Dublin v Mayo, Croke Park, March 20 (or maybe the 18th, you wouldn't know).

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 14, 2011, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 20, 2011, 11:17:32 PM
Anyone predicting us to win Connacht must be smoking their own and Ming's supply. Not that the standard in Connacht is all that hectic but don't see how we are going to turn around a run of form that is probably going to see us lose every league game this year.

Well if we could turn it around losing 6 out of 7 Divsion three games last year i think Galway can with the returning Meehan,N joyce & PJ

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Roscommon are my bet for Connacht. The only reason we are more favs is cause the bookies are looking that we are home to Leitrim and Roscommon should we win...

The league wasnt of much siginificane last yr ross4life, and it wont have a bearing this yr either imo as its all on the day.

Galway havent a hope and mayo are still poor imo, but i expect mayo to beat Galway. Leitrim will run us close aswell, and id say NY will run ros close but ros always play well against us and they have better squad this yr so i expect them to make final and beat mayo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on March 20, 2011, 11:08:44 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 20, 2011, 10:42:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2011, 10:37:12 PM
So based on that game today (Mayo posters) do you think that Mayo justify their favouritism for the Connacht Championship?

Galway put a bit of a show up today but way off the mark all year, Roscommon are 6/1 to lift it again this year behind Sligo!!

Roscommon are a great bet for me to win Connacht.

We are great odds but that's where it stops! where a Div 4 team while Sligo are Div 2 & Galway,Mayo are Div 1

We managed to pull of almighty shock last summer but where still a long way from competing with the best in connacht.

Who de f**k is the best in Connacht? Never mind competing with them. You re a gas man entirely.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on March 20, 2011, 11:27:35 PM
So based on that game today (Mayo posters) do you think that Mayo justify their favouritism for the Connacht Championship?

Galway put a bit of a show up today but way off the mark all year, Roscommon are 6/1 to lift it again this year behind Sligo!!

We are great odds but that's where it stops! where a Div 4 team while Sligo are Div 2 & Galway,Mayo are Div 1

We managed to pull of almighty shock last summer but where still a long way from competing with the best in connacht.

Who de f**k is the best in Connacht? Never mind competing with them. You re a gas man entirely.

I don't think i need to spell it out whom are the best in Connacht! how about Roscommon swapping divsions. would the high scoring wins for Sligo,Galway,Mayo give them more confidence? we have struggled to win the games thus far.. can you imagine the beatings we would get of likes Tyrone,Meath,Dublin or Cork?

P.S SLIGONIAN, you tried to blow sligo up sky high last year (i didn't buy it) & this year your using reverse psychology.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 20, 2011, 11:17:32 PM
Anyone predicting us to win Connacht must be smoking their own and Ming's supply. Not that the standard in Connacht is all that hectic but don't see how we are going to turn around a run of form that is probably going to see us lose every league game this year.

Standard is not that bad either if they d cop themselves on and not be always playing catchup. Admittedly Galway are losing their league games. So too are Mayo and in our case it looks like we re trying our best to lose them - except the Galway game naturally ::) Is it a ploy to allow us to come in under the radar later.
  But Galway will have changes come championship that will transform them. At least they will be transformed against Mayo. Beat Mayo, they could be good enough to win Connacht, even if they usually cool off a bit after the green and red bloodlust. Lose to Mayo and I d be on ryanair.com in a flash if I were a Galway man. Similarly so if we lose to Galway. As Maurice Fitzgerald said 'there are no second acts in a Mayo Championshipo season' :(

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Its depressing how poor a standard in Connacht has fallen to at the moment. Everyone is convinced that they haven't a hope in hell of winning the Province. Good job there are no Leitrim, London or New York lads on here or they would be trying to claim the lead of the race to the bottom. I personally think Mayo are marginaly the best of a very very poor bunch, but could very easily be overturned by any team in the province, including the exiles.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on March 20, 2011, 11:39:47 PM

I don't think i need to spell it out whom are the best in Connacht! how about Roscommon swapping divsions. would the high scoring wins for Sligo,Galway,Mayo give them more confidence? we have struggled to win the games thus far.. can you imagine the beatings we would get of likes Tyrone,Meath,Dublin or Cork?

P.S SLIGONIAN, you tried to blow sligo up sky high last year (i didn't buy it) & this year your using reverse psychology.

I m sure you know I was rattlin cages. But not sure divisions are of much relevance. Mayo s campaign in Division I - playin some good stuff but being mainly swiped aside - is hardly good preparation for championship. Those that suggested that the league should be sacrificed to look at as many players as possible should take into account the damage that tanking today would have done for morale in the panel. The game was over after 15. To rub salt into wounds when we clawed our way back we were bitch-slapped back down again.
Roscommon, come championship, like at U 21 could have a more realistic team. Especially with some of  those Brigids players. Senan Kilbride would be in any team.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on March 21, 2011, 12:45:39 AM

I m sure you know I was rattlin cages. But not sure divisions are of much relevance. Mayo s campaign in Division I - playin some good stuff but being mainly swiped aside - is hardly good preparation for championship. Those that suggested that the league should be sacrificed to look at as many players as possible should take into account the damage that tanking today would have done for morale in the panel. The game was over after 15. To rub salt into wounds when we clawed our way back we were bitch-slapped back down again.
Roscommon, come championship, like at U 21 could have a more realistic team. Especially with some of  those Brigids players. Senan Kilbride would be in any team.

One of Mayo biggest down falls over the years has been over confidence so a couple of defeats now will be no harm to get them focused for the Championship & i have also said here numerous times... making 7/8 changes every game will never bring consistently.

As for us thanks to the underaged development where moving in the right direction after many awful years at every level so where learning to walk before we can run.

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2011, 01:24:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 21, 2011, 12:45:39 AM

One of Mayo biggest down falls over the years has been over confidence

Yea thats the problem alright. 2006, 2004, 1997, 1996 and 1989. All overconfidence.

Feckin' Kerry and Meath underdogs keep fooling us.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

One of Mayo biggest down falls over the years has been over confidence so a couple of defeats now will be no harm to get them focused for the Championship & i have also said here numerous times... making 7/8 changes every game will never bring consistently.

As for us thanks to the underaged development where moving in the right direction after many awful years at every level so where learning to walk before we can run.
[/quote]

Me arse it is. I've never gone to a match over confident and don't know anyone else who would be c**k d'hoop either......this is Mayo we are talking about.

ross4life

Kinda talking about the management/players more than the fans. Sligo,Meath,Longford championship games to name a few.

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2011, 01:39:59 AM
Kinda talking about the management/players more than the fans. Sligo,Meath,Longford championship games to name a few.
Horse poo of the highest order. That is trying to pigeon hole the results of those games when you have no better explanation, usually done by people outside the county for their own benefit. Situated right next door is the pigeon hole where we are all baying for the blood of every manager that fails to deliver Sam.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Declan

Very strange game altogether. For the first 20 minutes every time the ball went into the Dublin forwards they looked like they would score a goal and then they just switched off. It was like a training session with all the emphasis on the forwards. I've been impressed with Murray's footballing ability this season but today confirmed that he is no IC full back at the business end of the season. I know that lads are saying that a lot of those boys won't be on the first 15 come the summer but jaysus the standard of defending was shocking. Connolly has oodles of talent alright but if I'll wait until he does it in the heat of championship battle before commenting as his style of play indicates a certain laziness.
Some amount of goals alright and loads of free flags plus Horslips were great!!   

ross matt

I like the way this thread has been hijacked in to "which Connacht county can talk themselves down the most"....

The reality is Roscommon would not have came near Dublin or Cork yesterday never mind almost beat them like Mayo and Galway did. Last year was a very welcome over achievement for Ross. Football is definitely going in the right direction in the county but full maturity in to top senior squad is another 2 years off. Like I said before promotion from div 4, competing well with Mayo or Galway in Connacht followed by  a decent run in the back door should be the aim for 2011. I'm not sure where Sligo are at this year but they would also have unfinished business from last season regarding Roscommon.

It's Mayo's title to lose no matter how much they say otherwise. They've  a young intelligent manager who is experimenting with various lineouts of successful underage sides and still managing not to get hammered in div 1. Horan is totally focussed on the championship and will deliver I think.

Galway are Galway. The addittion of one or more exceptional players can transform them (even within a single match never mind a season). Relegation is a forgone conclusion so yesterdays improvement in form is probably a better indication towards championship form. Bradshaw... Meehan... Armstrong.... Joyce..... maybe Nicky etc whether they're all back or some of them can win a match on their own.

So for now the "big two" still look down on the rest of the province. For now....