Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

thewobbler

When Donegal won the AI in 2012 , it was:

- maybe 25% because their defensive approach allowed them to protect slender leads.

- maybe 35% because because teams at that time had no idea how to play against their new system.

- but 40%+ because they'd 3 shithouse scoring machines playing up front, who never took a knock all season.

The reason they didn't win another one is the second two advantages got smaller.

Game is littered now with managers who've only read half the book and  can't see the wood for the trees.

Grow forwards. Win games.

Smurfy123

Genuinely looking forward to Ballyhollands approach at senior level this year wobbler. Do they stick or twist and play with more forwards with these fantastic minors and risk the chance of getting relegated? I'm not for one second saying them young lads not up to it but may be a bit much to ask with all the retirements and the suspended few for the first couple of games.

Smurfy123

Just on the abbey thing. Loughinisland have got themselves the biggest bluffer in Down Football. That is an already known fact before yesterday. Although he is not officially thaf manager of that under 15 team he is part of the set up

east down gael

'Biggest bluffer in down football'? How exactly? He brought cullyhanna to a senior championship final,their first if I'm not mistaken. Won a hogan with the abbey. Took Bredagh to two intermediate championships, and established them as a solid division two team.

downjim

I am really looking forward to seeing Loughinisland in the top flight.

Smurfy123

Run out of longstone cullyhanna and Down. Bredagh were massive favourites ffs catch yourself on Jody. Many years have bredagh failed to reach the top flight again?

east down gael

Massive favourites?wise up,everything you've just said is bullshit

Mourne Rover

Smurfy is not making much sense here. He condemns Jody Gormley for not getting Bredagh into D1 but he must know that the club's only previous short spell in the top league was some 40 years ago. He is completely wrong to claim that Bredagh were `massive favourites' in their two IFC wins under Gormley. Bredagh were actually huge outsiders against An Riocht in 2016, and available at 4/1 on the day, while the Liatroim final last year was always going to be the tight game it turned out to be. Keeping Loughinisland in D1 is not going to be easy but everyone who has worked with Gormley knows that he is a very accomplished coach

OgraAnDun

Tell that to anyone who has played MacRory at the Abbey for the last ten years.

Nanderson

Straightforward enough win for Down tonight in a tricky conditions. Offaly didn't really have any real threat from play and relied a lot on frees for their scores, particularly in the 1st half. Some very favourable decisions from the ref kept the game tight until the 1st goal. Always looked like  game where whoever got the 1st goal would push on and thankfully Quinn took his chance after Down missed a couple of earlier goal chances. Laverty at half back looks a real good player and links up play well as hes not afraid to get forward. Hes a bit like a more athletic O'Hanlon. Promotion looks almost secure now

Mourne Rover

We were ordinary enough in the first half and two points looked a vulnerable lead with Offaly having a strong wind after the break. However, we improved steadily as the game progressed against admittedly limited opposition who relied heavily on generous frees from a fussy referee to keep in touch.

Our defence is capably organised with Wells settling in nicely at full back and Laverty an impressive newcomer at wing half while O'Hagan had another outstanding night and McKernan was a reassuring presence.

There is always likely to be a problem when we play two non-midfielders at midfield, although Flynn was a little unfortunate to be replaced so early, and we really need Donnelly back before long.

Ryan Johnston had one of those games where he kept beating men but only went sideways, while Jerome may have been fortunate to stay on when he got involved with an opponent right on the half time whistle

O'Hare was excellent again up front, where Guinness had his moments but really should have palmed in his first half chance. Quinn did not let a couple of misplaced passes worry him when he came on and finished clinically for both of his goals.

One more win should take us up, as well as earning a day out at Croke Park, which would have to go down as a very satisfactory debut league campaign for Tally.

supersub

Best of luck to Clonduff in Croke Park on Sunday

Cuan12

Smurfy , as always your talking bull shite, it seems you have a bias against east down teams and loughinisland in particular, loughinisland were accused by some of being defensive last year , but if you look at the stats , yes they conceded fewer points than any other team in the division but they also scored more than any other team, I don't see the defensive side changing much but they have the talent to out score opponents, I watched your team last year and they were no different , they didn't go 15 on 15 , they targeted players and had their best defenders marking dangerous forwards and others dropping back , so don't sit behind your keyboard and talk crap about a manager who has achieved a lot in football, you obviously have never managed a senior team in your club, if yiu had you would be aware that Morden day managers set out their teams to win,MR Poucher showed that, I personally don't want my game to go ultra defensive , it doesn't have to be but I'm sure your no different than any other when your team wins especially against better opposition because your manager got it tactically right.This year we will see how the point go if your manager elects to go 15 on 15.