Dublin GAA

Started by mournerambler, July 15, 2007, 11:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Gilroy reveals plan to unearth talent
Oct 23, 2008

Thursday, October 23.

Pat Gilroy, the new Dublin manager, will begin the process of shaping his panel for the 2009 season at an upcoming regional tournament in the capital.

Vincent's man Gilroy says he has no plans to hold trial matches, but is confident that the new competition, which will be held over two days at the start of November, will uncover the talent needed to inject some new life into a side that suffered an embarrassing 12-point championship defeat to Tyrone in 2008. 

"We're not having trials and we have no plans to have trials," said Gilroy, who was speaking to the Evening Herald at the tournament launch on Wednesday night.

"This gives us a great opportunity to see a lot of players playing at a certain level. It will be a blitz-type tournament and if a guy shows up well in that, it gives us a good opportunity to have a look at him seriously.

"It's like any of the club championship matches. We'll have guys going to league matches and this is just another opportunity for people to show that they're capable of playing at the top level."

The tournament is scheduled to run over the weekend of November 8 and 9 and will be played at Innisfail's ground in Balgriffin, with the county split into six regions to facilitate a blitz-like competition.

Gilroy has already met the panel that played under Paul Caffrey in the championship last year and most of those players will be invited to take part in the tournament, while a total of 120 players from around the county will be invited in total to take part. 

"The current panelists are all allocated teams but after that, the selectors will be talking to different club managers and using their own knowledge to come up with players and make up a panel of twenty," Gilroy added.

The GAA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 10:18:11 AM
will be interesting
doubt if I will go, but you never know
I would prob like to see crokes win mostly because plunketts are neighbours of ours but if they won it wouldnt upset me - there are a few good lads on it too, but in a way I dont really want a team that has bought in a lot of their players to win the Dublin championship either. Its the Na Fianna model all over again !
At least crokes players gravitated to them rather than were bribed.
OK there maybe questions over longford man kavanagh, but the rest of crokes team are natives to the near locality or outsiders that settled round there also.

Crokes may be fav, but are still not gelling as a team it seems. Plunketts will give it a good go and I think will win.

Is there a senior club in dublin with clean hands in terms of its personnel?

certainly not vincents anyway

under the bar

Are there clean hands in Dublin full-stop?  ;D

lynchbhoy

only rory gallagher would be an outsider on our team, and to be honest, he is finding it hard to get his place with the current mgt,
he's getting on in years too I suppose.

with all the jobs and all the money, youd have to expect most clubs would have a lot of country lads playing for them...
it would be crazy to think outherwise...
nothing wrong with that imo

Bomber

This match on the internet anywhere tonight?

ExiledGael

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 05:24:47 PM
only rory gallagher would be an outsider on our team, and to be honest, he is finding it hard to get his place with the current mgt,
he's getting on in years too I suppose.

with all the jobs and all the money, youd have to expect most clubs would have a lot of country lads playing for them...
it would be crazy to think outherwise...
nothing wrong with that imo

Presume that's St Brigid's you're on about. Didn't know he was back again, does he work in Dublin?

gerrykeegan

game was a draw. Replay could be monday
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Zapatista

Must have been a cracker? Any word of when and where the replay is on?

lynchbhoy

Replay on Monday

as for Gallagher, he never left brigids. Took a 'sabbatical' and was told by cavan co board that he had to join a club there,but didnt really have toplay with them.

he transferred back immediately to brigids once cavan were knocked out of the championship.
Hes working in dublin this long time.

Gold

Quote from: Zapatista on October 24, 2008, 08:47:15 AM
Must have been a cracker? Any word of when and where the replay is on?

Game was good, Bernard Brogan is a different class--hes flying at the minute,  a class apart.

Replay Monday at 1930
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Davitt Man

Plunketts were very good in the first half when they ran with the ball into the wind, they were 6-5 up at HT, Ross McConnell was dominating midfield linking up well with his forwards. Crokes couldn't handle Jayo and Berno who caused serious trouble when they got their hands on the ball, jayo nearly scored a goal out of nothing only for a smart save from the keeper. Berno was very direct every time he got the ball he ran straight at griffin who couldn't hold him, berno is too strong for him.

Then 2nd half crokes started to run the ball into the wind and they upped their game considerably compared to their first half showing. McConnell who was the best player on the pitch in the 1st half didn't touch the ball for about 15mins at the start of the 2nd half where Darren Magee came into it big time. Crokes scored a great team goal to put them 1-7 to 7 up. Plunketts were struggling to play with the wind, they abandoned their running possession game and reverted to just kicking the ball long and high which didn't suit them. Then McConnell woke up grabbed a kicked out and drove a monster over the bar from 50 yards, plunketts came into it now again and scored 4 on the bounce to go 1 up, berno and jayo scoring a few class points and Paul brogan who came off the bench chipped in as well. Plunketts went 2 up then crokes came back and levelled again. Then in another great running move from plunketts they had a chance to fist over the bar but the plunketts man went for glory and went for the onion bag, he smacked it off the crossbar or post and berno nearly scrambled home the rebound, that was in injury time your man should have chipped over a point and they would be county champions this morning.

For plunketts, Conor Evans was very steady at full back, McConnell, no.11, Alan brogan, berno and jayo were good.

Crokes were very poor in 1st half and them with the wind, they had Brian Kavanagh playing at 11, he was poor for a county man, I couldn't understand them playing him at 11 with the wind, surely he would have been better placed at 15 and let the ball into him. Magee was poor in first half but better in the 2nd half. Vaughan kicked a few nice frees including a sideline ball. Crokes no.14 davoren was good as well. Johnny Magee came on, he was at 14 didn't do much.

Gold

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 24, 2008, 10:51:13 AM
Plunketts were very good in the first half when they ran with the ball into the wind, they were 6-5 up at HT, Ross McConnell was dominating midfield linking up well with his forwards. Crokes couldn't handle Jayo and Berno who caused serious trouble when they got their hands on the ball, jayo nearly scored a goal out of nothing only for a smart save from the keeper. Berno was very direct every time he got the ball he ran straight at griffin who couldn't hold him, berno is too strong for him.

Then 2nd half crokes started to run the ball into the wind and they upped their game considerably compared to their first half showing. McConnell who was the best player on the pitch in the 1st half didn't touch the ball for about 15mins at the start of the 2nd half where Darren Magee came into it big time. Crokes scored a great team goal to put them 1-7 to 7 up. Plunketts were struggling to play with the wind, they abandoned their running possession game and reverted to just kicking the ball long and high which didn't suit them. Then McConnell woke up grabbed a kicked out and drove a monster over the bar from 50 yards, plunketts came into it now again and scored 4 on the bounce to go 1 up, berno and jayo scoring a few class points and Paul brogan who came off the bench chipped in as well. Plunketts went 2 up then crokes came back and levelled again. Then in another great running move from plunketts they had a chance to fist over the bar but the plunketts man went for glory and went for the onion bag, he smacked it off the crossbar or post and berno nearly scrambled home the rebound, that was in injury time your man should have chipped over a point and they would be county champions this morning.

For plunketts, Conor Evans was very steady at full back, McConnell, no.11, Alan brogan, berno and jayo were good.

Crokes were very poor in 1st half and them with the wind, they had Brian Kavanagh playing at 11, he was poor for a county man, I couldn't understand them playing him at 11 with the wind, surely he would have been better placed at 15 and let the ball into him. Magee was poor in first half but better in the 2nd half. Vaughan kicked a few nice frees including a sideline ball. Crokes no.14 davoren was good as well. Johnny Magee came on, he was at 14 didn't do much.

It was Darren Magee kicked the sideline ball, he tried to kick it into the forwards but the wind carried it over the bar. Vaughan didnt score one difficult free and in fact missed one easy one at the start of the 2nd half from 21 yards out. If i was marking Vaughan id let him shoot all day from play--the greediest footballer i have ever seen
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Davitt Man

Quote from: Gold on October 24, 2008, 12:17:11 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on October 24, 2008, 10:51:13 AM

It was Darren Magee kicked the sideline ball, he tried to kick it into the forwards but the wind carried it over the bar. Vaughan didnt score one difficult free and in fact missed one easy one at the start of the 2nd half from 21 yards out. If i was marking Vaughan id let him shoot all day from play--the greediest footballer i have ever seen

i missed it and someone told me it was vaughan, magee cant shoot at all, he kicked two brutal wides. Vaughan is miles off being a county player IMO

INDIANA

but he can kick 60 yard frees, thats rare in dublin i'm afraid. him and kavanagh don't link up well. fear that plunketts may have lost their chance, crokes will be much better tomorrow.

milltown row

what was the score in the ballyboden game?