always have. It's the smallest pitch in the county and doesn't suit the forwards Down have at their disposal, albeit I know there's a bit of lack of pace in their defence, but not overly.
Tight pitch suits the big, physical lads better than the speedsters.

As much as I'd like Down to claim a few more scalps at this level I think hanging in here is all we can hope for to the next while.

Walt Jabsco

Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2023, 12:04:39 PM

Down were targeting this game for a few weeks now, lads carrying knocks held off in other games that ultimately weren't going to matter. Beat Kildare and stay up which they did.

I still struggle with why Down play all their home games in Ballycran and always have. It's the smallest pitch in the county and doesn't suit the forwards Down have at their disposal, albeit I know there's a bit of lack of pace in their defence, but not overly.

As much as I'd like Down to claim a few more scalps at this level I think hanging in here is all we can hope for to the next while.

Where would you find a more suitable pitch with a good surface in Down for hurling that would suit them JC? Just asking

johnnycool

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on May 16, 2023, 01:40:18 PM

Where would you find a more suitable pitch with a good surface in Down for hurling that would suit them JC? Just asking

Portaferry for a start. Their top pitch holds up well in the winter, no stand though but from a hurling perspective I can live without one.

Liatroim in with an honourable shout, just a bit short for my liking  ;)

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2023, 04:03:04 PM

Portaferry for a start. Their top pitch holds up well in the winter, no stand though but from a hurling perspective I can live without one.

What's wrong with Newry?  Other than not being in the peninsula obviously.

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on May 17, 2023, 02:26:43 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with Newry either. I'm not saying the crowds are any bigger in the Ards than they would be elsewhere and considering the current (for the time being) Manager is a Shamrocks man I was surprised there wasn't more games there.

The stats must back up Ballycran pitch as being better suited for Down, I just don't see that in their personnel as they're a small team in general.

The Premierview Podcast

Most illuminating about pitch's in Down

Full Houses expected in Ennis Sunday and a close to full one in Semple

Also a full house in Carlow tonight for the u20 Leinster final

6 of the Offaly minors from last year starting tonight,

Hurling definitely needs the likes of Offaly back firing

Waterford and Wexford not to fall back

Dublin to play in a Quarter final this year at a minimum

The GAA also be putting in target resources into Counties in the Dubin Commuter Belt such as Kildare and Meath

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2023, 02:30:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 17, 2023, 02:26:43 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with Newry either. I'm not saying the crowds are any bigger in the Ards than they would be elsewhere and considering the current (for the time being) Manager is a Shamrocks man I was surprised there wasn't more games there.

The stats must back up Ballycran pitch as being better suited for Down, I just don't see that in their personnel as they're a small team in general.

Ah fair enough, just thought there might have been an issue with it for whatever reason

Which I couldn't work out - as any time I was there it was top notch

NAG1

Great to see such a turn out last night for the Offaly Wexford U20s. Good lively game as well.

Kudos to Tg4 again, these U20 and Minor matches past few weeks have been great watches.

clonadmad

Quote from: NAG1 on May 18, 2023, 09:43:11 AM
Great to see such a turn out last night for the Offaly Wexford U20s. Good lively game as well.

Kudos to Tg4 again, these U20 and Minor matches past few weeks have been great watches.

TG4 the true home of Gaelic Games

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on May 18, 2023, 09:53:11 AM

Totally.

Cork V Clare in the U20's on Monday night was excellent also.

Fantastic coverage.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on May 18, 2023, 12:11:27 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 18, 2023, 09:53:11 AM

Totally.

Cork V Clare in the U20's on Monday night was excellent also.

Fantastic coverage.

Some of the best games about are the U20 championship as well as the minor ones.

Cork Centre back O'Connor, poised to go to the rugby, he's been close to a few reds the last two games, physicality is good but needs harnessed.

Ben Cunningham, Ger's son is some spud and Clare have some real good hurlers in their ranks also, I've liked their fullback Conneally the last few times I've saw him. Too early for senior though, a few runs out in a national league come 2024 will be soon enough.

Galway minors had held Kilkenny to three points going into the last 5 minutes of the first half in Portloaise, KK managed to get that up to 6 to take the bad look of it and give it a right go but Galway had too much for them. No wonder they didn't want Galway minors in Leinster.