Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 07, 2022, 10:00:09 PM
That's what I had in my head, too.
Outside that, I'd also heard Ryan O'Dwyer was the only one who was even interested in the job.
Could be turning into a bit of a fiasco!

Seemingly he was put off after speaking to a few select players and the lack of commitment that would be there for 2023

From the Leinster express article of last week

"Former Tipperary minor and U21 hurling manager Willie Maher has been offered the chance to become Laois senior hurling manager after a meeting of the Laois county board which was held on Tuesday night last.

The Ballingarry man, who led the Tipperary minors to All-Ireland glory back in 2012, has been offered the role on an initial two-year term, with the option of a further year should Maher impress.

Maher is expected to let the Laois county board know his decision by the weekend."

It seems to be amateur in the extreme what the county board have done

Did they expect to bounce Maher into saying yes by releasing this to the press

If they did,it appears to have backfired

No other county conducts the selection of a manager like this

mcwregor

So has Maher actually said no to the job?  Its gone awful quiet.
The player opt out is worse in laois than any other county. Its a poor reflection on us. Inter County hurling is only for a few years and I think the lads that opt out will regret it down the line. Is it a mental weakness that has crept in or why is it always such an issue. I dont mind a lad going travelling, that has to be done but opting out for no apparent reason is disappointing.

Giovanni

Well you're certainly making it more likely that lads will opt out if the setup is not attractive (or, in our case, not there at all).

High Fielder

There are many reasons why lads don't commit. The CB can't take the blame for all of them. But if you're a player with an eye on committing, this uncertainty wouldn't inspire you, would it? Hopefully Maher will be ratified soon

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on September 10, 2022, 10:11:25 AM
There are many reasons why lads don't commit. The CB can't take the blame for all of them. But if you're a player with an eye on committing, this uncertainty wouldn't inspire you, would it? Hopefully Maher will be ratified soon

In 2020 after the high of the Joe McDonogh and running tipp close in an all ireland quarter final

Over 20 hurlers in this county refused to come in under Eddie Brennan

When they did that back then

It tells you all you need to know

burdizzo

I think a lot of those 20 wouldn't have even made the match-day panel.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 10, 2022, 03:02:08 PM
I think a lot of those 20 wouldn't have even made the match-day panel.

At the same time Brennan deemed that based on club performances they were worthy of a call in to be looked at further

That's how it works in most counties

Not laois

Laois man

Another week gone and still nothing on a senior hurling manager crazy.

Giovanni

I assume the silence means that Maher didn't take it?

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Giovanni on September 12, 2022, 01:51:43 PM
I assume the silence means that Maher didn't take it?
Word is that due to a good few prominent players not willing to commit for 2023, maher is not taking it.
We have a few former players with great potential.
Tommy Fitz and seamus dwyer would be a good solid management.  Know the game inside out in laois and would be a huge asset in transitioning young players. Maybe dwyer would bring brian codyvalong with him 🤔

Giovanni

This is the big drawback to an external person. They look at the job mainly from the point of view of what it can do for themselves and their reputation. Generally, an internal person will be more willing to take the cards dealt to him and try to make the best of it for the sake of the county.

I think Eddie Brennan was exceptional in this. He did complain early on about lads not making themselves available but after that he just got stuck in, making the best of what he had and eventually created an environment that encouraged lads to play.

georgedoylesrightleg

yer allnfierce fullla shite all the same lads. willies in da bag

Spiritof86

Willle Maher taking the role . Best of luck to him .

Laois man

Best of luck to Wille Maher👍

clonadmad

Well done to all those involved in securing a new manager

Best of luck to Willie Maher