The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Jonno Gibbes new Ulster head coach. Great signing!!! Finally someone to sort out the forwards. Wonder will Leinster give us Dan Leavy ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on February 11, 2017, 03:14:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 03:08:47 PM
Also so much easier to watch a game on RTE when this commentator is on instead of 'Royle'.

My heart soared. I had been considering watching without sound.

Why is it not on BBC NI?

I had ITV (Mark Pougatch commentating) on when one of my friends kindly informed me Hugh Cahill was doing the game on RTE.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Italy's tackling is putrid. Really poor. CJ Stander caught a kick, and ran it ahead, and the Italian 14 just crumpled up at his feet. Then for a couple of the tries, they just didn't want to know.

Ireland played well, but Italy were as bad as I've seen them and TBH I wouldn't be reading a whole pile into that game as the pressure was off the Irish lads 5 minutes into the second half and the rest was junk time.

One thing that IMO Ireland are poor at, is that after every phase by and large the first receiver is static when receiving the pass and has to generate a bit of speed while the defensive line of the opposition charge in.

France will be more up for it in two weeks time and bludgeoned Scotland out of it yesterday, although the Scots were never out of it.

WRT to concussion and there were quite a few yesterday, is it more likely now as the tacklers are going in higher to prevent the offload?
There's less round the knees type tackling

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2017, 11:13:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Italy's tackling is putrid. Really poor. CJ Stander caught a kick, and ran it ahead, and the Italian 14 just crumpled up at his feet. Then for a couple of the tries, they just didn't want to know.

Ireland played well, but Italy were as bad as I've seen them and TBH I wouldn't be reading a whole pile into that game as the pressure was off the Irish lads 5 minutes into the second half and the rest was junk time.

One thing that IMO Ireland are poor at, is that after every phase by and large the first receiver is static when receiving the pass and has to generate a bit of speed while the defensive line of the opposition charge in.

France will be more up for it in two weeks time and bludgeoned Scotland out of it yesterday, although the Scots were never out of it.

WRT to concussion and there were quite a few yesterday, is it more likely now as the tacklers are going in higher to prevent the offload?
There's less round the knees type tackling

Italy looked terrible on Saturday but last week they gave Wales (who should really have beaten England) a lot of trouble until they eventually broke free late on. Scotland could and possibly should have beaten France. I think we're as good as anyone even with Schmidt's annoying tendencies and gameplan but I can't see us winning all the remaining games. Losing is Scotland due to a poor mindet/attitude was unforgivable and will haunt us. We're neck and neck with Wales for 4th in the World Rankings also so vitally important we get that slot by the end of the 6 nations.

Rudi

Watching the u20s, how good is this Larmer winger? He looks class a real future prospect.

PW Nally

Quote from: Rudi on February 24, 2017, 09:14:53 PM
Watching the u20s, how good is this Larmer winger? He looks class a real future prospect.
Serious pace and a big lad as well.

Heard commentator saying one of players has an all Ireland minor won with Kerry, who was that?

seafoid

Daithi Regan's son was playing on the u20 team last night

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-under-20s-impress-in-tight-victory-over-france-1.2988527

https://twitter.com/daithi_regan/status/835250086535888897

And how about Farage Fartass as the ultimate rugby player name?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JPGJOHNNYG

Looking pretty grim for ireland early on

imtommygunn

thewobbler

Ireland a much more capable team than France.

Will be even more capable again when the current back 3 are finally thrown off a cliff.

Avondhu star

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on February 25, 2017, 06:03:19 PM
Ireland a much more capable team than France.

Will be even more capable again when the current back 3 are finally thrown off a cliff.

Totally agree. Kearney and Earls are so predictable in attack. Would love to see O'Halloran getting a good run.

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on February 25, 2017, 06:48:03 PM
Good performance by Ireland. Not the greatest game you'll ever see but France looked quite decent against England and Scotland and bar the first 15 mins Ireland pretty much in control. Forced the French to give away a couple of stupid pens though on a couple of occasions Nigel was a bit kind to us too.

Thought Nigel was kind as well other than the one time he didn't play much of an advantage.

Zebo doesn't seem fit and was very lethargic well before the end.

Aaron Boone

Great win, no major chance of bonus unfortunately, that's always a post-win gripe.

I grew up never beating France.  All wins now feel good v them.